Friday, January 15, 2021

The End of the Season: An 1860s Christmas Afterglow

Covid has not only knocked the crap out of  many people physically,  but it also has collateral damage---including those of us who love doing living history.  Reenacting was hit pretty hard;  nearly every reenactment across our Nation was cancelled in 2020,  and the first part of  '21 looks to be more of the same,  to some extent.
We'll see how the second half of the year goes.
Now,  before you come at me with a snarky  "boo hoo"  for missing my favorite hobby,  remember that we all have our right to complain because it has affected and continues to affect us in different ways in dealing with it.   However,  contrary to the way so many think these days,  this does not mean I have no sympathy for others.
Throughout 2020 I've found numerous opportunities to wear my period clothing without official reenactments,  whether due to my many visits to Greenfield Village,  attending private events with limited participation,  or even something as simple as creating a small event in my own home.
And with Christmas reenactments cancelled,  that's what I did here.
Now,  you may recall the large membership gathering the 21st Michigan Civil War reenactors usually have at the annual Christmas party held at the old 1872 school house.  Well,  it was not to be this year.  However,  I came up with an alternate plan:  why not have a small period-dress gathering of my own?  And it could even be held at my house!  Unfortunately,  I could not invite everyone,  though I did have those few who I see often take part. 
This is how it turned out:
Our rather small Christmas afterglow gathering.
Only seven of us but we certainly had a  *nice*  time.

For some,  like my wife and Candy Cary,  this was their first
time wearing their 1860s clothing in a year or more.

Carrie and Larissa~
We spoke of some of the past events we participated in
and have high hopes to be able to resume our hobby
again this year after the break of 2020.

Carrie~
Here in mid-January our Christmas decorations are still up.  The Christmas season seems to go so fast that we have a tough time taking them down,  but the day after this little gathering,  we began the undecorating process.

Jim & Jackie~

Jim & Candy~
As evening rolled around,  out came the candles.

Jackie & Larissa~
I would've loved to light the candles on the tree,  as I did earlier in the season,  but it is so dry now that I dare not take a chance.  However,  below is this same tree when it was freshly cut and the candles were glowing beautifully:

Taken December 6

Now,  alas,  Christmas is over.  Our trees are down,  and so are our wreaths and ceiling garland & lights.  And this little gathering of friends,  which was a quiet affair,  was exactly what I meant it to be,  and was the end of it all for this season.  Just as it should be,  it ended with friends getting together to talk history,  to remember reenactments past,  and speak of a hopeful future.  It was uplifting and,  dare I say,  a bit therapeutic during these horrid times.
So,  maybe this ending is a sign of good beginnings for the year of  '21.
I pray it is so.

Until next time,  see you in time.


















 ~   ~   ~   ~

2 comments:

jenni1st said...

Looks lovely. I'm glad you enjoyed, and I wouldn't dream of minimizing your missing of your hobby. We all have one, and yours is sharing something about which we should all have more knowledge. I'm glad you got to light the candles on your tree for awhile. - patsydandridge

Olde Dame Holly said...

Oh! I am so happy to have happened upon your blog! It's a joy to read it and see your photographs so generously shared. I don't know why anyone would chastize you for missing your hobby. I know my husband was greatly cast down because their choral group cannot get together. These things matter to people!