This has probably been my busiest summer doing living history I've ever have had. Since mid-April I have had only a handful of weekends free. Not that I'm complaining. I am absolutely not. It has been a real blast in the past, and a time of celebration. I plan to document each event here in Passion for the Past, and so for this week I am pairing up two events that I did this past July, with more event coverage coming in the weeks ahead.
I hope you have been enjoying my time traveling back in time so far.
.0.
Let's talk about timelines for a moment, shall we?
Timelines seem to be increasing in popularity for a variety of reasons. Some reenactors may not like them, which is quite fine, but I really like timelines more and more lately, for they can give the visitor a good overview of the passing of history and the changes that have and had occurred. In fact, timelines are actually pretty cool, for, in all honesty, and, aside from a battle, nearly everything else that can still be presented is here. All that history right before your eyes! Yeah, I'm pretty okay with timelines in general.
If you look under the title of my Passion for the Past header, you will note the general description of this blog: "A Journey Through Time With A Living Historian." I changed that years back from my original description which was "Thoughts and Social History for the Living Historian." I believe the new description fits my blog postings much better; as a living historian, I am taking a journey through time and always try to be inclusive of social history as well. So when I have a time-travel opportunity, I jump on that horse and ride - and that's exactly what I did at the timeline event in Chesterfield, Michigan.
It wasn't a fast ride - it was more of a relaxed trot along the perimeters of time.
And it wasn't an actual horse ---
No matter, for I'm so glad to have you come along on the journey with me, and we're still celebrating America's 250th - the Semiquincentennial.
 |
| Chesterfield's Time line~~~celebrating America 250! |
See the changes -----this is what a timeline looks like.
 |
| left to right --- 1940s and WWII to around 1917 and WWI to the American Civil War to Mexican-American War to the non-military look of Jackie and I as we represent 1776. |
 |
Using currency of the time, I am paying Marko for a knife. Okay, so I'm not really purchasing it. |
 |
| Micki, on the left, shows the items she may have with her as an 18th century Voyageur. |
 |
| A thorn betwixt two roses. lol |
 |
| Dale representing the fur-trading, showing his furs. |
 |
| Jackie and I representing 1776 |
 |
| Mexican-American War and the Civil War |
 |
| World War One - The Great War---showing accoutrements |
 |
WWI Salvation Army As you can see, it is a real living historical learning experience. |
 |
| Lynn as a 1940s Bobby-Soxer |
I know there are those who only care for military reenactors, but, well, I believe it's when the civilians show up that will make any event a lot more well-rounded.
But wait---there's more!
Not long after Chesterfield, I found myself in the magical Christmas town of Frankenmuth, Michigan. However, there was nothing Christmas-y at the reenactment. It was business as usual, with a sea of tents, American Patriots and British Redcoats, sutlers/vendors, and a wonderful time with wonderful weather.
 |
A sea of white canvas tents. And this was only a portion of the reenactor camps! |
My hat is off to Brent Kemmer for hosting this excellent event that takes place in mid-July - just two weeks following the 4th.
This is a tough one for me because this is the weekend where I usually reenact two different time periods and live in a third! But this year was even tougher, for I did a bit more traveling than originally intended, but I didn't want to miss Colonial Frankenmuth: the day before I went to Frankenmuth this year, I was portraying Paul Revere over near Fort Wayne, Indiana (click
HERE and scroll down a bit). Fort Wayne is about a 4 hour drive one way from where I live. The following day I then headed the hour and a half drive to Frankenmuth. So there was quite a lot of driving that weekend----
Oh---and the day before I was in Fort Wayne I was harvesting wheat on a farm about a rural hour north of my house (click
HERE)!
Lots of driving but it was all well worth it:
 |
| Brent, the host of Colonial Frankenmuth, readies his men for the upcoming battle reenactment at Colonial Frankenmuth. |
 |
| This group does French & Indian War as well as the Revolutionary War. |
There is always a large turn-out of reenactors at Colonial Frankenmuth, which is great for the visiting public, for most came to Frankenmuth to eat chicken, shop at Bronners Christmas Shop, and shop at the other unique stores, and then they also unwittingly get a history lesson to boot. I think that's what I like most about this event.
 |
| Men still marching off to war... |
 |
| Marching through the ruins of time. |
 |
| Imagine heading up to Frankenmuth for an amazing chicken dinner, then stopping at a store and seeing this. |
 |
| Fife & drum and soldiers... |
Then, to top it off, the Revolutionary War comes alive!
 |
| I do like to capture the flame shooting out from the musket barrel. |
 |
| The muskets are real, but, fortunately, those who "died" did not actually die. |
I was speaking to one of the spectators there and he told me how awesome this was. He commented on how his wife can shop all day and take her time, for he was here at the Revolutionary War reenactment enjoying watching history come alive!
 |
| Once the battle had ended, the men marched back to their camps. |
 |
Long-time reenactor Richard Reaume was there. Richard does numerous time periods, from the French and Indian War to Revolutionary War to the War of 1812 to Mexican-American War to Civil War to Spanish American War to WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. I think I got 'em all! |
 |
| Fife and drum corps fly. |
Here are a few of the vendors - not just for reenactors:
 |
| My wheat-harvesting friend, Theresa, runs the Cozy Cabin Shoppe where one can purchase all kids of homemade soaps at reasonable prices. |
 |
Susan Reid runs the Carrot Patch Farm - the sheep-to-shawl sutlery, processing, dyeing, and spinning (and oftentimes knitting) items for her shop!
|
 |
| Susan and friends. |
 |
| Then there is the Salty Lantern run by Ben Franklin (Bob Stark) and daughter, Abby, where one can buy all things wood plus teas, lanterns, and books. |
Walking amongst the tents and reenactors:
 |
| Not necessarily a sutler, but a vending of sorts, selling her wares in front of her tent. |
 |
| Military doctor, Henry Trippe, was there with a consistent group of visitors. |
Not one but two 18th century men from the medical field were there.
 |
| Doc Bloodsworth also does dentistry. |
 |
French Marines
|
 |
| Native camp. |
 |
| Voyageur camp. |
Walking amongst the tents didn't only have folks cooking over an open fire, but reenactors who showed their period talents...
 |
| ...such as spinning wool on a spinning wheel. |
 |
| There was a cooper (barrel/bucket maker) there! |
I am always looking for something from the 18th century to try and learn. I have been using a shaving horse for a few years now and have even shown my older grandkids how to use it.
 |
I am thankful I was able to spend a little time on the shaving horse that was there. In fact, I'm hoping to learn how to do some coopering. |
I had a strong feeling that 2026 would be a busy reenacting year, but I had no idea just how busy I would be! Unfortunately, I had to say "no" to numerous events because it was all becoming so overwhelming. Well...as I mentioned earlier, the weekend of Frankenmuth found me in Fort Wayne, Indiana one day, Lapeer, Michigan another day, and then in Frankenmuth---Friday, Saturday, then Sunday. Not that I'm complaining - living history is my passion, and that passion continues to grow. But I am finding it harder now that I am in my mid-60s to do so much day after day after day. But then, it gives me more to write about! It's still August as I put this together - I have plenty more events coming up, all of which you will see here.
Until next time, see you in time.
To read a more in-depth post on when my friend and I harvested wheat, click
HERETo read about my time in Fort Wayne, Indiana, click
HERE then scroll down a bit
To read about a timeline event I did earlier this year, please click
HERE
Thanks to Richard Reaume for allowing me to use a few of his photos.
~{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}~
No comments:
Post a Comment