Monday, June 1, 2020

Reenactor Photo Challenge for the Month of May 2020


This is not one of my daily posted pictures.
However,  the message is there.
You will note that I use both reenactor and living historian to describe myself in this hobby.  Each,  however,  actually do have different definitions but are equally important.
Reenactors generally replicate notable moments in history:  famous battles  (such as Lexington & Concord),  great speeches  (Lincoln's Gettysburg Address,  for instance),  a historic happening  (like the Boston Massacre),  or even camp life for the soldier  (which can also border on living history).  Reenactors may be in 1st,  2nd,  or 3rd person.  Or sometimes a combination of all three.
Living Historians bring the past to life in a natural,  unassuming way,  usually through 1st person,  sometimes 2nd person,  and even 3rd person here and there.  Often,  however,  living history is done through immersion.  They move about as if they are truly there,  in the past,  and try not to speak of or acknowledge anything beyond the time they are representing.   This is not acting,  for there are no scripts to follow;  only their historical knowledge.  In fact,  there are times when they may actually feel as if they'd passed through time and could almost be there...in that moment,  which is what is strived for - traveling through time to capture the experience of being in an era long ago.
Many reenactors think that's silly.
Many living historians feel that reenactors don't go far enough.
I,  myself,  find pluses in both,  therefore I do both.
But no matter which style is done,  if done correctly,  each can be amazing.  You see,  it's the research - true research beyond Hollywood History or seeing it on a Facebook meme - that is a must.  Reenacting and living history is so much more than  "wearing funny clothes,"  as you will see in today's post.  And that's why the one thing you will notice in the majority of my pictures is that I am usually immersed in authentic  (or sometimes replicated)  surroundings,  whether I am in the 18th or the 19th century,  and usually doing - or attempting to do - historic activities.
My Living History experiences are changing my thought patterns and processes to one of  understanding and appreciating the past and applying it to my present;  it's always running in the background of my mind and provides a filter through which I view the world.
This hobby can do that to you.

Now we have a new month,  May,  and so my loss of time traveling continues...
Quarantined reenactor photo challenge:
Day 36  (a continuation from the May 1st post)  until this is all over and I can get back to the hobby I love.
We,  as reenactors and living historians,  are cut off from our hobby,  so a few of us are keeping up the passion with reenactment images.
It's easy!  Every day you should post an image of yourself in your period clothing with a small explanation/description:
(and it is here where I write my description for each photo,  located beneath each picture in this post)
Now I ask my other friends in the hobby to do the same on their own page to brighten up the news feed and get away from the doom & gloom for at least a short time.
And if you do,  please include your picture in my comments as well.
May 1 - Picture  #1
Strollinging the streets of Colonial Williamsburg early in the 
morning with very few modern visitors about while wearing my 
period clothing was one of my most favorite things to do during 
our visit there.  I saw this young lady walking along the road and 
struck up a conversation,  asking her what it was like to work in 
such a wonderful place.  Like many others who are employed 
here,  she gave a big smile and told me that it was an amazing 
experience and that she enjoyed it very much.
I can only imagine...
Pictures of the past showing daily life of the average 18th century 
citizen are not often seen.  My daughter,  who knows exactly 
what I like and look for in taking photographs,  captured the 
encounter like a professional!

May 2 - Picture  #2 
Ken the postmaster - that's what I portrayed for years:  a Civil 
War-era postmaster.  And every-so-often I was able to utilize a 
house,  like what you see here with me inside the 1858 Sixberry 
House at Charleton Park.  In later years this same house became 
our  "Logan Family Home" - but for a time it was the rural house 
where the postmaster lived and did business,  as was common 
practice during the 1860s.
By the way,  it is estimated that 180,000 letters a day were sent or 
received by soldiers during the Civil War.
Yeah...I had a busy job. 

May 3 - Picture  #3
One of the very cool things about being in Colonial Williamsburg 
is the fact that if you dress the part,  you can blend right into the 
world of 1775,  as you can see in this photo where I am entering 
the millinery shop to speak to the tailor  (this is actually a blend 
of two photographs to help make one). 
I love how the colonial presenters treat you as one of them,  a 
person from  "their time,"  especially if you are in period clothing 
- it so enhanced our visit there beyond my highest expectations.
We were hoping,  really hoping,  to get back to the Revolutionary 
City this year.  Doesn't look like that will happen,  unfortunately.

May 4 - Picture  #4
Back in 2008,  Patty & I and our kids vacationed in 
Gettysburg.  As you know,  when we vacation historically,  we 
also dress historically.
And we try to do cool historical things,  such as what we did 
here:  get a family tintype made,  just as it would had been done 
in the 1860s.  So we went to the well-known RJ Gibson 
Photography Studio in the heart of Gettysburg to have our image 
taken.  Photographer Rob Gibson uses an actual 1867 camera and 
posed us in the same manner as would have been done 150 years 
earlier.  Now,  Gibson is a well-known period photographer who 
has done covers for Civil War and history magazines as well as 
taken tintypes of the actors who were in the movies Gods & 
Generals and Cold Mountain. 
Our tintype turned out excellent,  and we still have it hanging 
proudly in our living room.

