Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Christmas Meme

I saw my blogger friends do this so I thought I'd join 'em!


1. Eggnog or hot chocolate? Absolutely eggnog. Preferably C.F. Burgers

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? Santa wraps the gifts, whether child or adult.

3. Colored lights on the tree/house or white? Colored lights. But, we do turn them off and light our tree candles once a year. I would like to try white lights one year.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? Sometimes. This year we have a kissing ball.

5. When do you put your Christmas decorations up? My lighted houses go up right after Hallowe'en due to how long it takes to put it all up. The rest go up shortly after Thanksgiving.

6. Favorite holiday dish? Patty's stuffing that includes raisins and nuts taken from a very old (19th century) recipe.

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child? The evenings after the tree is decorated: we'd have the tree lights on, candles lit, fireplace roaring, and Christmas music (usually Nat King Cole) playing. That set my future course for all following Christmas Seasons.

8. When did you learn the truth about Santa? At nine years old. My friend's uncle spilled the beans. I still enjoy pretending to this day, however, and even my grown kids enjoy it.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Not usually.

10. How do you decorate a tree? With a variety of items: glass bulbs, tiny wooden pieces of old-time furniture, "A Christmas Carol" and Nativity figures, birds, popcorn (fake but very realistic looking), and various other Victorian style decorations. And real candles.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it? I absolutely love it!! Especially when it shuts down the city. Yeah I'm crazy. But, only until after Valentine's Day. Then bring on the spring!

12. Can you ice skate? Oooh..so-so. Haven't done it in many years.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? A record player in 1969. Now I could play Beatles records!! And a Lionel Train set as an adult, soon after I was married. Guys never grow up.

14. What is the most important thing about the holidays to you? It's easy to say the celebration of Christ's birth (even though December 25th is more than likely not His birthday), so, that being said, my 2nd most important thing is tradition. Celebrating the Season by doing fun things as a family (Christmas at Greenfield Village, the Holly Dickens Festival, cutting down the tree, and watching Christmas movies together).

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Pumpkin pie with real whipped cream. Oh yeah!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Going to Holiday Nights at Greenfield Village (Christmas at Greenfield Village: Holiday Nights)

17. What tops your tree? An angel

18. Which do you prefer-Giving or Receiving? I'm not going to lie...I do enjoy receiving. But, it doesn't get any better than seeing your children's faces when they open up that special present that they were hoping for but not sure if they'd get.

19. Favorite Christmas song? "The Boar's Head Carol" and the original melody of "O Little Town of Bethlehem."

20. Candy Canes-Yuck or Yum? Eh - so-so. Better as a decoration than a treat.

21. Favorite Christmas show? The George C. Scott version of "A Christmas Carol"

22. Saddest Christmas song? 'Christmas In Jail' by The Youngsters from the early 1950's


I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed Christmas Season!

No comments: