Thursday, July 27, 2023

Timeline: "An Interactive Journey Throughout American History" - Monroe County

Do you know what I find to be somewhat strange?
The fact that when I see other reenactors dressed in their period clothing,  they don't look  "different"  or  "weird"  or  "strange"  to me.  In fact,  when I see people dressed in clothing of the past,  it all looks quite natural and normal,  sort of giving an  "at home"  and  "welcoming"  feeling.  It doesn't matter what era they are dressed in.  
Even when I see a lone reenactor dressed in period garb amidst modern society,  I am immediately drawn to them;  they become my goombah  (Italian slang for close friend)  without even meeting them.
Want to know something else?
When I go through the photos taken at one of our reenactments,  it's almost like I'm not looking at a reenactment but,  rather,  just friends  (and family)  in their normal,  natural state.  Especially if they are dressed in the clothing of the periods I  "travel"  to most:  the 1770s and the 1860s.
And because I am so used to being with others who dress history,  I always have this hope that we don't take for granted what we represent;  we don't let our guard down - we keep as accurate as we can be.
One more thing to add:  
I see my reenacting friends in their period attire far more than I see them in modern clothing.  So when I see them as they  "normally are,"  now they look odd to me - not natural. 
You,  too?
Well,  here was an opportunity to see a goodly number of friends,  old and new,  dressed throughout time.  

.......................................


The advertisement

It all began last April with a simple private note on Messenger to a few of us who enjoy time-traveling:
"Hi reenactor friends!  
Along with working Greenfield Village,  I am also a library clerk at my local library in Carleton.  I had an idea today and I wanted to share it with you all to see if there would be any interest.  I would like to host a history program here with reenactors from different eras/wars throughout American history.  My original thought would be around or after Memorial Day,  but considering that is a month away I understand how that would be difficult.  Instead I would be open to any time before August!  I don’t have any specific ideas or details yet since the idea just came to me this morning,  but would anyone be interested?"
Makenzie
Of course,  almost everyone that was on the list was willing to take part,  including yours truly.  And from there,  ideas and suggestions flowed and,  well,  what you see in today's posting is the end result.


Historical recreationists~
Here are the participants of the Carleton Library timeline event.
A journey through the past~

Though visitors could roam as they pleased,  technically this is where the
starting line began.  Shannon spoke of life in the mid-1700s with the Voyageurs.

I was next in line and I spoke on daily life on the farm.
I didn't get too deep into it - I could speak for an hour easily on the subject,  as Larissa & I do during our presentations - but I gave enough information to queue their interests and to get them a-thinking.
And to answer questions.
Jackie,  to my left,  portrayed herself as Mercy Otis Warren,  who was a published poet,  political playwright,  and satirist during the age of the American Revolution—a time when women were encouraged and expected to keep silent on political matters.  Warren not only engaged with the leading figures of the day—such as John Adams,  his wife Abigail,  and his cousin Samuel Adams—but she became an outspoken commentator and historian,  as well as the leading female intellectual of the Revolution and early republic.

And to Mercy's left we had a Revolutionary War-era doctor,  who explained
the medical technology and procedures of the time.

Staying in the Revolutionary War period,  we next have the Church family, 
 portraying soldiers and civilians of the time.
The Church's are a long-time reenacting family,  now spanning to the 4th generation!

Visitors moved from the Rev War up to what some call America's 2nd War of Independence - the War of 1812 - and the reenacting group,  the Lacroix Company,  to learn about this much over-looked war.
Photo courtesy of the Monroe County Library System

Two of the lady citizens of 1812 representing life in Regency.

Our friend JJ,  portraying the 1860s period,  enjoyed demonstrating an old-time wood-working skill utilizing a draw-knife as he sits upon a shave horse.

This shave horse is similar to the old  "Coopers"  bench,  or also known as the
German schnitzelbank workbench. 

And here we have Civil War period music by the wonderful 5th Michigan band.

In this photograph you see three different centuries:
~on the left we have our lone Civil War soldier representation from the 1860s,  Nick
~in the center is our hostess with the mostess,  Makenzie,  as a homefront
girl during WWII
~and on the right you see me portraying a farmer from about 1770

WWII was well-represented as Peter demonstrates
 the Thompson  (1928a1?)  submachine gun.

Patrick presented as a member of the 101st Airborne,  502nd PIR Company B, 
and Beckie spoke of being a part of the  Army Nurse Corps.
And on that tiny radio on the grass we heard some great old Big Band swing music.

Late WWII representation.

Makenzie stands with her 1940s home front Victory Garden.

As the event drew to a close...
Makenzie was asked if she wanted to fire the Lacroix Company cannon.
Of course,  she said  "yes!"
1940s girl meets 1812-period men!

There's a beaming smile  'neath all that smoke!

Another beaming smile from our family friend,  Emily,  here with her new husband,  Josh  (and the old guy on the right is me lol).
After walking to each stop on the timeline,  Emily came up to me and exclaimed,  "I learned so much today!"
Even a tried and true historian such as Emily can learn!
Emily,  by the way,  used to reenact Civil War with us many years ago.
It was also her wedding we attended at Greenfield Village this past April.
She is a gem...and her husband is a pretty cool guy,  too!
By the way,  I love the shirt Emily is wearing:  "I like my coffee black and my tea in the harbor!"


All events need to have a  "1st one",  and this timeline is a first for the Carleton Library and the first that Makenzie has put together.  I have confidence that,  should she continue with this,  her future endeavors will continue to improve with each passing year.
I commend Makenzie on what she accomplished here.  I know what it takes to put on - to host - such an event;  it seems like you eat and breathe it for months before and for weeks after with little or no sleep the nights leading up to it.  And so much is in play here:  the weather,  the reenactors showing up,  visitors/audience coming out to make it worthwhile.
Ya done really good,  my friend!
Especially for your first endeavor of this sort!

Until next time,  see you in time.


The photos here were taken not only be me,  but by a variety of sources,  including members of the Carleton Library itself and the Lacroix Company reenacting group.

To read a bit on other time lines I participated in:
Timelines are great!
No,  I don't want to see them replace actual reenactments,  but they give one an amazing opportunity to see time through fashion.  And firepower.  And historic accessories.
And stories.

















































~     ~     ~

1 comment:

Mary, Windy Meadows Farm said...

Something I'm wondering about, as we all struggle with the summer heat, did those from earlier times take off a jacket or remove one of the many layers of clothing to keep a bit cooler as they did chores or went to town? Or would have have been seen as indecent?! Mary, Windy Meadows Farm