On May 5,  I did another slight change up in my introduction:
Quarantined reenactor photo challenge for the merry month of May:  Day 40 until this is all over and I can get back to the hobby I love.
We,  as reenactors and living historians,  are cut off from our hobby,  so a few of us are keeping up the passion by posting daily reenactment images of ourselves and/or others with a bit of an explanation:
(and my explanation goes here - see beneath each photo here for what I wrote)
May 5 - Picture  #5
As you may or may not know,  my friend Larissa and I have 
formed a partnership where we give living history presentations 
at various locations,  such as schools,  libraries,  fairs,  historical 
societies,  Sons of the American Revolution meetings,  historic 
farming societies,  and at reenactments,  such as what you see 
here taken last year at the Lac Ste.  Clair Voyageur event at Metro 
Beach.  In this photo,  we are speaking about a year in the life of 
colonial farm family,  and,  as you can see,  we do bring various 
period accessories for demonstration.
We also speak on Victorian farming,  as well as Paul Revere,  Sybil 
Ludington,  and Benjamin Franklin  (featuring special guest Bob 
Stark).
We look forward to presenting again...hopefully soon.

On May 6,  we were notified that one of the best events of the year was cancelled - the Ste. Claire Voyageur event which takes place the last weekend in August - - nearly 4 months away!
So I changed up my introduction to read:
Quarantined reenactor photo challenge for the merry month of May:  Day 41 until this is all over and I can get back to the hobby I love,  which,  at this point,  looks to be a very long time.
May 6 - Picture  #6
My lineage is filled mainly with farmers.  I was able to trace my 
Sicilian grandfather's line back to the Sicily of the later 1700s.
All were farmers.  
Only when grandpa came to the US in 1912 did he 
stop farming.  Oh!  But he had magnificent gardens!
I traced my English line to mid-1500s England.
Yep---they,  too,  were all farmers.  In fact,  they first stepped foot 
on Pennsylvania soil in 1710 and continued farming clear up 
through the mid-to-late 19th century.
So is it any wonder that I present and represent farmers of the 
past?  Oh,  I certainly have a fascination and appreciation for my 
agricultural ancestors,  for they built America as much as anyone else.
Here I am,  then,  in this picture with my youngest son Miles,  
sitting on the steps of the historic Firestone Farm during the Civil 
War Remembrance event at Greenfield Village in 2018.
Just a farmer and son...

With this next photograph I again made another slight change to my introduction:
'Now I ask my other friends in the hobby to do the same on their own page to brighten up the news feed and get away from the doom & gloom,  which there really seems to be a lot of,  for at least a short time.'
May 7 - Picture  #7
This was taken at the 2019 Patriot's Day event I put together at 
Historic Mill Race Village in Northville,  commemorating the 
1st official battles of the American Revolution:  the Battle of 
Lexington and Concord,  taking place on April 19,  1775.
"Concord resident,  Phebe Bliss Emerson,  the minister's wife,  
was deeply frightened.  According to family tradition,  Phebe 
was  "delicate,"  a euphemism that commonly referred to a mental 
state rather than a physical condition.  She had heard the alarm 
from her African slave,  Frank,  who came running into her 
chamber with an axe in his hand,  shouting that the Redcoats were 
coming.  Mrs.  Emerson turned white as a Concord coverlet and 
fainted away on the spot.  When she revived,  she looked around 
for her husband and saw him outside in the yard helping people 
of the town who had gathered in front of the Old Manse  (their 
home).  Phebe Emerson rapped sharply on the windowpane to get 
her husband's attention,  and told him that,  'she thought she 
needed him as much as the others.' "
In this wonderfully unintentional depiction you see Jennifer Mailley,  Ken Roberts,  and myself.
And that is Susan Hanson in the window.



May 8 - Picture  #8
There is a song that most every Civil War reenactor is familiar 
with.  It was composed and recorded by Jay Unger in 1982,  and 
once it became the theme song of Ken Burn's acclaimed Civil 
War documentary,  the tune became as much associated with the 
Civil War as When Johnny Comes Marching Home.
The song is called Ashokan Farewell.
It is a hauntingly beautiful piece.
What an honor,  then,  it was for me to hear Jay Unger perform 
this song live at Greenfield Village's Civil War Remembrance a 
few years ago,  and then to actually meet the man himself!
Here in today's picture,  he and I are together right after his 
performance.
If you are interested in hearing his  "Ashokan Farewell,"  check out the clip:


May 9 - Picture  #9
Colonial Williamsburg is like no other place if you love our early 
American history.  When we were there in 2016,  I remained in 
my period clothing the entire four days of our stay  (luckily I have 
more than one set of clothing!),  and was pulled into the world of 
1775 - not just by the 18th century surroundings,  but by those 
who work there.  Once they saw my clothing was accurate to the 
time  (and not a costume),  they accepted me as one of their own,  
and that in itself made this trip  (as Patty says)  the best vacation 
we've ever had.
We want to go back.
As you see in this picture,  it was easy to fall into the past and 
blend in with the colonial populace;  just another day in 
Williamsburg,  June 1775.
Our plans to go back this summer have been squelched,  but,  
God Willing,  maybe next year...maybe next year...
(By the way,  I know it looks like the gentleman is speaking on a 
cell phone,  but if you look close,  he is only scratching his ear.  
Yeah...I had to do a double-take, too!  Gotta get the 21st century 
thought out of my head!)

