Friday, August 28, 2026

Still Celebrating America 250 - Two Eras 90 Years Apart: Port Oneida / Eaton Rapids--Miller Farm

Sleeping Bear Dunes are now known nationwide because of two Brits names Josh and Jace who have been enjoying traveling in America,  and especially in Michigan,  and have spent a lot of time filming themselves attempting to climb the sand dunes.  With the two being in this northern portion of Michigan near the time of the Port Oneida Farm Fair,  I did have hopes that they might've shown their faces.  Alas,  it was not to be.  But,  as always,  this historic farm fair was so good,  as it always has been.


One busy summer - one busy year.
That is what this Semiquincentennial-America 250 has been for me.
Pretty much non-stop.
And the beat goes on...
Larissa and I have been presenting as an 1860s farm couple at Port Oneida historic farm fair since 2016 - making this our 10th year.  Our research of everyday life of the American colonists and Victorian era is pretty extensive.  To be honest,  we could both speak for hours on the subject,  but we try to keep it to about 45 minutes.  That way we can have time for some Q & A afterward,

This year,  being America's 250th,  is even more important.  I mean,  sure---we are definitely concentrating on America's founding - 1776 - but that doesn't mean we can't explore and present on other periods of our nation's great history.
Still celebrating America 250!
So let's only go back about 150 to 160 years,  to the mid-1800s.  To the dark time of America's Civil War.  But without speaking about that war,  we instead speak on daily life during that same period.  And hopefully bring our audience back in time with us.

Here we are:  imagine a fair just for historic farms.
And we have been a part of it!


On whose farm we are - the historic Olson Farmhouse.

Presenting historic 19th century farm life at the Port Oneida Farm Fair.
I am holding what's known as an  "Invalid Cup"  for 19th century home health care - -
It is  "a specialized ceramic or porcelain vessel designed to feed liquid or semi-soft food to bedridden,  sick,  or wounded patients who were too weak to sit up."

The reason why Larissa and I work so well together is we both know when it is our turn to  "step in"  in a very natural way - very conversational.

Pointing her finger at someone!
Or,  she was trying to make a point.

Meanwhile,  inside the farm house:
Once again we ran into Susan Odom,  who cooks on the stove inside the historic Charles Olson Farm House kitchen.
Larissa and Susan used to work together many years ago at Firestone Farm at Greenfield Village.  Larissa said that Susan  "
taught me a lot of what I know about historic cooking about 25 years ago!"

Larissa and I in the kitchen garden
Perhaps the coolest thing happened this year:
during one of our breaks from presenting,  we took time to walk around and take pictures.  I was stopped by a gentleman - a visitor - who said he saw Larissa and I present for his first time a couple years ago.  He came back last year to see us once again,  but we were not there,  for we took the year of last year  (2025).  Before he returned this year,  he made sure we would be back,  for he really wanted to see our presentation again.
He very much enjoyed it and how we had a few slight differences this year.  I told him we do change it up because there is so much to speak on,  we could go for hours,  and by changing it up a little each time allows us to show other items.

Musicians played music of long ago by way of hammered dulcimer and a flute.

Old time clothes-washing.  This is a hands-on stop where kids can see what it was like to wash clothes in their ancestor's time.

Caning chairs seems to be growing in popularity of late.

Woodworkers,  including some who used a shaving horse,  were there as well.

There were horse and cart rides as well.

Our tired feet in our 19th century shoes. 

~~~And let's go back even earlier in American History~~~

Miller Farm is  run by Eaton Rapids Area Historical Society.
They are solely a volunteer organization.

Many of the local historical societies have been jumping on the Semiquincentennial bandwagon of late.  I don't mind,  though I do with they had made such plans a year or so earlier.
No mind.
I'm just glad that so many have decided to celebrate this special birthday of our country.
Even last minute.
The colonial crew:  Farmer Ken,  Minister Norm,  Colonel Nixon,  and Ben Franklin

Ben Franklin speaks about the reasons America declared Independence
On July 4,  1776,  the Second Continental Congress voted to approve the Declaration of Independence inside the Pennsylvania State House  (now Independence Hall).  Four days later,  on July 8,  1776,  the citizens of Philadelphia were summoned to the State House Yard by the bells of the city.  At noon,  Colonel John Nixon publicly read the Declaration of Independence for the first time. 
Now,  this event occurred more than a month after the July 8 anniversary date.  But that's okay,  for this 250th celebration is not just about one or two dates in history.  So,  for this event, and for this picture,  we see Colonel John Nixon reading the Declaration of Independence.

Norm as Heinrich Muhlenberg

I decided not to speak as Paul Revere but,  instead,  spoke about daily farm life since we were on a historic farm.  Those I spoke to were very interested.

We walked around the park and spoke to folks who were wandering about,  
as you see Norm doing here,  telling folks about Heinrich Muhlenberg.

Colonel Nixon and Ben Franklin.

The back of the historic Miller Barn.

Here is Larissa & I back around 2014 when we did a historic farming presentation for the old farmers of the area.  They gave us a standing ovation!
I am almost certain the above photo was in the same barn as the Miller barn.
So there you go - two eras separated by about 90 years of time.  I know of people who dress for and participate in many more eras than the measly two I do.  To be honest,  the Revolutionary period  (1760s through the 1780s)  and the 1850s through roughly the 1880s - the Civil War period - is enough for me.  Keeping it to two allows me to concentrate on my favorite periods in American history. 
If you would have told me,  back in 1976,  that fifty years later I would be doing historical presentations to celebrate America's 250th ...whether it being interpreting as a farmer or as Paul Revere...I never would have believed it.  But here I am doing just that.  
And I am really enjoying it.
Presenting with Larissa makes all the difference to me because together we can give a more well--rounded scope on the past. 
I thank her greatly and always look forward to our presentations together - more coming this fall.
So with that,  until next time,  I'll see you in time.


To check out my posting on our 4th of July 2026 celebration,  please click HERE
To check out my posting on the anniversary of the 1st reading of the Declaration of Independence,  please click HERE
To see some of the cool collectibles that have been released celebrating America's 250th,  please click HERE

















































(.)

No comments: