Saturday, January 19, 2019

A Year in the Past: Reenacting With Ken 2018

"What is it about the past that enthralls me so? I have asked myself that question many times but I have no absolute answers."
Enthralled indeed - these were the first lines written in my very first Passion for the Past posting way back in November of 2007. And I've been trying to figure it all out ever since.
Time intertwines with time
as it keeps on slipping into
days of future passed...
I mean, you all know me as an active living historian frequently engaging in presenting life as once lived oh-so-long-ago. It seems I find myself wearing the clothing of our country's ancestors and seemingly time traveling to America's past quite often. While time travel itself might be impossible (so far), we, as historical reenactors, feel our hobby is the next best thing...if we do it right, and keep all modernisms at bay the best we can. (Not too long ago I walked away from a few period dressed reenactors who were engaged in a topic about Trump and modern politics, and they made the attempt to include me. I told them a big part of the reason I reenact was to get away from the modern day. They scoffed at me.
I don't care. They ruin what could be/should be time away from that stuff).
As far back as I can remember, I've wanted to experience life in the colonies or in the Victorian era. I wanted to be there, and experience, with all five senses, the lives of those who lived "back then."
So, as far as bringing the past to life (or traveling back in time), only by way of living history can one remotely experience a touch of the past in that manner.
I still do not know why the past enthralls me in the way that it does. I probably never will know why.
No matter, for I am who I am. And this is me.
February stands alone as the one sole month in 2018 that I was not in period clothing. I'll have to do better in 2019 because in 2017 I hit all 12 months!
Now, as you will see, I bounce back and forth between two worlds of American history: the 1770s and the 1860s. And then I find my way back to the 21st century. Not all of my time-travel opportunities are "official reenactments," by the way; I tend to visit historic Greenfield Village (on my own), participate in museum & presentation activities (usually with my presentation partner or with friends), and even shop at living history sutler shows while in period clothing.
Some 'moderns' have made comments to me about how uncomfortable period fashions must be. I fully disagree, for I find that I rather enjoy wearing the styles of the past, especially my colonial clothing, for they are pretty comfortable and, well, I feel 'right' in them. To be honest, I actually like that style even better than my modern jeans & t-shirts. In fact, a few friends of the female persuasion have mentioned more than once they wished that more men would dress in 18th century garb. I suppose if I could get away with it, I would dress that way daily. However, I don't think the world of the 21st century would understand...
As far as the style and comfort in my Victorian-era 1860s clothing...I like the top hat. Okay...my hats in general. The clothing just isn't very comfortable to me. It feels too much like a modern suit.
But if I am around a lady wearing her hoop skirts, the style fits right in the period.
Anyhow - - let's head back to a year ago when 2018 was a clean slate and see how I filled the pages with my time-travel adventures:
January: The 21st Michigan Civil War era Christmas Party
My year always begins with the 21st Michigan Civil War Reenactor's annual Christmas party, held inside the old school house in Eastpointe built in 1872. 

Period music, dancing, clothes, and (mostly) food. 
Oh yes, a good time indeed.

January: 1860s Farm Presentation for a school
Larissa and I 
doing a historic presentation for elementary aged kids in Detroit about every day life on an 1860s farm. 

March: Kalamazoo Living History Show
Most reenactors in our neck of the woods (the north-central region of the U.S.) 
look forward to the annual Kalamazoo Living History Show, and many, like us, don our period clothing to do so.
They are advertised as being "the largest indoor event in the Midwest devoted to pre-1890 antique firearms, period clothing and crafts, re-enactment and living history supplies."
March: Kalamazoo Living History Show
Yep, that's why some folks travel from as far away as Wisconsin to attend, such as Jenna Theisson & her husband, Jon. We were pretty excited to finally meet each other - we've been Facebook friends for years and now we were friends in person!

March: Night at the Museum
I love participating in the Plymouth Historical Museum's "Night at the Museum," which is based on the movie of the same name. A few of us reenactors take part and present ourselves as any number of famous people from the past. As the kids walk up to us, we come alive and begin speaking about our lives and why we were famous or important in history. I, of course, always portray Paul Revere.
I love doing this.

April: Benefit for the Plymouth Fife & Drum Corps
Again I am in Plymouth, but this time to help out the Plymouth Fife & Drum Corp, with Dr. Benjamin Franklin and I (again, as Mr. Revere) spending time to mingle with the dinner guests.

April: Benefit for the Plymouth Fife & Drum Corps
I feel like I am a-waiting a visit from Thomas Jefferson, being in such fancy surroundings.

April: Abraham Lincoln Round Table
Larissa and I did our 2nd farming presentation of the year, this time in (where else?) Plymouth for the Abraham Lincoln Round Table.

Every year I celebrate Patriot's Day by dressing period and heading out to Greenfield Village. This year was no different (and since I wrote an entire post about it HERE, I won't go into it again...), but I must tell you of my pre-adventure...
So on the morning of Saturday, April 21, as I drove to Greenfield Village while wearing my colonial clothing, the temperature gauge on my van went deep into the red, meaning my motor was about to overheat. I was on I-94 near the I-75 exit (exit 216) right in the heart of Downtown Detroit. Traffic was creeping along at a snail's pace, for there was an accident in the left lane, and the right lane was closed for construction, leaving only the center lane to accommodate thousands of autos in this major metropolis. Luckily, I was able to drive my van over to the side - the people let me through from the center lane. I got out and opened the hood - it seemed to me that my thermostat may need replacing.


Anyhow, seeing that traffic on 94 was at a crawl, and so many saw me dressed as, shall we say, Paul Revere, many honked and waved, and a truck driver yelled out, "Is everything alright?"
There I am, near the tow
truck. And there's my van.
The tow-truck driver took
the picture after we dropped
off the van.
Then the tow truck driver
wanted a picture with me,
so I put my tricorn hat on
him, and, as you can see,
he loved it!
I yelled back, "My horses got loose and took off from my carriage and now I'm stuck!"
He really laughed pretty hard, gave a thumbs up, waved, and crept along on his way.
When the tow-truck driver saw me, he just smiled and said, "I love my job!" and gave me this big ol' hug and then said, "You made my day!"
After getting my van to the repair shop near where I live, the tow truck driver took a picture of me, and then he had us take a selfie together...with him wearing my tricorn hat.
He commented about how he couldn't wait to show the other drivers at the garage.

And, lucky for me, I was able to get a copy of the two pictures he took.
The moral of my story? When lemons are sent your way, lemonade isn't far away.
So much for my trip to Greenfield Village on that Saturday, but at least I got to have a little fun, in spite of the situation.
But, fear not!
For I was able to celebrate Patriot's Day the very next day, Sunday April 22.

April 22: the next day at ~Greenfield Village~
 Colonial
I made it to the Village by way of my wife's carriage. 

The Plympton House in Greenfield Village played a small role in the Battle of Concord on April 19, 1775 (click HERE to learn about it), and it was a fine home to stand inside for my annual Patriot's Day sojourn. I really enjoy visiting such a place, but especially on Patriot's Day, a day only celebrated in a few states. Unfortunately, Michigan is not one of them. But I'm trying to change that.  

April 22: Greenfield Village - Colonial
Patriot's Day is not an actual event inside the Village; me and a couple of friends just kind of dress up and visit on our own accord.

No, I was not "working" in this photo. It is a posed shot originally to help me 
with my posting about springtime in the past.
Looks pretty authentic, methinks.

May: Civil War - Macomb County Celebration
We did a 200th anniversary of the county in which I reside - Macomb - 
by putting on a presentation of Civil War soldiers and civilians at 
the Eastpointe (Erin-Halfway) School House, built in 1872.

May: Night at the Museum #2
Here I am as Paul Revere, once again speaking to kids at the 

Plymouth Museum's "Night at the Museum" birthday party.
Plymouth loves history!

May: Civil War Remembrance at Greenfield Village
The linen suit brigade!

And probably the only 1860s clothing I enjoy wearing.
Memorial Day Weekend is always a fantastic time, for we spend three days at Greenfield Village's Civil War Remembrance weekend. Hundreds upon hundreds of 1860s reenactors convene and camp throughout the historic buildings.

May: Civil War Remembrance at Greenfield Village
My son does military, and does it well, and I am a civilian.
When it comes to reenacting, he is definitely a "mini-me," for he enjoys traveling to the past every bit as much as I do.

May: Civil War Remembrance at Greenfield Village
Myself and a few other 21st Michigan civilian members enjoyed a morning walk posing for pictures and generally glad to be where we were on such a beautiful (but very hot) day.

June: Civil War at Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit
In contrast to the heat of Memorial Weekend two weeks earlier, we had a 
cold, rainy, windy day for this event, but that didn't stop us from still enjoying ourselves, for it rained in the 1860s, too.

June: Civil War at Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit
I am always honored to reenact with the finest President Lincoln since 1865!
This man is Lincoln in every sense of the word. I am basing my interpretation of Paul Revere on Mr. Priebe's style, for I believe if one is going to become a person from the past, then he or she is to put his best foot forward to do so.

June: Colonial/RevWar at Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit
Same spot, same month, different weekend, different time period,
same crappy weather.

But we did have General Washington join us.
Wow---think of it...within a two-week period I was able to spend time with two different Presidents!

June: Colonial/RevWar at Historic Fort Wayne in Detroit
I thought this could be an interesting photo, so I set it up for Heather. 

Yep---it turned out exactly like I had hoped! 

4th of July - Greenfield Village - Colonial/RevWar
Wearing colonial clothing on the 4th of July in Greenfield Village: it all makes sense.
We are such proud Patriots!
Again, this is not a reenactment event. I have spent my 4th of July's at Greenfield Village in period dress for well over a decade.
Like I said, it all just makes sense.

4th of July: Greenfield Village - Colonial/RevWar
We are wearing clothing from the 1760s/1770s while inside a house that was standing during the time of the writing and printing of the Declaration of Independence...on the 4th of July~

In Michigan, it can hardly get better than that!
After spending a few hours in the morning at Greenfield Village, we moved onto Mill Race Village for another Independence Day celebration:
July 4th: Mill Race Village - Colonial/RevWar
I am standing along side of Benjamin Franklin and General George Washington as the Declaration is being read on Independence day!

Gives me chills.

July 4: Mill Race Village - Colonial/RevWar
Here we have two Kens on the replicated Concord Bridge fending off the Regulars.
No, this didn't actually happen on the 4th of July 
(it was on April 19th, remember?), but the visitors loved it.

July 4th: Mill Race Village - Colonial/RevWar
All but four people in this picture are members of my Citizens of the American Colonies living history group.
I am proud of my members, for we have set our standards high - and I believe it shows - and we are continuously working to climb even higher.

We are ever learning.

July: Charlton Park - Civil War
We are back to the 1860s here as we recreate a southern-leaning Maryland family scenario during the Civil War.

Yes, we get to reenact in a period house!

July - Charlton Park - Civil War
This is my reenacting family. At a couple of events during the year we reenact as husband, wife, and daughter to play out scenarios and to help make the past come alive more realistically for both visitors and living historians.

Being the farmers that we are, I believe this is an appropriate background.

July: Frankenmuth - Colonial/RevWar
This is a unique setting for our event in that it takes place in one of Michigan's top tourist attractions, Frankenmuth, where it's Christmas all year long, chicken is served morning, noon, and night, and Greta VanFleet, is the current hard rock music group, and they performed on Saturday Night Live!
At 5'7" I am not very tall compared to these guys, am I?

July: Frankenmuth - Colonial/RevWar
My daughter-in-law and grandkids had no idea I was in Frankenmuth participating in a reenactment, and were quite surprised!
My granddaughter just isn't sure what to make of her papa!

July: Frankenmuth - Colonial/RevWar
My daughter also came with my daughter-in-law. She does not reenact nearly as much as she used to, which I miss, but she did come and visit me, which made me very happy.

July: Fort Wayne, Indiana - Colonial/RevWar
This replicated 1815 fort is a wonderful place to have a RevWar/colonial reenactment, for its style definitely hearkens back to the 18th century, as you can see by this picture.

