I've never been to the Fort Meigs Revolutionary War event before this year.
I am certainly glad I went!
Fort Meigs, named after then Governor of Ohio, Jonathan Meigs, Jr., was first built as a reaction to British attacks on American forts in the Northwest Territory during the War of 1812. It was built in what is now Perrysburg, Ohio, on a bluff overlooking the Maumee River rapids.
Here is a brief timeline highlighting key events related to Fort Meigs.
Construction — Fort Meigs was built in early 1813 to protect American interests during the War of 1812.
Sieges — The fort successfully defended against two sieges in May and July of 1813, preventing a British invasion.
Transition —Fort Meigs was torn down shortly after the second siege and was rebuilt on a smaller scale. Instead of a full fort it would stand as a supply depot till the end of the war. With this second fort built, the American army marched north towards Canada, leaving 100 Ohio militiamen behind to guard it. This supply depot stood till the end of the war, and was then abandoned by the American army. The fort, after having its property change hands several times, was eventually reconstructed in the 1970s, rebuilt again in the early 2000s, and now stands to educate about the War of 1812.
Though it is mainly about the War of 1812, it also commemorates other wars of American involvement, including the Revolutionary War.
So, for my first ever visit to this Ohio fort, I can say I had a wonderful time.
It does help that I was with a couple of amazing friends:
 |
Norm, Charlotte, and myself. This picture was taken shortly before we left the premises due to some heavy storms coming our way, as you can see behind us. |
 |
As we made our way through the modern entranceway, who did we see? Why, none other than Ben Franklin, who was binding books. |
 |
Mr. Franklin had a small vignette next to him. This great early American held various jobs throughout his life, including working as a chandler (a candle maker) and a printer who also bound books. The two above photos reflect those periods in his life. |
 |
| Finding our way around this large fort. |
 |
| Charlotte exits one of the block houses. |
 |
| Our new friend, and hostess, Jane. |
 |
| Watching colonial children play... |
What I enjoyed very much was the section before entering the military portion of the fort was this line up of living history presenters...
 |
| The set up and lay out for this event was wonderful, giving a well-rounded view of 18th century American life and history. |
 |
| This was where they had a weaver, lace maker, surveyor, surveyor/frontiersman and wife, seamstress, and even someone with children's toys. |
 |
| Frontiersman |
 |
| This may have been medicine - possibly home remedies. |
 |
| Surveyor |
"In the 18th century, a land surveyor measured and mapped tracts of land to establish legal boundaries, divide wilderness for settlement, and transfer property ownership from the crown or government to private individuals. Figures like a young George Washington famously began their careers doing this demanding frontier work."
 |
| I believe this piece of surveying equipment is called a Jacob's staff. |
 |
Both Charlotte and I spent quite a bit of time with the weaver named Naomi. Her card says "Artisans of the American Revolution" |
 |
18th century weaving information. Note: America 250. |
 |
| She mentioned to us that colonials used table runners instead of full table cloths, though I can't seem to locate such information. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I do like to have a source. |
 |
| Charlotte spent time learning lace making. |
 |
| Looking through the tavern window. |
The stone building inside the gates of Fort Meigs once served as a barracks and a command post for military operations.
For this reenactment, however, it was turned into a 1770s tavern.
 |
| Finding a place to sit. |
 |
| This was a wonderful period set up. |
 |
One of the tavern servers
|
In the 18th century, female workers who served drinks and food in taverns were most commonly referred to as drawers (
a historical term for a person (male or female) who "drew" liquor from the casks for customers), tapsters (
an employee who tapped the kegs and served drinks, a title used across centuries for both men and women performing this labor), servants, or simply...maids (
most women working in 18th-century public houses were domestic or general laborers performing multiple tasks - cooking, cleaning, and serving - as part of the household staff), rather than the more modern term "waitress."
I've also heard the term "serving wenches," though that may have been in use earlier than the Revolutionary War.
 |
Free root beer to all period dress RevWar era reenactors! Not just a small cup, but an actual mug!
|
And this was no cheap root beer, but top-notch quality Sprecher Root Beer!
 |
| My hat and mug of root beer. |
These "publick houses" (or 'ordinaries,' as they were also known) have played an important part in social, political, and even military life, though we see them taking more of a back seat in their role in our Nation's history.
 |
| A toast to the new United States of America! |
In such environments, men typically kept their hats on while drinking and socializing.
While hats stayed on in taverns, they were usually removed in private homes, churches, or in the presence of social superiors as a sign of respect.
Myself and Norm oftentimes will remove our hats, depending on the situation.
 |
| Minister Gerring/Heinrich Muhlenburg |
 |
| I love when families all come out - the realism is there! |
 |
| I love that there were natives roaming about. |
 |
| Just outside the tavern door... |
Many Native American tribes initially tried to stay neutral during the Revolutionary War, but most eventually chose sides to protect their lands, with some like the Stockbridge Indians and Oneida fighting for the Americans and others like the Mohawk and Seneca supporting the British.
 |
| I always enjoy seeing natives reenacting, giving a more complete picture of the past. |
The bake oven is a reconstructed feature, not an original one. The original was part of the fort's supply depot for General Harrison's Army during the War of 1812, and was used for baking bread and other foodstuffs for soldiers.
 |
Here is the bake oven, now used as a teaching tool. Yes, bread and other items are still baked inside just as was done over 200 years ago. |
 |
| Just outside the tavern, a woman prepares bread for baking. |
 |
| Checking the heat of the bake oven... |
 |
| Tents from Americans and Brits were scattered throughout. |
 |
| In one of the block houses. |
Fort Meigs is the largest reconstructed, wooden-walled fort in the United States.
 |
| Locking up before the battle... |
No, I didn't really lock it up, but was only checking its weight.
As we were strolling, we heard fife music coming from somewhere above...what? A tree?
 |
| As we looked around we could barely locate his location... |
 |
| Yet, there he was...and his music carried quite a ways... |
 |
Two pictures to make one. This was as we were making our way out. You can easily see just how large Fort Meigs actually is. |
So...this year of America's 250th I participated in numerous reenactments in three different states: Michigan (my home state), Indiana, and Ohio.
Not bad, eh?
I've had numerous people ask me about this Fort Meigs event, and if I liked it or... Well, I can honestly say I thought it was excellent. The only disappointment, to a small degree, is...where were you? More reenactors should have come out. That is to say, there was plenty of room for many more reenactors, with and without tents & flies, and the drive to get there wasn't bad at all - especially if you live in the Metro-Detroit area, for example. But it is worth your while to participate.
And more visitors should also come out to see history come to life.
At this point, I plan to go back next year, maybe even stay a bit longer and perhaps bring some of my own tools to demonstrate. Between the demonstration area and the tavern, plus the military and the natives, that's what made this a very good event.
Until Next time, see you in time.
Thank you to Charlotte, Norm, and the 49th Regiment of Foot for allowing me to use their photos.
For more on 18th century textiles, click
HERE
{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}
No comments:
Post a Comment