Friday, September 18, 2026

Summertime 2026 at Greenfield Village

Welp---here we are~~~just days away from Astrological Fall...and we've been in Meteorological Fall for two and a half weeks  (pick which  "season opener"  you prefer).
I spend an awful lot of time at Greenfield Village.  For anything even remotely colonial,  and with any kind of strong history,  it is pretty much the only game in town.
I did not wear my period clothing as often as I would've liked this past summer while visiting Greenfield Village.  It was too hot for one,  plus my friend Norm was not able to come with me as often,  so it was mostly a picture-taking adventure when I went.
I limited  "summer"  from Memorial Day Weekend to the end of August...jst before Labor Day Weekend - roughly three months.

There are no great historical texts in today's post.    Oh,  yeah,  there are some bits here and there,  but most of it is centered on photographs I snapped throughout the summer season.

Memorial Day Weekend:
A horse-drawn omnibus awaits its passengers near the Ford home.

Now,  here ya go!
The Village pulled out its surrey for summer travels!

Over Memorial Weekend,  Patty and I  "dressed up"  to visit the Village.

Anne gave us a garden tour.
Just happened to be my birthday on the day we visited in our colonial clothing.

Beyond the Daggett kitchen garden is an area where we,  as visitors,  are not supposed to go off to on our own,  but from a small distance it looks very country,  very farm,  very enticing.

At the Daggett House,  it is shown that drying plants was not strictly done in autumn,  but was a year-long chore.

Now this guy knows how to dress!

May 30
Another shot of the Daggett House.
What can I say?  It's my favorite house!
Now...just what are they doing?

Dyeing wool?  In May??
Here at Daggett in late May we do see the dyeing process going on.
At least the temps were not summer-like just yet.

I very much enjoy when the presenters take on these extra duties.
Some of the natural plant dyes used had been saved all winter...and even from some early sprouts.


Though autumn is the most favored time to dye wool  it is not the only time of years to create natural brilliant colors.

There are six fireplaces - three on the main floor and three  "above stairs" - that are attached to this one chimney.

Chuck working on the shave horse.
When Greenfield Village used to have a cooper shop,  this shave horse was one of the tools used there.

The ladies of Daggett.
Who presented at this house,  like the other houses in Greenfield Village,  changed daily.  So every Sunday you may have one group,  and every Monday it would be a different group.

Gigi and her 18th century cheese cake.

A colonial woman strolling past a colonial house.
The stone fence is from the 1620s.

Here we have Sarah over at the cottage once belonging to the grandparents of Thomas Edison...

And over at the Ford House we have more cooking being done.

Now we head into the month of June - June 11th.
Greenfield Village follows the seasons and seems to make it a point to show the various jobs and duties that come with each season.  Sadly,  and I cannot make it there to see everything:
The farming presenters working hard in the heat as I moved toward Firestone Farm.

And here we have a couple of the Firestone Farm ladies working in the kitchen garden.
The first time I had ever heard of a kitchen garden was here at Firestone Farm.  Then,  later,  I learned about the Daggett kitchen garden.

Taking a quick break from making dinner to watch the field workers.

The dark gray weaving shop from the 1840s and the brick pottery shop from the 1780s.

Sometimes you need to step away from the front and eye the back.
Here is the Plympton House,  the Farris Windmill,  and a very dark Daggett House.

Here's an interesting angle showing the Cotswold Cottage.

June 17th - ~ - ~
A farmer's work is never done - still in the Firestone kitchen garden

The Firestone Farm Bank Barn.
The barn is known as a Pennsylvania-German bank barn,  one of the most common barns built before 1880.  They are known as bank barns because one side of the barn is built into the side of
a hill, allowing wagons to be driven into the upper floor while the animals were
kept in the lower level.
Numerous livestock call this farm home,  including draft horses,  cattle,  pigs,  chickens,  and the aforementioned sheep.  Some roam about the barnyard freely,  while the larger animals are fenced in. 
But,  one can get closer to them as they walk into the barn out back.  Beware,  however:  the odors of a country farm are prominent!
As we are getting closer to the 4th of July - Independence Day - craft workers were busy creating wonderful patriotic items to sell,  including this Betsy Ross flag ornament made in the Pottery Shop.