July: Fort Wayne, Indiana - Colonial/RevWar
I had the honor of reading the Declaration of Independence to the citizens below. However, I was stopped before long by the King's men and abused much; but the military captain told me not to be afraid, no one should hurt me. I told him they would miss their aim. He said they should not, I told him I knew better, and then I was roughly tossed out of the fort.
Yeah, we do enjoy ourselves.

August: Civil War at Port Sanilac
The reenactors who took place in our historic fashion show, where fashion is told through the everyday lives of everyday people.

August: 1860s Farming at Port Oneida
Larissa and I did yet another everyday life farming presentation at the Port Oneida Agricultural Fair, located in the north-western portion of Michigan's lower penninsula.
This was our third year taking part, and we enjoy it each and every time.
That's Heidi, upset that we began eating her cookies.

August: Colonial Kensington
In this picture you see members of Citizens of the American Colonies.
This event, held at a state park, is a wonderful setting and, lucky for us, the weather was mostly pretty nice.

August: Colonial Kensington
And for the first time, I brought my tent to this event! Of course, I let the honorable Dr. Benjamin Franklin share in our presentations. 

August: Colonial Kensington
So...Ken got the itch. Seeing how I looked in this photo with a borrowed musket, I actually went and purchased a musket of my own. "twill be seen in 2019.

August: Lac Ste. Claire Voyageurs - 18th Century
My wife, Patty, broke her leg in May, so most of her reenacting activities were halted for the season. Except this one at the Lac Ste. Claire Voyageurs encampment. I was so happy she put on her colonial clothing and joined me!

August: Lac Ste. Claire Voyageurs - 18th Century
Larissa and I portray an 18th century farm couple, and we do our farm life presentation, modified for the mid-to-late 1700s, at this event. 

August: Lac Ste. Claire Voyageurs - 18th Century
It was a mite breezy off of Lake St. Clair.
Working with the Voyageurs is one of my highlights.

So glad Larissa took this picture.

September: Civil War at Greenmead
My son, Miles, and I. When he knows his friends will
be at an event, he will most surely be there as well.

October: Colonial Harvest at Greenfield Village
Here I am visiting with Rebecca at my very favorite (and my most photographed) house inside the Village, the Daggett Break Back house that was originally built in Connecticut around 1750.

October: Colonial Harvest at Greenfield Village
As one who portrays a farmer, I enjoy becoming part of an agricultural scene where nothing of today can be seen.

October: Colonial Harvest at Greenfield Village
My lovely wife (and photographer) joined me, and we had such a splendid and relaxing time together.
It felt like fall.

October: Muster at the Mill - RevWar/Colonial
Time to queue up!
This was a fun picture taken by Beth or Kevin from B&K Photography.

October: Muster at the Mill - RevWar/Colonial
Charlotte, a member of my Citizens of the American Colonies group, came to the Muster at the Mill reenactment prepared to clean the shoes of all the gents who needed cleaning. And just doing something as simple as this drew a crowd.
As I have said many times before, anybody can do period things in modern clothes and few will pay attention, but put that same person in period clothing and all of a sudden it becomes fascinating...and historical.

October: 1860s Harvest at Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne
It's October in Michigan; just what would people on 
the home front be doing this time of year if it was the 1860s?
Why...it's harvest time - - the busiest time!

And every year the 21st Michigan civilians bands together to put on our own historic harvest presentation. 

November: An 18th Century Autumn at Greenfield Village
It is now early November - there is a nip in the air - enough where my son and I, and his girlfriend, can wear our cloaks as we traipse about the Village, enjoying our time amongst all of the history.

November: An 18th Century Autumn at Greenfield Village
It almost looks like a backdrop behind us, but nope---it's the real deal. So beautiful.
The stone fence behind us was built around 1620.
Two weeks later found me back at Greenfield Village, celebrating Black Friday the only way I feel is right - by staying away from the stores and diving into the past:
November: A Colonial Black Friday at Greenfield Village 
Rebecca and I always seem to have wonderfully historical conversations, and we exchange ideas and share knowledge on many topics of the past. She is a wealth of information, especially on the colonial period.

November: A Colonial Black Friday at Greenfield Village 
And then there's Roy, who is also another with extensive knowledge of the 18th century. And there are others...they just are not in this particular collection of photos.

December: An 1860s Christmas at the Fort
Creating a historic family to recreate a Christmas
celebration of the past. Only we aren't reenacting;
we truly are celebrating Christmas. It just so
happens that we are in a historic setting while in
period clothing, doing what folks would have
done over 150 years ago.
There's no pretending.
Except for us being a *real* family - -
that's the only pretend part.
But everything else is real.

December: An 1860s Christmas at the Fort
And we even ate our dinner, which was served by our servant (who actually did serve us) by oil lamp light in the dining room of the old house.
It's an experience like no other, I can tell you that for certain.

Immersion like little else.

Back to our historic presentations...have you been keeping track?
This is something we so enjoy!
December: Colonial Farm School Presentation
Not too long before Christmas and Larissa & I are,
once again, teaching school kids about life in the past.
Oh, if I could only make a living doing this!

So---the next picture is not a reenactment at all, but I am in my 1860s clothing:
Throughout December: Simply Dickens
As you may know, I head up a period vocal group called Simply Dickens, and we perform throughout the Christmas season, singing old world carols, most of which are not well-known today.
Yes, we dress "Victorian" and play all over the metro-Detroit area.

December: Citizens of the American
Colonies Christmas party 

I have hosted a Civil War Christmas party for the 21st Michigan for around 15 years, but this was my first colonial Christmas gathering. It was mainly for the members of my living history group of the same name

December: "Citizens of the American Colonies" Christmas party 
An afternoon dining on cuisine of the 18th century with fine friends and resplendent reenactors celebrating the Christmastide.
This was a small and quiet time - just to give it a try.

December: "Citizens of the American Colonies" Christmas party 
Though my gathering was mainly for the members of my living history group, I welcomed members of the 1st Pennsylvania, for their civilian members are welcome to be a part of our group since they have no civilian contingent.
I am already planning the party I will host next year - - - 

And that, my friends, is a year's worth of time-traveling with Ken. Even without February being in the mix, I still found myself wearing the clothing of the past seemingly almost as much as I wear my modern clothing. To be honest (and I've said this before), I enjoy historical wear, and if I had my way I would be in my "small clothes" (the old elegance of knee-breeches, ruffled shirts, long stockings, cocked hats, and buckled shoes) almost daily, for I find they are not only very comfortable to wear (or maybe I'm just comfortable wearing them), but look pretty cool as well.
Either way....
But, alas, I would probably be put into a home for the bewildered, and then what would my poor wife do? Sit and be lonely for her dear husband, I suppose.
And we don't want that!
So I must settle waiting for the opportunities as each arise.
And I am good with that!

Until next time, see you in time.






















~   ~   ~

2 comments:

David Veale said...

Just found and have been enjoying your blog very much!

Growing up on the west coast, I never had much exposure to living history. Moved to Michigan a decade ago to start farming (land is *much* less expensive here, and the climate is better for farming) as closely as I could get to my great-grandparent's farm. Much of my motivation has been environmental; we farm with draft horses, put up loose hay, ran a small dairy, raise sheep, essentially figuring out how things were done before the age of tractors and diesel.

A friend of mine, upon hearing of my activities, said "Sounds like you have a neat museum going!", which struck me as odd at first, because that was never my goal, but is definitely what our farm has become. We have some Amish friends who wanted to see us put up hay, because we use the technique their grandfather used.

Another friend here in Michigan clued me in to living history, which I've become increasingly interested in. I'd long been fascinated with history without consciously realizing or embracing the idea; tanning my own hides and learning to make things with them, learning to blacksmith, timberframe, and just about everything else as it was done before the intensive industrialization that now rules modern society.

Anyway -- thanks for writing your blog -- maybe I'll see you at the show in Kalamazoo!

Historical Ken said...

I certainly appreciate your comment.
I would love for you to come out sometime to see my farming presentation.