May 10 - Picture  #10
I mentioned in a previous picture that farming runs deep in the 
roots of my family,  going back at least to the mid-1500s.
In this picture,  representing the 1760s,  I am helping to care for 
the kitchen garden of the 18th century Daggett House 
located in Greenfield Village.  I like to think I am honoring my 
ancestors in this manner.
"Let us not forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most 
important labor of man.  When tillage begins,  other arts will 
follow.  The farmers,  therefore,  are the founders of civilization."
~ Daniel Webster
"Farm families did not farm to make a profit.  
They farmed to flourish as a family."
~Richard Lyman Bushman
"Farm life offers the complete satisfaction of knowing that each 
day's work has been truly productive,  a joy scarce in present 
times.  In the old days,  whether you were a blacksmith,  a 
butcher,  a carpenter,  a politician,  or a banker,  you were also a 
farmer.  Before setting out for the day,  there were chores to be 
done that often took as much time as a complete day's work for 
the average man of today."
~Eric Sloane

May 11 - Picture  #11
Today is our 35th wedding anniversary - and with the whole 
coronavirus thing going on,  we are not able to celebrate in the 
manner we had hoped.
However,  ten years ago  (for our 25th)  we did a renewal of the 
vows...as if it were the 1860s.  Patty sewed her own period dress  
(with help from close friend Sandy),  and,  with Mike Gillett 
officiating,  we renewed our vows at Eastpointe's 1872 school 
house.  Our children were our wedding party,  Glen Morningstar's 
Ruffwater String Band provided music for dancing,  and many of 
our guests - the reenactors - all dressed in their 1860s finest.
It was a wonderful way to celebrate our 25th - a literal ball.
In fact,  in the comments below you can click the link to read 
more about it  (and see plenty of pictures).
Here is the link to our 25th Anniversary Wedding Celebration


May 12 - Picture  #12
Mehetable,  the wife of John Giddings,  greeted me at the door as 
stopped by for a spring evening visit.  The Giddings House,  
built around 1750,  has been relocated from New Hampshire to 
Greenfield Village in Dearborn.  This picture was taken during 
the Holiday Nights event last December,  though there is nothing  
"Christmas-y"  about it,  which makes it,  instead,  to be a good 
evening shot,  which we do not get to see too often.

May 13 - Picture  #13
Over the years a few of us have formed a sort of living 
history/immersion group where we recreate a family of the 
1860s.  When we get together,  such as what you see in this 
picture from inside the 1858 Sixberry House in Charlton Park,  
we become the Logan family and we go into a 1st person mode.  
Nothing is scripted so we are not acting;  we utilize the 
knowledge that we have of the time to recreate our lives as we 
would have lived had we been back in the 1860s.
Of course,  without Larissa,  Jackie,  Violet,  Carrie,  and 
numerous others,  who are amazing at immersion,  none of this 
could ever happen.  They are the best.
It is the ultimate living history experience for us,  especially since 
we've been doing this for years together inside an 
actual period home. 
God willing,  we'll be back there again this year.

Another slight change to my introduction:
As we living historians who reenact the past are cut off from our hobby,  a few of us are keeping up the passion by posting daily reenactment images of ourselves and/or others with a bit of an explanation:
May 14 - Picture  #14
Today's picture is of Amy Bel S and I taken in Colonial 
Williamsburg.  Amy is an amazing presenter in Williamsburg and 
is always at the ready to strike up a good conversation about the 
time between the Stamp Act  (1765)  through the rest of the 
Revolutionary War and beyond  (as you see she and I doing 
here).  She knows her stuff but is also willing to listen and hear 
other opinions and thoughts as well.
That's what makes a good historian.
And she certainly is.
Now,  there is a story behind these pictures:
As Amy and I spoke,  I knew I needed to capture the moment,  
for it looked and felt very 18th century real,  so I asked a passerby 
if she would kindly photograph us during our conversation,  and 
she happily took my camera and shot away.  The best part is that 
she seemed to be a professional photographer and took nearly a 
dozen pictures from varying angles,  from ground level to porch level.
Thank you again to this very kind woman.  These  "natural"  
pictures of Amy and I are among my most favorites.

May 15 - Picture  #15
This is probably one of the most unique of all the pictures I've 
been posting.  It is an actual tintype taken of the front of the 
Firestone Farmhouse on its original site in Columbiana,  Ohio,  
back around 1876.  In it we see the Firestone grandmother Sally 
Anne with Robert,  Harvey  (who began Firestone Tires),  and Elmer.
But I see a few more people in this tintype than whose names you 
have just read:  from left there is myself  (white jacket),  my wife 
Patty,  and Larissa,  and standing in front of the window to the 
right is my son,  Miles.  Sitting down on the porch in front of 
Miles is Sofia and Jean.
Now just how the heck did we get into this authentic picture with 
the Firestone family of the 1870s? 
Hmmm...maybe we were really there...I mean,  photographs don't 
lie...do they?

May 16 - Picture  #16
New Year's Eve 2016 or 1775 - your pick.
A night time photograph of myself and historic Greenfield 
Village presenter extraordinaire,  Jordan  (on her last night as a 
presenter),  taken inside the 1750 home of John Giddings.  The 
room is lit only by the blazing fire in the hearth and the few 
candles from the wall sconces and on the table.  The first picture 
shows us with the camera flash,  while the second shows us as it 
actually was.  Many people today don't realize what a dark world 
our 18th century ancestors lived in without the advantage of our 
electric light or even the brighter oil lamps of the 19th century.  
And it was darker still for the greater majority of the colonial 
populace,  for the Giddings were a well-to-do family and could 
afford to light multiple candles,  while most others would maybe 
have one candle lit.  And even then,  they would probably not 
have a candle going if there was a fire blazing in the hearth,  for 
that would be considered wasteful.
So when you see movies or TV shows with multiple candles lit 
and a fire blazing,  that just would not have happened,  unless 
they had money to burn.
Jordan so very kindly responded to my Facebook post:
"This was a lovely evening,  so glad to see this photo and remember it!  And I was so happy to see you on my last night too!  Hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy,  I enjoy all of your posts while we are unable to be at our favorite place this spring."


May 17 - Picture  #17
This photo was taken at Wolcott Mill during our Harvest Home 
presentation.  Every year,  21st Michigan members present an 
1860s fall harvest,  where we show and tell about harvest time 
during the period of the Civil War.
One of the things I enjoy speaking on is of the heirloom apples - 
varieties such as roxbury russet,  rambo,  maiden's blush,  and 
grimes golden - that in the 19th century were once as popular as 
the honeycrisp,  fuji,  gala,  and empire apples are today.  Beside 
the heirloom varieties,  I also enjoy talking about the history of 
the apples in North America:
Did you know that apples are not native to this continent?
Did you know there really was a Johnny Appleseed who planted 
apple seeds throughout western Pennsylvania and the Ohio valley?
Did you know that apples originally were more for drinking  (as in cider)  
than eating,  for water at that time was not a very healthy drink.
Yep---this and so much more.
(See below for a link to a bit of apple history) - -
To read more on America's history of apples,  click HERE


May 18 - Picture  #18
The Navarre-Anderson Trading Post,  located just south of 
Detroit in Monroe,  Michigan,  was built in 1789!  That's pretty 
amazing because actual 18th century structures from our state are 
pretty darn rare  (only a total of four exist - the other three are on 
Mackinac Island).  Look at it this way:  George Washington,  
John Adams,  Thomas Jefferson,  James Madison,  Benjamin 
Franklin,  and nearly every other of our nation's founders were 
still alive and still active when this was built.  It is the most 
complete example of French-Canadian construction in 
the Old Northwest.
In this shot,  a few of us are showing a little of how it may have 
looked as a trading post back in the post-Revolutionary War 
days.  As Tony Gerring looked on,  Ken Roberts wanted to 
purchase a Long Land Pattern Musket  ("Brown Bess")  that had 
been previously traded in.  The two of us bartered a bit,  and he got 
me down from my original price of 3 pounds to 2 pounds 10 shillings.
Imagine being able to bring the past alive in such a locally 
historical building.
This is what living history is all about.
And,  a little history  "extra" - - - - 
1783 - The area that is now Michigan was included with the territory ceded by Great Britain to the United States by the Treaty of Paris  (1783)  that ended the American Revolutionary War.  However,  the U.S.  did not take control of the territory until 1796.
1796 - Detroit and other posts in Michigan were turned over to the United States under terms of the Jay Treaty.  Wayne County was established as an administrative division of the Northwest Territory.


May 19 - Picture  #19
Every-so-often a few of us will get together and kind of create 
our own historical event.  Yes,  we do this at Greenfield Village 
quite a bit,  but we also will visit that open-air-museum a bit north 
near Flint:  Crossroads Village.  There are two things about 
Crossroads that I absolutely love:
1)  All of the historical buildings/structures here comes from 
Michigan - mostly mid-19th century Michigan.
2)  The layout of Crossroads is the best!  They have dirt roads,  
wood-plank sidewalks,  and lots of trees,  really giving it that 
19th century small-town flavor and feel.
So when a few of us reenactors get together there once in a while 
in our period clothing,  we help make the past come to life in our 
own manner,  and the workers have told us how much they enjoy 
it when we do visit.  We've been repeatedly asked to return,  and 
we try to,  though it's been a few years.  This year we were going 
to make it happen but,  unfortunately,  they decided  (much too 
early on,  in my opinion)  to close the place for the entire season.
Ah,  well.  Maybe next year.
In this photo we are strolling through the village,  perhaps 
returning from church or from procuring necessities from town.
A scene out of America's 19th century past.

May 20 - Picture  #20
Today's picture was taken at the Daggett House in Greenfield 
Village.  Yes,  I have quite a few pictures in and around this,  my 
favorite house in the village,  which was built around 1750 
by Samuel Daggett.  
Every-so-often,  I am able to help out the presenters  *just a 
little*  when beer is being made,  which is quite an honor for me.  
Beer & cider was the drink of choice for our colonial 
ancestors,  for water was not very safe to drink at that time.
And,  no,  most did not drink to get drunk - they drank because 
it's what they had that was safe,  and even children would 
drink beer.
This picture also shows the variety of clothing that was 
fashionable during the 1760s.

May 21 - Picture  #21
I've mentioned previously that as living historians we get to  
"meet"  many famous people of the past - and,  unlike yours truly  
(who presents as Paul Revere),  many actually look like who they 
are portraying,  as you may have seen with the photo of myself 
with President Abraham Lincoln,  as portrayed by the great 
Fred Priebe,  from last month.
Well,  for today's picture here I am with General Ulysses S. 
Grant  (as portrayed by the late Robert Mulvihill).  Mr. Mulvihill 
and his wife were well-known for playing Gen.  Grant and Mrs.  
Julia Grant,  and their presence at the Jackson, Michigan Civil 
War Muster has been greatly missed.
By the way,  this weekend the History Channel will be airing a 
three-part miniseries about Grant,  which will premiere on May 25.

May 22 - Picture  #22 - Happy Birthday to me!
I took over 1300 pictures in the four days we were at Colonial 
Williamsburg in 2016,  and of them all,  this one is at or near the 
top:  it's one of me and my wife Patty as we strolled along Duke 
of Gloucester Street on an early June morning, before there were 
visitors around.
Just being surrounded - engulfed...immersed - in all of that 
colonial history while in our period clothing gave a feeling like 
I've not had before or since.  I mean,  everywhere we looked, we 
were in 1775.
Just...wow---unexplainable.
And the acceptance we found in that Revolutionary City was 
heartfelt,  considering this was our first time to Williamsburg;  it 
was as if we'd been long-time friends.
Hmmm...maybe we were and just didn't realize it...
I have such wonderful friends on Facebook.
I've also joined some pretty awesome history pages as well,  including Turn:  We the People Revolt,  where Jackie Lucia wrote me a pretty darn awesome poem  (as she does yearly).
Knowing that I portray my hero,  Paul Revere,  at many reenactments,  this was her gift to me:

Happy Birthday Ken!  Here’s the end to your annual poem!  And a push for anyone not yet reading your blog to do so.
Enjoy your day! ❤️🎂

Listen,  everyone and you shall hear
Of the midnight command of Paul Revere,
On the eighteenth of April,  in Seventy-Five:
Hardly a man is now alive who
remembers that famous day and year - but we have Ken G to recount and blog you see
and while this is a tale of that ride long ago-
its also a story and tribute to Ken  (because I say so)!
While Paul Revere dwelled in Boston’s North End
Ken lives in Eastpointe with Patty,  his dear wife and friend.
Paul struggled to work and keep earning money
Today its Ken sadly saying  “do they read my blog Patty honey?”

But like on the night of the famous ride
it was an ideal eve to take a man’s work in stride.
Said Paul on that historic night, “If the British march
By land or sea from the town to-night,
Hang a lantern aloft in the belfry-arch
Of the North-Church-tower, as a signal-light,—
One if by land, and two if by sea.”
and instead of on the opposite shore I’ll be I’m stepping forward in history, please bear with me.

Its the year 2020 and a scholar toils on the Michigan shore  (yup, that’s he!)
Ready to write and spread the alarm
Through every American village and farm,
with Passion for the Past - with it’s knowledge we will arm.
while That night Paul with a muffled oar
Silently rowed to the Charlestown shore,
tonight as the moon rose over Michigan bay,
Ken sat sighing;  crumpled papers,  books around him lay
Patty approached with her jaw ajar
reflected across the moon,  like a prison-bar,
Ken’s shrug was magnified
as he mumbled,  “does anyone still care about this?”
(alas yes!)  as Meanwhile,  history and Revere buffs
dive in and read with eager eyes and  ears,
Till in the silence around them they can hear
The muster of men at the barrack door,
The sound of arms,  and the tramp of feet,
And the measured tread of the grenadiers
all researched and spun from
Ken’s own pen,  Patty just smiled  “you’ll see dear friend.”
Ken continued to study and fine tune his craft.
Up all hours with his stealthy tread,
keys tapping all around Eastpointe overhead,
retrieving primary sources from their perch
On the sombre rafters,  that round Ken laid
Masses and semblance of history made—
By the trembling hand measured and firm
to help even the most stalwart love our past and learn.
To the highest levels our minds will take
Ken sometimes pauses with a look down
In moments all are asleep in Eastpointe town.
poignancy and prose flowing o’er all
Ken brings us When we heed his call.

But back to Revere who in the churchyard,  lays dead,
But this night-became a testament to his will!,
And when modern man Ken doubted himself as well - the winds of fate whispered  “all will be well.”
For Wrapped in silence so deep and still
That we can hear, like a sentinel’s tread,
The vigilant blog message as it went
Creeping along from tent to tent,
And whispering,  “All is well!,”   “Damn Ken you’re swell!”

Ken guides us to feel the spell
Of places and  hours,  secret aspirations and dread
Of lonely belfries and the dead;  if it's the past all over it we’ll tread!

Ken will ensure your thoughts are bent
On a shadowy something ages away,
Where the river widens to meet the bay
A joyous mind that bends and floats
like the rising tide, like Paul’s bridge of boats.

In quarantine we are impatient to learn mount and ride,
Booted and knowledgeable,  with a heavy stride,
Tho Long ago on the shore walked Paul Revere
he still lives - thankfully!  Because Ken is here.

We picture how Paul patted his horse’s side,
Now gazed on the landscape far and near,
Then impetuous stamped the earth,
And turned and tightened his saddle-girth;
And Ken dutifully spun tales with eager search
To tell us more of the old North Church,
his tales rise above tik tok and facebook still
those are fleeting, Ken’s words endure - they will!
And lo!  as Patty looks upon Ken in her sight,
A glimmer,  and then a gleam of light!
Ken springs to his writing the pages he turns,
but something lingers and gazes,  till full on his sight
A second lamp in the Giorlando house burns!
Ken missed the spectral hurry of hoofs in the village street,
as well as the shape in the moonlight,  a bulk in the dark,
beneath his window was a hiss like a creak
“oh my its Paul’s ghost”  Ken cried  “oh creep!”
there  sat Paul Revere on his steed with face fearless and fleet:
Ken craned his ear so he could hear over the street.
Paul’s voice cut through the night deep as he whispered,
“Ken keep writing!  Remember our past!  Keep inspiring!  Your efforts will this time outlast!  Tis all!”
Thus through the dark and through the spectral sight,
The fate of a blog was established that night
Just as the fates struck Paul long ago,  they came again and deemed it so.
The ages favor industry,  devotion and learning all for self discipline a timeless yen.
And of course this is all embodied in Ken.

Paul’s spark struck out by that steed,  and in his flight,  ignited Ken’s pen and his blog of might!
Kindled the blog into flame with its heat.
Paul left the village and mounted the steep,
And beneath him,  tranquil and broad and deep,
was Ken mouth agape with saucer wide eyes,  Patty just quipped,  “well what a nice surprise!”

Thus through any medium,  crossing any state or hedge
Ken’s blog rocks on,  its message loud the suspense on edge!!
and through it we see Paul Revere alive  - we can envision his strong steed as he rides.
so when it sounds quarantine on your household’s clock
picture how Revere crossed the bridge into Medford town.
Ken will make you hear the crowing of the cock,
And the barking of the farmer’s dog,
And he’ll describe the damp of the river-fog,
so rest and read when sun goes down.
and when it’s one by Ken’s bedside clock,
He will write of Paul galloping into Lexington.
and how he saw the gilded weathercock
enchanting tales spinning as the night passes,
we can no longer be bored,  blank and bare,
so when you want adventure to hear
or liberty,  battle and how we got here.
as Revere commanded,  it’s Ken’s blog - its the source to look upon.
so if its insomnia at 2 am
click on that blog and go to Concord town
Hear the bleating of the flock,
And the twitter of birds among the trees,
And feel the breath of the morning breeze
as it nudges you - but you’re hooked!  More please!
later we rest safe and asleep our beds
ken telling of who at the bridge will be first to fall,
Who that day will be lying dead,
Pierced by a British musket-ball.
Thus as it is written..
Ken’s blog is best.  and in the books you have read,
How the British Regulars fired and fled,—
How the farmers gave them ball for ball,
From behind each fence and farmyard-wall,
and chasing each fact and detailing them all
Then checking all sources to edit again.
Under the quarantine Ken will
continue his craft
For our pleasure  (still not yet reading his blog?  Damn!  You are daft!)

we’re grateful for the night in which toils Ken G;
And how through the web he makes history come alive for us to see.
Reaching every tired man and weary woman with a
A message of strength and bolstering hope.
A voice in the darkness,  Ken is food for the brain..
And the blog that shall echo forevermore!
For, borne on the night-wind of the Past,
Passion for the Past!  - forever may it last!
In our hour of darkness and peril and need,
we awaken and listen and read
The persistent tapping of that pen
And the midnight message of our dear Ken!

Thank you,  Jackie.  You honor me and I am truly touched by your sentiment.  In these trying times,  you really helped to make my day that much better.
~~~


Onto May 23 - - - - -

On May 22,  the governor of Michigan decided to keep most of our state under a lock-down until mid June and under a State of Emergency until the end of June  (though I believe she's going to take it much farther than that).
I get the feeling that summer is through,  and probably the same with autumn as well.
So,  rather than use  "quarantine picture,"   I decided to change my post heading on Facebook to read:
"Lock down"  reenactor photo challenge for the merry month of May:  Day 57  (which is how many days I'd actually been doing this at that point)  until this is all over,  which,  at this point,  looks to be a very long time.
May 23 - Picture  #23
Research showed that when he was a young attorney,  Abraham 
Lincoln once practiced law in the old courthouse building you see 
us inside here,  which was built in 1840 and originally located in 
Postville  (now Lincoln),  Illinois.
And it was during the annual Memorial Day Weekend Civil War 
Remembrance event that I came up with an idea:
since the Village was now swarming with mid-19th century folk,  
what a great opportunity to recreate what it could have looked 
like having the townsfolk await court cases.  Well, it wasn't too 
difficult for me to find willing participants to help out in my little 
1860s courtroom photography session.
During the 19th century,  court was in session only twice a year,  
and could be a raucous affair;  it was quite entertaining for the 
people sitting on the hard wood benches or peeking through the 
windows  (which were usually opened due to the heat from all of 
the bodies inside).  At that time,  the men were able to sit in the 
front seats while the women would have to sit toward the back 
and sides,  and sometimes even peer through the 
open windows or doorway.
It certainly added quite a bit of excitement,  however,  for the 
country townsfolk,  for this was about the only time a small town 
could have some real big-time excitement.
Maybe one day we will be allowed to actually do a short 
courtroom scenario!

May 24 - Picture  #24
Ahhh...back to Colonial Williamsburg we go,  where I had 
another opportunity to meet a Founding Father,  Patriot Patrick 
Henry,  the man who gave us  "Give me liberty or give me 
death!"  He also served as the first and sixth post-colonial 
Governor of Virginia, from 1776 to 1779 and from 1784 to 1786.
Beginning with The Stamp Act,  Patrick Henry established his 
reputation as an uncompromising opponent of imperial policy.  
"Give me liberty,  or give me death!"  is a quotation attributed to 
Patrick Henry from a speech he made to the Second Virginia 
Convention on March 23,  1775,  at St. John's Church in 
Richmond, Virginia.
Henry is credited with having swung the balance in convincing 
the convention to pass a resolution delivering Virginian troops for 
the Revolutionary War.  Among the delegates to the convention 
were future U.S.  Presidents Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.
And I got to meet him!
By the way,  he gave me a great compliment on my attire  (lol).

May 25 - Picture  #25
For Memorial Day I thought I would highlight someone who I 
have proudly been friends with for nearly 20 years by posting a 
picture taken at one of the best of the Civil War reenactments - 
Greenfield Village's Civil War Remembrance.
You see me here with the man who many in our state have never 
heard of,  but played such an important role in our - and the 
Nation's - history.  Michigan Senator Jacob Howard  (as portrayed 
here by Dave Tennies)  worked closely with President Lincoln in 
the drafting and passing of the 13th amendment abolishing slavery.
Mr. Tennies does an amazing job as the Senator,  
who served from 1862 to 1871.
I certainly do meet some amazing people 
in my time-travel expeditions!

May 26 - Picture  #26
Yes,  this is me!  
I had my shadow portrait done in Colonial Williamsburg,  
and I am happy to say there is more than a remote likeness.
Many people today call these silhouetted profiles  'silhouettes,'  
though that term was seldom used until the early decades of the 
19th century,  and the name has stuck here into the 21st century.  
But back in the 1700s they were actually known as  'shadow 
portraits'  or  'shades.'  They represented a cheap but effective 
alternative to the portrait miniature,  and skilled specialist artists 
could cut a high-quality bust portrait from black paper,  by far the 
most common style,  in a matter of minutes,  working purely by 
eye.  Other artists,  especially from the later part of the 1700s,  
drew an outline on paper,  then painted it in,  which could be 
equally as quick and the quality just as well done.
And that's the way mine was done - painted.
By the way,  yes,  I keep my hair long,  and you see it here tied 
back in the ever-popular and fashionable  "queue."
This is probably my favorite souvenir from Williamsburg.

May 27 - Picture  #27  (a and b - a two-for-one)
Through the years we have done many different scenarios,  but in a strange almost morbid sort of way it seems like death and mourning tends to be one of the most popular subjects among reenactors and visitors alike for some reason.  Probably because everyone in every time can identify with it.  In fact,  Karen Rae Mehaffey,  who wrote a booklet on the subject,  said  "(In the 19th century) Americans responded to death as a constant companion, and even embraced it with resignation and ritual."
Inside the home mourning took on an appearance that many here 
in the 21st century would consider morbid,  for virtually anything 
reflective  (or shiny in many cases)  would be covered,  such as 
mirrors and glass of any kind,  including picture frame glass.  
Crepe could also be draped over fireplace mantels,  windows,  
shelves,  and other household items,  especially in the bedroom of 
the deceased.
One year,  while we were at Waterloo Farm,  we not only did a 
mourning scenario and turned the house into a house of 
mourning,  including having the coffin set up in the parlor,  but 
then we took it a giant leap further:  we had a funeral procession 
to the family graveyard.  Yep - I was one of the pallbearers  
(as seen in the second picture here).
This was an awesome scenario.
In a morbid sort of way.
To learn more about mourning in the mid-1800s,  please click HERE


May 28 - Picture  #28 - another two-fer
There is a little photo-trickery here.
I enjoy playing with my Paint Shop Pro computer program and will use it to enhance many of my pictures.  Sometimes it's something as simple as erasing telephone poles & wires or maybe it can be a bit more difficult,  such as removing modern people from a period scene.
Then there are some pictures,  if everything is photographed in the right way,  where I can recreate an entire new scene,  such as what you see here.  The original picture is of my friend Jackie and I taken with the carriage that Frankenmuth sets up for souvenir photographs  (I'm supposing).
I took it the extra mile.
I had planned out in my head what I wanted to do,  so I had the 
photographer take a number of photographs from different angles 
to give me more options.  I then went to Greenfield Village and 
took photographs of their horses hooked up to their carriages 
from a variety of angles as well.  Finally,  I found two or three 
backgrounds - mostly from Colonial Williamsburg - that suited 
the look I wanted.
So!  I included here the original picture as well as the Paint Shop 
Pro  'recreated by enhancement'  picture.
By the way,  when I post such a picture as this,  I always try to 
make sure to denote that there has been some touch ups made.  
Otherwise,  like 98% of my shots,  what you see is what I saw - 
all original.

May 29 - Picture  #29
This picture of my family was taken a few years back and,  for 
the first and only time,  included my daughter-in-law.
Reenacting is really not for her,  and that's okay.  She gave it a try.
This was also the last year my son,  Tom - her husband - 
reenacted.  With his job,  music,  and hypnotism,  he keeps pretty 
busy,  but history and tradition is there,  for he raises chickens,  
has wonderful heirloom vegetable gardens,  and performs a 
variety of music - new and old.
And since the year of this picture,  representing the 1860s,  my 
son & daughter-in-law have had three kids!
Also my son,  Robbie,  is now engaged to be married!
Time keeps on slipping into the future...
even if the future is in the past...

May 30 - Picture  #30
It's not everyday that one gets to meet the Father of our Country,  
and yet,  here I am,  standing next to George Washington himself!
This is one of the coolest things about living history;  if you've 
been paying attention you've seen I've also been photographed 
with Patrick Henry,  Abraham Lincoln,  General Grant,  and 
Senator Jacob Howard.  And there are more famous folks from 
history to come in my daily lockdown pictures,  for I have had 
numerous opportunities during my time-travels to meet and even 
get to know some of the most famous from America's past.
My friend,  Robert Jones,  has only been representing George 
Washington for a short time,  but he is doing a fine job in his 
presentations.
And he does bear a striking resemblance to our 1st President!

For my last picture for the month of May,  I,  once again,  changed my wording slightly to reflect the current situation:
Lock down/riot reenactor photo challenge for the not so merry month of May...
Notice I now included the word  "riot" ?  Also,  the  "not so"  merry month of May.  As a Facebook friend of mine wrote,  "What's going on?  Is it 1967 all over again?"  (If you don't know what happened in 1967,  click HERE)
The coronavirus seemed to be ending a slow but certain death and now race riots.
Yep---2020 is certainly a year that won't soon be forgotten,  unfortunately.
May 31 - Picture  #31
This was taken at the Port Sanilac Civil War Days event a few 
years ago when Marty Nemeckay Jr brought his horse,  Little 
Jac,  to take part in the battle.  He then allowed me to ride it 
around the camp for a bit,  which was one of the coolest things 
I've done in this hobby.
You see,  Patty and I took horse riding lessons back when we 
were first married,  and like riding a bike,  you never forget how 
to ride one,  so I am still pretty fair at it.
I enjoyed our saunter up and down the rows of tents.  I had heard 
that Patty wasn't aware that I was riding and she was quite 
surprised when I came along our reenacting  "street."
I am so thankful that Marty Jr allowed and entrusted me with 
Little Jac and that 21st Michigan member,  Christa Scheneman,  
captured this image!

So...the way things are going,  it looks like there will another collection of my lockdown pictures covering the month of June...and,  unfortunately,  methinks even possibly into July.
However,  a few of us did have an unofficial mini-backyard reenactment,  of which you will see posted here on Passion for the Past in about a week!
Also on the Passion for the Past horizon I have postings coming up on the oldest structures still standing in Michigan  (some dating back to the 18th century!),  summer in the good old colony days,  accessorizing your 18th century camp...and even your home,  and a few more  "best of"  posts as well.
Anyhow,  I hope you are enjoying this journey to reenacting past.  I easily have enough photos to fill literally years worth of days.  But I am itching to get into the way-back machine and have the rest of our warm weather weekends filled with new time-travel opportunities once again.
Here's to hoping and praying new memories of old times can be made!

Until next time,  see you in time.


























~   ~   ~



1 comment:

Jacqueline Lucia said...

I’m so honored that you liked the rendition and I want to note on my cv that I was mentioned on your blog. I love the blog and its provided content and comfort (as well as tremendous learning) through many a dreary day. I think many of us think the world is a better place because you are in it.