New shingles and window repair work at Susquehanna~~

Berry picking at Daggett.
By the way,  should you,  as a visitor,  get the urge to pick a Daggett berry for your self,  please don't - this is for the workers there and they use what they have growing in the back as part of their food demonstrations.
Summertime berries for a delicious treat!

Going in a pie,  mayhaps?
Well,  now that there are berries for a dessert,  what's the main course for the noon-time dinner meal?
Can you guess what she is making?

If you guessed Pasties,  why,  you are right on!

Putting the pasties on the fry pan known back then as a  "spider."

Pasties were commonly eaten in colonial America.
Pasties are hand-held pies traditionally filled with beef or chicken,  potatoes,  onions,  and turnips.  The hearty pies provided a portable meal for farmers,  fishermen,  and – most famously – miners.  Housewives historically put almost anything in their pasties,  including fish,  eggs,  rabbit,  pork,  beef,  venison,  chicken,  vegetables,  and even fruit.  Many period recipes also suggest marinating and aging meat for several days,  as well as beating it to a pulp with a rolling pin.  This was done to further tenderize the meat,  for it is said that beef was likely much tougher then than it is today.
So which style of pasty is most historically accurate?  They all are.  It seems the common denominator between all pasties is simply two things:  a crust and a meat filling….oops,  then again,  there were fruit pasties. 
So there you go - all's fair in pasties!
There they are,  cooking on the hearth.

On June 20th - right at the cusp of Astronomical Summer  (June 21st) - was the wonderful Motor Muster event.  
This is all about cars - cars from the 1930s through the 1970s.
American Muscle!
But Greenfield Village does their car shows a bit different than the norm;  they have period scenarios for each decade.  Unfortunately I did not get pictures of each decades scenario,  but I did get some cool shots of the 1940s:
These ladies are not just reenactors,  but they are living historians,  showing women's baseball  (think:  "A League of Their Own").

A group shot of the 1940s ladies.

Let's have some music!

"Oh!  Gl;enn Miller!  I need to turn it louder!"

Meanwhile,  out in the Victory Garden...

The 1930s was well-represented at the Mattox House.

Most of us should remember this - not  "Home on the Range"  or  "The Entertainer"  but jingling bells!

I remember picnics while traveling to our vacation destination.

Tail fins and drive-ins...At The Hop~~~

Jumping up to 1976 and the Bicentennial celebration - remembering 50 years ago...

The American flag flying o'er the replicated Liberty Hall,  which is the entrance to the Henry Ford Museum.

June 28
The leaves and the grass is lush during these early summer days.
Here we are at the Giddings House.

The plants are sprouting up wonderfully at the Daggett kitchen garden.

Taken from the entrance to the bank barn.
Firestone Farm apple orchard on the left and kitchen garden center right.

Welcome to the turn of the 20th century - there's the actual building where the Wright Brothers made the first airplane.

Bricks from the 1780s that make up the exterior of the Pottery Shop.
And there's the Weaving Shop built in 1840.

With the 4th of July celebrating America's 250th days away,  here are a few Greenfield Village collectibles from the Pottery Shop and Glass Blowing Shop I purchased.
Well,  next up on our Greenfield Village journey through Summertime would be our Independence Day celebration.  However,  since I already wrote a blog post about it HERE,  I will include one photo:
Greenfield Village puts on a spectacular Independence Day event.

My wife and I often attend this event while wearing our colonial clothing.

A few days later - July 8th - the Village celebrated the first reading of the Declaration of Independence back in 1776.  A few of us attended wearing our period clothing for that.  
Then the very next day I went to the museum to see the Freedom Plane Tour.  My friend Brian joined me for that July 9th excursion,  yes,  in period clothing.
Once again,  I wrote a post about those two days HERE.
And,  here I have a couple of pictures to show - but the link above has plenty more photos and a review of those two days:
Myself,  Lynn,  and Charlotte on the evening of the Declaration Reading - July 8th.

July 9th - Brian and I visiting the Freedom Plane exhibit.

I took a two sabbatical and did not return until July 23.
Back at Firestone Farm --- looking out one of the front windows.

Firestone being a real working farm,  the ladies cook 1880s meals on the coal stove.

I began to take more  "scenic"  shots around this time.
The Ford Home with the Stover Windmill.

I see a couple of Model Ts along with a horse and omnibus.
A wonderful early 20th century transportation scene.

Firestone Farm - the south side of the bank barn.

Inside the Plympton House.
Even though I knew deep down it was for naught,  I had this little pinprick glimmer of hope that Greenfield Village would utilize this over 400 year home for the special 250th 4th of July with period-dress presenters as they once did decades ago.
But,  alas,  it was not to be.

The Village Green - I see the Martha-Mary Chapel dead center.
That's the Eagle Tavern on the left.

With Chuck out of commission for the summer,  the women had to pick up the men's chores at the Daggett House.

Now we are in late July - July 28:
Even during the heat of summer,  the glass blowing shop is one of the most popular areas of the Village.  It is a fascinating craft.

I saw the four Model Ts all lined up as if in a 1920s traffic jam,  so I quickly captured the moment.  I think this corner would make for a fine place to have a very early traffic light.

Just a bit further down Main Street... 

The Games on the Green Gang~~

In days long passed,  August was considered a harvest month.  And when you think about it,  it does make sense.  So here we are in late July,  and I see apples on the Ford tree.  Not sure which variety they are.

Even though there are no Daggett fields to be plowed,  the kitchen garden keeps the Daggett farmers pretty busy.

Morning wake up call at Firestone Farm~~
And,  yes,  this rooster certainly was crowing when I snapped his picture.

You can see the rooster with his harem.

The back of the farm house.

And just a couple days later - July 31st:
There's Gigi - longtime master presenter at the Daggett House!

A window shot at Daggett

The Edison Cottage is still decorated for Independence Day!

Looks like a fine summer's day in about 1870.

Love Lies Bleedin'  in my hand...
I was reading a book a number of years back called  "Day in a Colonial Home"  (written in 1922)  and,  amongst the other plants mentioned,  they also mentioned one called  'Love Lies Bleeding.' 
I looked it up and,  lo & behold,  it is an actual flowering plant!
These plants have been grown for ornamental purposes for a very long time,  though the leaves can be eaten and the seeds are used like grain.  Love Lies Bleeding was included in a plant survey found in Colonial Williamsburg.
Elton John's song makes much more sense now!
Always learning something new...

Now we head into a new month -- August.  August used to be considered the first month of harvest time.  Well...it actually is---think of all the cucumbers,  green beans,  tomatoes and so much more popping out of the ground in your garden!
August 8th:
What do I spy  'neath the Richart Carriage Shop?

Chopping wood is one chore that is continuous year  'round.

No story here---I just like the pensive feel of this photo.

August 13  and a bunch of pictures of Norm,  Brian,  and I,  for we went to the Village all dressed for old times sake  (lol):
See the tree we are directly in front of?
It is over 300 years old!

Norm standing in front of Cotswold Cottage.

Norm,  myself,  and Brian at the back gate of Cotswold Cottage.
Cotswold was actually originally built in England around 1620 - the end of the Renaissance era.

Brian moves up to the oldest American House inside Greenfield Village - the Plympton House.

Yes,  this house has a Paul Revere connection - click the link at the bottom of this post.

Though there are no presenters inside the Plympton House,  the set up looks as if someone from the early 1700s still lives there.

Hoeing amongst the tobacco plants at Susquehanna.
Tobacco does not grown very well here in the northern Michigan climate,  but since most of us up here don't get much of a chance to see this plant,  it's another great learning experience.

August 16
The day began with a touch of sun,  then the thicker clouds moved in...then...well,  you'll have to look through the following pictures to see~~~
Just before you come to the Ackley Covered Bridge,  there is a cobbler shop -- just a tiny little building.  Well,  on this day I grabbed an image through a window to capture the inside since it is never open to the public.

If you haven't noticed yet,  Greenfield Village focuses quite a bit on historic agriculture.
And so do I!    
If you look closely,  you can see a male and female farmer near the Firestone kitchen garden.

Sadly,  the local deer ate most of the corn they had grown.

The field crops,  however,  were doing wonderfully!

Toward the end of my visit on this day,  a sudden downpouring of rain came.  I was soaked!  Yet I still stopped to take this picture  (lol)

August 20th - Norm and I wore our Colonial clothing.
Say what you will...but fall begins with this tree!
Every year this is the first tree I see with actual fall color!

Norm taking a break.

All summer long,  the sails on the old 1633 Farris Windmill had been removed for either repair or to be remade.  But on this day,  they were ready to be placed  (or replaced,  whichever the case may be).  I watched for a few minutes as the men worked on the tedious task.

That's me there near the Loranger Gristmill.

Norm's turn for a capture near the gristmill.

Norm standing in front of his natural habitat - the church!  This one being the Martha-Mary Chapel.

I had a friend snap this image through the McGuffey window.

Since I portray a colonial-era farmer,  I very much enjoy such photos.
I did a little photo-manipulation here---if you look down the road to the end,  you will not find the Firestone Farm - which is what is normally there - but instead I put in the Daggett House...for sort of aesthetic purposes.  That's the only trickery in this picture.

August 23 - My wife came with me on this special harvest day,  though we both dressed in our modern wear rather than in period clothing.
Yes,  they were processing wheat and I was excited to witness it once again here,  for Greenfield Village shows the process as it was done on a late 19th/early 20th century farm:
I thought I'd capture Firestone Farm from a bit of a different angle,  so I stepped up to it and got yelled at because I was too close to the train.
Well,  I'm a grown man and I was not close to the train at all,  unless the sitting still locomotive should suddenly jump the track.  But I complied and left the area,  laughing at the fact that this 65 year old man got yelled at.

Firestone Farmers were threshing wheat with a late 1800s / early 1900s threshing machine.
Here is a first-hand later 19th century account of what it was like on the farm during threshing time:
"Later in the week when the threshing crew arrived,  it was bedlam.  The enormous ungainly machine clanked up the lane,  pulled into the field by a team of six mules.  The steam engine was fired up with a clatter you could hear all of the way up at the big house and seemed to shake the shingles on its roof.  Men were feeding the sheaves into its hungry maw,  while more men were filling bags with the stream of kernels it disgorged,  tying them,  loading the wagons and driving them,  heavy,  to the granary,  where still another crew was waiting to unload and stack the bulging sacks.
Harriet recruited women to help her in the kitchen.  An enormous breakfast and an equally large noontime dinner had to be produced.  I rolled up my sleeves to do my share.  The kitchen and summer kitchen throbbed with heat from the cook stoves.  Dishes clattered.  Hurrying bodies bumped into one another as we carried platters to and fro.  By evening every muscle was screaming  ‘no-no-more,’  aware the ordeal would have to begin again at dawn the following day.
And then it was over.  The threshing crew moved on to the next farm,  the extra hands paid off.  There was quiet and satisfaction of knowing we had made a good crop."
It was fascinating to watch this machine at work.

Morgan tied the threshed wheat berries into sacks to be stored for taking to the gristmill.

The hollow,  leftover stalks of the wheat plant after the grainheads/wheat berries have been removed is straw.

Sacks of grain awaiting to be taken to the gristmill to be ground into flour.

Field corn growing next to the harvested wheat.

It seems not everyone from the later 1800s was pleased with the threshing machine.  Here is another take:
Let us see how Mr. Wilder felt about the new-fangled threshing machine  (taken directly from Laura Ingalls Wilder's wonderful book,  "Farmer Boy"):  
Mr.  Wilder thought the threshing machine was  "a lazy man's way to thresh.  Haste makes waste,  but a lazy man'd rather get his work done fast than do it himself.  That machine chews up the straw till it's not fit to feed stock,  and it scatters grain around and wastes it.  All's it saves is time,  and what good is time with nothing to do?"  
Yeah,  give me the flail any time over the machine!  lol
So---Greenfield Village also showed wheat processing as it was done on an 18th century farm - the Daggett Farm - which I am certain would have made Mr.  Wilder a much happier man:
The Daggett Farm area also showed wheat processing,  and had a crowd of their own.

In lieu of the chugging,  clanging threshing machine,  at the Daggett House we have,  in the top picture,  the much quieter tools of a century earlier,  including a hand flail,  rake/hayfork,  wheat berry scoop,  and another flail,  while in the photo below....
...we have a winnowing basket.

Preparing to process wheat as was done over 250 years ago.

Showing how low to the ground a sickle should be to harvest wheat.

Using a flail.

Scooping up the wheat berries.

Separating the wheat from the chaff by way of a winnowing basket.
In the 18th century,  winnowing was a crucial agricultural step in getting flour.

After a hard morning's work,  the family settles down for the afternoon meal.

The afternoon promised more hard work for each in the family,  but this day's priority was processing the wheat.  Perhaps in the afternoon there will be another to help with this job.

The Loranger Gristmill,  all colorful for summer.
After threshing and winnowing,  next up was grinding the wheat berries into flour.
I love that this particular 1830s mill is  'native'  to southeastern lower Michigan  (Monroe).

Although I love being around 18th and 19th century America,  I also enjoy seeing the world of the 1890s and early 1900s come alive.  Remember,  Greenfield Village covers nearly 400 years of history,  from around the 1620s  (Cotswold Cottage)  through the 1960s  (Jackson House),  and everything in between.

The Burbank House,  built around 1800.
The Burbank House used to be furnished to look like a home from the year it was built.  Now it is mostly used for storage and/or special events.
On this day of wheat processing,  it was open to show what seems to be the 1920s or 1930s  (??!!)~  
Inside the Burbank House.

My main reason in going inside this house was to get a few shots showing some of the interior history here,  like this fireplace.

And then here is a dry sink.
I would absolutely love to see the Burbank House furnished as it would have been 200 years ago.  Henry Ford would be disappointed in its current state.

As I wrote earlier,  sometimes I just like the look of a scene,  so I snapped and posted it.

August 27
Just before entering the Ackley Covered Bridge,  you turn to look back and this is what you see:
the little gray cobbler shop on the left,  a touch of the orange from the Sarah Jordan Boarding House on the right,  and way in the back, at the end of the road we have the Smiths Creek Depot.

The Ackley Bridge is like a portal to the past.

And just beyond this bridge opening:
From distant left - the 1750s Daggett House,  the 1630s Farris Windmill,  and the red early 1700s Plympton House.

Larissa standing next to the wheat.

I believe a few of the Firestone farmers are walking the horses to work in another location

And that's it - from Memorial Weekend to days before Labor Day.
2026 had the longest stretch of  "unofficial summer"  between Memorial Day on May 25th to Labor Day on September 7th - 106 days.
However - I am stopping my summer at Greenfield Village post on my last August visit,  for,  to me,  fall begins September 1st - yep---I follow meteorological fall.
But I think you can see why I visit Greenfield Village so often---pretty much weekly---for it's the changing of the season---the changing of each month and the activities that go with the changes---that keep me going and keeps history fresh.
I hope and pray the powers-that-be who run the Village stay correctly focused and not go off the wayside into a different direction.
There's too much at stake.

Until next time,  see you in time.


Click HERE for links to more extensive information about many of the historic structures inside the walls of  Greenfield Village

























































































































()()()

No comments: