Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Living History Photo Challenge for the Month of June 2020

I feel reenacting is more than just wearing period clothing:
A genealogist searches for their ancestor
A historian wants to know how their ancestor lived
A reenactor wants to  be their ancestor

But to accomplish this takes more than clothing alone.
You see,  to have that time travel experience,  we need to be----

Invested in the Environment of the Time
Invested in the Environment of the Time
Invested in the Environment of the Time
Invest:  to use,  give,  or devote  (time,  talent,  etc.),  as for a purpose or to achieve something.
Environment:  conditions & influences - social & cultural forces that shape the life of a person or a population.
Time:  a particular period considered as distinct from other periods. 

My wife tends to be a bit
more fashionable than I.
To be a part of living history is a privilege that I cherish;  I would like to think that most of us in the reenacting community are making a grand attempt to do honor to those of the past in all of its many forms.  I say  "most of us"  because there are those who are in the hobby strictly to wear  "funny clothes"  or to hang with their friends and camp without any attempt at recreating or teaching history.  However,  I would say the greater majority of us are continuously learning - researching - so we can do our best to bring the world of the past to life as accurately as our knowledge will allow.
And that can be a very difficult thing to do.
But we're trying.
Because history is in our soul...

So...guess what?
Although nearly every single reenactment for this summer in our area of Michigan has been cancelled,  a great many of us,  during this  'pandemic,'  are still researching,  learning,  and working to apply this knowledge for any events which may yet occur,  perhaps in the fall.
But as I wrote on my Facebook page:
As we living historians who reenact the past are cut off from our hobby,  a few of us are keeping up the passion by posting daily reenactment images of ourselves and/or others with a bit of an explanation:  (it's here where I wrote my explanations,  which can be seen beneath each photo in today's post)
Now I ask my other friends in the hobby to do the same on their own page to brighten up the news feed and get away from the doom & gloom,  which really seems to be festering,  for at least a short time.
And if you do,  please include your picture in my comments as well.
And away we go----------
June 1
During a Revolutionary War reenactment at Old Fort Wayne,  
Indiana,  I was told there were two youngsters who were quite 
fond of Paul Revere,  and since I was portraying the man,  they 
very much wanted to meet  "me,"  for,  in their minds,  I was this 
midnight rider from April 18,  1775.
I asked them what did they know of my story,  of which they 
responded more correctly than most adults  (who almost always 
get it wrong,  I must say).  It was easy for me to see they did their 
research.  Real research that went far beyond a mostly wrong 
poem and Facebook memes.  I then filled in the rest of my story 
to give them a more accurate and complete portrayal of my most 
famous of rides.  They really seemed to enjoy hearing that from 
me and were excited to meet the man who was a part of the 
beginnings of the Revolutionary War.  I later learned Paul Revere 
was their hero.  This meant so much to me,  and it was an honor 
for me to meet them,  for children who love history and are 
interested in the past are the ones we must water like a plant so 
that the interest will continue to grow and flourish.
This was a true highlight of my entire living history  "career,"  
and I am so glad their father took this picture.

The governor of Michigan opened up most of our state on the afternoon of June 1st,  so for June 2nd I changed it up a bit:
It's June!  A new month worth of pictures!
Here's to hoping and praying new memories of old times can be made - - -
And soon!
Reenactor photo challenge for the  'finally getting better'  month of June:  Day 66 until our 1st official reenactment,  which will hopefully not be too long into future past.
(and here is where my description is written,  now in the comments with each photo)
Now I ask my other friends in the hobby to do the same on their own page to brighten up the news feed and get away from the doom & gloom,  which really seems to be festering,  for at least a short time.
And if you do,  please include your picture in my comments as well.
June 2
This is not a reenactment per se,  but there are reenactors 
involved.  Myself,  my son Tommy  (a former reenactor),  and 
Rebecca Goodenow,  are the reenactors,  while Diana and Tom C - who are dressed impeccable as well,  by the way  (even though they 
do not reenact) - are all part of the period vocal group Simply Dickens.  
And it was during our Plymouth Historical 
Museum performance that we were privileged to have 1860s 
Union Santa Claus  (reenactor Dave Tennies)  join us in helping 
to make Christmas past come to life for the guests.  You see,  
Simply Dickens performs the carols from days of old - songs that 
radio stations such as WNIC will not play - so having 1860s 
Union Santa  (for he showed his alliance with the north during the 
Civil War)  was an extra added attraction.
Here we are telling Santa what we wanted for Christmas.
(Boy,  I sure hope I get that new flax break I've been needing!)

June 3
This was one special day,  for a few of us went to the Daggett 
House inside Greenfield Village to see the fine folk who work 
there and,  since very few visitors were there yet  (we went 
directly to this 18th century home upon opening and people 
hadn't made their way to the back of the Village just yet),  we had 
a good opportunity for a short visit as the ladies of Daggett 
prepared for their upcoming day.
Samuel Daggett,  who built this home around 1750 for his new 
bride,  Anna Bushnell,  was quite the busy man,  for not only was 
he a housewright,  but a farmer as well.  And even,  to some 
degree,  a dentist!
Now let's take this history just a bit further...just imagine...the 
Daggetts,  who lived in this house,  were once living human 
beings and not just characters in a book.  They had feelings the 
same as we do:  they felt happiness,  sadness,  anger,  pain,  
anxiety,  concern,  and contentment.  They celebrated the coming 
of spring and of the harvest time.  They enjoyed church picnics 
and weddings,  and certainly mourned when loved ones,  whether 
friends or family,  had passed away.  They spoke of their crops,  
the weather,  told stories,  and studied the Bible.  One can only 
imagine the discussions and probably even debates they had of 
the news of the day;  how wonderful it would be to be able to 
hear conversations and opinions about the Stamp Act,  
Paul Revere's famous ride  (for it actually did make the 
papers/broadsides of the time),  of the Revolutionary War itself,  
their thoughts on the Declaration of Independence,  the forming 
of the new nation with its own Constitution,  and hearing of 
George Washington becoming our first president as it was happening!
I mean,  if the Daggett house walls had ears,  they most certainly 
would have heard at least some talk about these great events.
Think about it - we,  as living historians,  certainly live interesting 
lives,  don't we?  We can experience times past in ways most 
folks can't even imagine.  It's almost like we've jumped into the 
pages of our history books.
Now,  we,  too,  live in historical times...imagine the walls in our own homes hearing our talk of coronavirus,  the protests,  the economy,  and of the riots occurring across the nation.  I am certain that schoolkids centuries in the future will be reading about this year of 2020 and wonder just how did we all survive.
See the similarities?
Yep---I got all this from this one picture.


June 4
What a fun day we had on July 4,  2012 when a few of us 
ventured to Greenfield Village while in our 1860s clothing.  We 
basically spent most of our time in Victorian America,  watching 
farmers work in the fields,  the women of Firestone cook the 
noontime meal,  we rode the train,  ate an early lunch at the Eagle 
Tavern,  some rode the carousel, and then we had a picnic  'neath 
the shadow of a weeping willow tree right near the 1832 Ackley 
Covered Bridge.
We didn't realize it at the time,  but the temperature that 4th of 
July day in 2012 reached 101 degrees!  But,  like our ancestors of 
the 1860s,  we persevered.  And there was very little whining.
It was a glorious 4th.


June 5
Paul Revere,  the man I often portray,  was a silversmith,  and a 
fine one at that.  Now I've mentioned before that as a living 
historian I,  at times,  get to try some very cool period things in 
historic settings,  such as you see here.  The kind worker in the 
shop graciously allowed me to try my hand at the difficult but 
necessary 18th century occupation of tinsmithing.  Not 
silversmithing,  as Paul Revere did,  but a fairly common job of 
the time that had a few similarities.
Tin was probably the most common of elements in the 18th and 
19th century home.  It was easy to use and cheap to purchase.  
These workers probably learned their trade through a seven-year 
apprenticeship starting at age fifteen.  During their training,  they 
mastered the craft’s basic skills:  cutting,  shaping and 
assembling,  and its tools,  including mallets,  hammers,  vises,  
files,  pliers,  punches,  specialized anvils,  and creating forms.
For me here it was only for a scant few minutes,  
but it piqued an interest.

On the 6th of June I slightly modified my introduction:
Reenactor photo challenge for the  'hopefully getting better'  month of June:  Day 70 until our 1st official reenactment,  which I'm beginning to doubt may even happen this summer at all.
June 6
There is a core group of us Civil War civilian living historians 
who try to do a full day of immersion,  where we remain in 1st 
person and,  utilizing our researched knowledge of the time,  will 
make the attempt to fully  "be there"  in the 1860s.  We do this 
annually in the historic Sixberry House at Charlton Park where I 
have been able to procure a house built in 1858 and call it my 
own...at least for one day a year.
The very first time a few of us actually did a true full immersion 
was back in July of 2013 and,  believe it or not,  my actual wife 
portrayed my wife!  This was the time that the Union Army 
requisitioned our house - bursting in without my approval.  They 
pushed their way in,  ate our food - literally,  they did! - and generally 
caused chaos to an otherwise calm summer day  "in Maryland." 
Little did the rest of our house participants know that Patty and I,  
along with the military,  somewhat planned everything out - we 
knew the basic idea of the day,  but that was it,  and we brought 
extra bread and pies for the men to  "steal"  from us,  so it made 
for a fairly realistic portrayal.
All who participated are in the picture you see here  
(including the historic house itself!).
Soon after,  Patty had informed me she absolutely does NOT 
enjoy 1st person/immersion,  so for future Charlton Park events,  
Larissa has joined on as my reenacting wife,  and a few others 
have also taken on varying roles in our family.
Unfortunately,  this mid-July event,  like most other events,  
was cancelled for this year  (just as everything is opening up in full here).
*sigh*
I also did a slight modification for my ending:
Now I ask my other friends in the hobby to do the same on their own page to brighten up the news feed and get away from all of the doom & gloom & riots  (which really seems to be festering),  for at least a short time.
To read the full story of what happened at this event,  please click HERE


June 7
So for today's picture we'll go back to the summer of 2016  (or is 
it 1776?)  during our very special vacation/visit to Colonial 
Williamsburg.  While there I dressed in my period clothing the 
entire four and a half days.  Besides blending into the 18th 
century setting,  dressing in period clothing also allows for some 
photographic opportunities beyond the norm,  as you may see in 
this picture of me at the table of George Wythe.
Who is George Wythe,  you ask?
Why,  not only was he a mentor for Thomas Jefferson,  but also a 
signer of the Declaration of Independence – a document that,  
according to the Colonial Williamsburg guidebook,  “owed its 
genesis to ideas that circulated through the rooms in this house.”
John Adams wrote in a letter to Wythe in 1776:  "You and I,  my
dear Friend,  have been sent into life at a time when the greatest
law-givers of antiquity would have wished to have lived."
Yes.


June 8:  a two-fer
The Susquehanna House

Every year while at Greenfield Village's Civil War Remembrance 
event,  on one of the mornings before the opening whistle allow 
the public through the gates,  a few of us will take a walk through 
the streets and find wonderful spots to take posed pictures.  It's a 
fine time to do so,  with only reenactors around.
Here are two of the shots taken a couple years ago on one of our 
morning jaunts:  one is of the ladies near the Ackley Covered 
Bridge,  built in 1832,  and the other was taken on the porch of the 
Susquehanna House,  built in 1830s Maryland and is now 
presented inside the Village as about 1860.  Both structures are 
pert-near-perfect for the era we are representing during 
this reenactment.
There is no great story here.  It's just a peep through time as we 
enjoy the cool of a morning in late May,  1862.
This annual walk we take is one of the highlights of that 
weekend for me.
The ladies near the Ackley Covered Bridge

I recollect a nasty late December storm with a wintery rain/snow/wind mix occurring while I was at Greenfield Village a few years ago during Holiday Nights.  It was a damp biting-cold mess,  that's for sure.
On such a night,  very few visitors bothered to even show.
June 9
But I was there,  dressed in my 1770s period clothing,  and,  even 
though I covered myself with my thick woolen cloak,  I was soon 
soaked,  from my leather buckled shoes up to my tricorn  
(cocked)  hat.  With each step along the slushy Village streets,  
my toes soon went from cold to numb,  and,  thus,  I became 
much colder and was just covered in the large,  heavy wet snow 
that continued to fall.
It wasn’t long before I had enough - it was time to leave.
On the way out I made one more stop,  and it was to the 1789 
McGuffey log cabin,  for I saw smoke billowing from the 
chimney.  I opened the wooden door and peaked in to see  (and 
feel)  a warm fire blazing in the hearth with the solitary presenter 
sitting near the fireplace.  The warming glow from the candles 
and hearth were inviting.  The presenter could tell I was pretty 
miserable.  Seeing the wet mess I had become, she beckoned me 
in to sit on the bench near the fire and to dry off.  So there I sat,  
feeling very similar to what our ancestors must have felt in the 
same situation.  The heat emanating from the fireplace felt so 
good,  especially as I could see and hear the wind-swept wet 
pellets beating - tap! tap! tap! tap! tap! - against the outside logs 
and lone window.  I could even hear the sizzling that each drop 
made as it came through the chimney and landed in the fire.
I sat on the bench...and got warm...and,  as the presenter and I had 
a fine conversation  (centering on history,  of course),  I actually 
somewhat dried off.
It was one of the most magical living history moments I had,  and 
it happened without trying.  The immersed feeling,  with no 
modernisms about,  was as if I were in the past of over 230 years ago...
At one point,  a visitor happened in and graciously took a few 
pictures,  one of which you see here,  taken that very night while I 
was hold up,  drying off,  and warming inside the small cabin;  
it could have been 1789…
When this was posted on Facebook,  I received some wonderful comments I'd like to share here:
From Ann K:  well written description of that day.  I enjoyed reading it.  Thanks.
Mark I:  Great story Ken!  And a real authentic experience as well.  It really would serve people well to know what it was really like back then...
Steve F:  Yep,  that was authentic immersion.
Ellen R:  Those rare,  unexpected moments of immersion😄👍Like little jewels
Heather T:  I love this one!


June 10
If I had to choose one picture of my wife and I that I really like 
above most others,  this just might be it.  It is definitely in the top 
two,  that's for certain.  It was taken in the public sitting room of 
the 1831 Eagle Tavern located at Greenfield Village.  I had just 
tried my hand  (rather successfully,  I might add)  at plowing 
behind a team of horses over at the Firestone Farm  (just look at 
my shoes!),  and now it was time for our dinner - dinner being the 
noon-time meal  (in case you were wondering).  In general,  
during the mid-19th century,  breakfast was taken at 7:00,  when 
the members of the family,  completely dressed,  met around the 
dinner table;  dinner was usually eaten at noon;  and supper was 
at 5 or 6 o'clock  (main source used is  'Everyday Life in the 
United States before the Civil War 1830-1860'  
by Robert Lacour-Gayet).
So here we are in the sitting room of the Eagle Tavern,  where 
travelers could wait for the stage or for the announcement that a 
meal was ready.  Locals could also catch up on the latest news by 
talking to the travelers,  or even read the newspapers provided by 
the tavern-keeper or left behind by a traveler.
To have a wife who enjoys reenacting----yeah....I'm blessed.


June 11
Back to Colonial Williamsburg we go,  and it is an early June 
morning as I make my way to this amazing Revolutionary City to 
spend another day in 1775,  speaking with my new presenter 
friends and meeting some of the famous people who helped to 
form our Nation.
Patty and I and our two youngest were in this immersive place for 
four and a half days,  four of which I spent wearing my period 
attire.  I don't believe I've ever gone that long without wearing 
modern clothing,  so it was kind of cool.
And while I walked those city streets I very rarely saw anything 
modern to  "bring me back to the future."
Anyone that knows me knows I am a patriotic person and,  even 
though our past has not always been good,  I do revere our 
Nation's history and the environment in which our ancestors lived 
and survived,  and I am constantly in a state of deep research to 
get the whole story of our past,  rather than just the Facebook 
meme version that too many tend to post.  I am truly in awe of 
our Founding Fathers & Mothers & their generation,  
and of the pioneering citizens that came after.


June 12
Here I am at one of my earlier ventures into living history,  
portraying a father during the Civil War writing a letter to his son 
off fighting.  This was during the first  (or maybe it was the 
second)  Christmas at the Fort event at Historic Fort Wayne in 
Detroit.  It certainly was my first time participating at this event.  
wasn't quite sure what to do here,  for being relatively new to 
this type of reenacting,  I could only watch and learn,  which I 
did,  for there were a couple of presenters there who were  
"expert"  at 1st person,  so I learned from the best.
It was the following year where we began to form our reenacting 
family,  and our little immersion group grew and flourished and is 
still going strong to this day.


As you probably know,  a number of years ago,  my friend Larissa and I formed a partnership called Our Own Snug Fireside where we do historic presentations wherever we are asked;  we've presented for museums,  school groups of all ages,  historical societies,  reenactments,  fairs,  libraries,  Sons of the American Revolution meetings,  and just about anywhere else we are asked.  Our presentations include The Patriots,  in which we  (with our friend Bob Stark)  tell the stories of Benjamin Franklin,  Sybil Ludington,  and Paul Revere.
But...
June 13 - another two-fer!
We also have our Historical Farming offering of either the 
Victorian or the Colonial periods,  such as what you see here in the 
modified first picture.  Historical Farming happens to be my 
favorite presentation,  by the way,  and one of the coolest places 
we've presented at as farmers was inside an ancient barn to a large 
group of old farmers.  Not sure how they would respond to us,  for 
many of them  "lived it,"  we were ecstatic to receive a standing ovation!
We bring the past to life in a first person manner,  weaving our 
story around the four seasons of the year,  bringing along and 
showing many different accessories that would have been used out 
in the field & garden as well as items used inside the home.
In the first picture you see here looks like we are standing in the 
midst of an active farm of 1770. Like a couple of other pictures 
I've posted,  it is a conglomerate of multiple photos to make one 
cohesive period image.
In the second picture?
Why,  that's the original!
We are both looking forward to doing this once again - - 
we're ready when you are!

Today is Flag Day,  so rather than post a period-dress reenacting picture of the day,  I thought I would post something that is living history connected:  last summer I received the Flag Certificate of Commendation from the National Society of the Sons of the American Revolution – Detroit Metropolitan Chapter - for my displaying of historic American flags.
June 14
I began collecting historic flags nearly two decades ago and I fly 
them at reenactments and at my house frequently,  which is not 
only a great teaching opportunity,  but garners great conversations 
from passersby as well.  My love of American history also caught 
the eye of the Sons of the American Revolution,  which surprised 
me with the certificate.
I was so proud that most of my family could be there for the 
certificate presentation: my wife Patty,  three of our four kids  
(Robbie,  Miles,  and Rosalia - - Tommy,  unfortunately,  had to 
work),  our daughter-in-law Samm,  and our three grandkids,  
Ben,  Addy,  and Liam.
As a historian,  this really meant a lot to me and to us.  I’ve raised 
my kids to be patriotic and to be proud of their country – past and 
present - and to celebrate the good and to learn about and not 
forget the bad,  and to know how to try to make the changes they 
believed in.
I must say I appreciate other friends,  such as Tom Bertrand and 
Bernie Dobrzykowski,  who also collect historic flags.  And I 
have many friends,  notably Beth & Kevin,  who also display 
their patriotism and American pride,  many times in fun ways.
The replicated sewn cotton historic flags seen in this picture,  
besides my bunting, are:
~the white Minutemen flag from Culpeper,  Virginia from 1775
~the Grand Union Flag from 1775  (both hanging off the porch)
~the orange 1775 Gadsden flag that I am holding
~the Liberty & Union flag that Robert has,  also from 1775
~and Miles is holding the Betsy Ross flag from 1776.
And we have a few mini-modern American flags in the front garden.
Thank you,  SAR,  from the Giorlando Family.
(And,  no,  you don’t have to display the red,  white,  and blue to be patriotic.  This is just the way I prefer to do it for myself).


Yesterday was Flag Day,  and here I am with what is considered to be the first United States Flag,  known as the Betsy Ross flag.
June 15
Betsy Ross would often tell her children,  grandchildren,  
relatives,  and friends of the fateful day when three members of a 
secret committee from the Continental Congress came to call 
upon her.  Those representatives,  George Washington,  Robert 
Morris,  and George Ross,  asked her to sew the first flag.  She 
was well acquainted with each beforehand.  This meeting 
occurred in her home some time late in May 1776.  She finished 
the flag either in late May or early June 1776.  In July,  the 
Declaration of Independence was read aloud for the first time at 
Independence Hall.  Amid celebration,  bells throughout the city 
tolled,  heralding the birth of a new nation.
On June 14,  1777,  the Continental Congress,  seeking to promote 
national pride and unity,  adopted the national flag.  
"Resolved: that the flag of the United States be thirteen stripes,  
alternate red and white;  that the union be thirteen stars,  white in 
blue field,  representing a new constellation."
Modern-day parsers of the past suggest that several 19th-century 
authors and enthusiasts of American history were overanxious to 
champion the story of Betsy Ross brought to public attention by 
her grandson,  William Canby,  in a speech before the 
Pennsylvania Historical Society in 1870.  Some historians ignore 
Canby and say,  "There's no written record of the sewing of the 
first flag;  therefore we cannot accept the story as truthful or likely."
Historians,  to their credit,  always want source documentation.  
However,  the oral history testimony of Betsy Ross's own 
daughter and other early family members recount Betsy's story,  
and historically the dates and circumstances remain unrefuted.  
Evaluating the circumstantial evidence also supports her story,  
including the paper star found in a safe in the 20th century.
~"Credited with making the first stars and stripes flag,  Ross was a 
successful upholsterer.  She produced flags for the government 
for over 50 years.  As a skilled artisan,  Ross represents the many 
women who supported their families during the Revolution and 
early Republic."  
Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission 2009~
Perhaps we'll never be 100% certain on who made the first 13 star flag, but the evidence,  in my opinion,  though I am going against the grain of historians  (who can be mistaken),  supports Betsy Ross as the maker of the first flag,  and to blow off the story as a complete fable is doing our country's history an injustice.


June 16
A number of years ago a few of us used to do living history at a 
wonderful historic farmhouse known as Waterloo Farm located in 
Grass Lake,  Michigan.  Those in charge used to allow Patty and I and 
other participants to run the farm for a day,  creating an 1860s 
family scenario - this took place in the days before we did the 
same at the Sixberry House in Hastings.  In fact,  when we would 
show up at Waterloo,  we were greeted with a hearty  "Welcome 
home!"  by the board members.  This always made us feel great 
and was a fine way to begin our day in the past.  And the workers 
there knew we were careful and would not do harm to the farm or 
any of the artifacts inside.
So,  here is my wife and I are in front of  "our"  home at Waterloo.
Now,  just so you know,  ol'  Ken is working on possibilities of 
another living history event there - - to take place this year!
Yes,  you heard it right!
I will keep you posted in the progress.


June 17
Opportunities to be in a period house is always a wonderful thing 
for a living historian.  But to be inside an 18th century house at 
night lit by candles takes it even a bit further.  Now,  please 
understand - - I was not at a reenactment here;  this was taken 
inside the 1750 Giddings House during Holiday Nights at 
Greenfield Village,  so we were passing through,  so-to-speak,  or 
"just visiting."  However,  while at Holiday Nights I usually wear 
my period clothing and scamper immediately,  as soon as the 
gates open,  to the colonial part of the Village,  so while everyone 
else is moving slowly in,  I am already able to spend a little extra 
time with the presenters before the other visitors make their way 
down.  Of course,  once these guests do begin filtering into the 
house,  I will find my way out so as the presenters can do their job.
But during those few minutes that we are alone I take full 
advantage of that time to get some pretty cool period photos...and 
talk a bit of history beyond what the general public may be 
interested in. 
These really are special moments to me to be able to do this.
By the way,  you see fellow colonial living historian Rae Bucher 
with me  (on the left)  in this picture taken in 2019.


June 18
Taken at the Jackson Civil War Muster event a number of years 
ago,  you see me here with some of the finest people I know:  
President Lincoln  (Fred A Priebe),  Senator Jacob Howard  
(Dave Tennies),  and preacher Mike  (Mike Gillett).
I have been honored of the opportunity to reenact with such fine 
gentlemen,  all of whom have taught me well on improving my 
own historical presentation.
I have nothing but high regards to each one here.


June 19
While visiting the 18th century Daggett House last November 
inside Greenfield Village,  I brought along just a couple of small 
period-correct items in hopes I might be able to get a few good 
pictures of a sort of everyday-life-in-a-colonial-house way: a 
totally hand-made  (including the paper)  journal book and a quill 
with an  (empty - no spills)  ink well.  Now,  it must be plainly 
understood that I did not  (nor would I ever)  bring these small 
table-top accessories out while the public was around  (and 
bringing such items with me in the first place is a very rare 
occurrence),  and being near the front door and window,  I can 
easily see any Village guests moving up the walkway,  allowing 
plenty of time for me to remove my objects  (and myself,  since I 
am not an employee).
Out of all my visits to Greenfield Village,  which is at minimum 
about three dozen times in a normal season,  I only dress in my 
period clothing maybe about six times tops  (though it may seem 
more for all of the photographs I post).  It is a simple pleasure for 
a simple man with a passion for the past.
There are very few 18th century buildings in Michigan - most 
original-to-the-state are up on Mackinac Island,  while one that 
was built on Michigan soil in 1789 still stands  (in Monroe).  The 
18th century buildings in Greenfield Village - Daggett,  
Giddings,  McGuffey,  and Cotswold - were all brought here from 
other states  (or from England for the Cotswold).
So now you know.


June 20
Christmas at the Fort,  which takes place at Detroit's Historic Fort 
Wayne every 1st Saturday in December,  is one of the highlights 
of the Christmas Season for me.  Not only for me,  however,  but 
for all of us who make up the  "Logan"  family of the 1860s,  and 
as such we celebrate the Holiday as if it truly were that time,  
using an actual 19th century house located on the Fort grounds.  
Our little group accomplishes this by falling into immersion and 
1st person to bring Christmas past back to life in an accurate and 
credible manner;  we do our best to stay in the past for the entire 
duration we are there.
We are always looking for ways to improve our impression,  and 
number of years ago we began a new tradition here inside the 
historic house we call home for the day that no one had been able 
to do in over 30 years:  we were able to eat in the dining 
room...and by oil lamp/candle light at that!  This came about 
when we discussed how we could expand our effectiveness to 
make it even more authentic than in previous years,  and when the 
idea came up of eating a Christmas meal in the dining room,  I 
didn't expect the Fort Wayne Coalition to agree to it.  But they 
did,  for they know that we are historical professionals in all we 
do,  and because of that we got the thumbs up.  And living history 
- Christmas living history - took a giant leap forward.
By the way,  we really do eat a fine Christmas meal,  served to us 
by the domestic servant(s)  who are also part of our presentation.
This is magical in all ways.


June 21
It was on a day in late November when I entered my favorite 
home at Greenfield Village,  the Daggett House  (representing the 
1760s).  Imagine my excitement when,  upon entering,  I saw an 
18th century loom set up in the great hall!  This very much 
excited me,  for one of my 6th great grandfathers,  William Raby,  
was a weaver in the 1760s and 1770s,  and for me this was 
historical icing on the proverbial cake.
For an extreme basic definition,  a loom is a hand-operated device 
used to weave cloth,  and contains harnesses,  lay,  reed,  shuttles,  
treadles,  etc.,  in order to make the cloth.
It is a pretty magnificent  (yet somewhat simple)  machine.
Our ancestors were true geniuses!
So,  in honor of my 6th great grandfather,  I had my image taken 
in front of the (replicated) loom sitting inside Daggett's great 
hall.  I like to think there might be some similarities between he 
and I---clothing,  for one  (lol).
Maybe one day I can actually try working a loom.
One day...


June 22
An 1860s harvest presentation!
The three main months of autumn - September,  October,  and  
November - are when harvest time generally takes place,  at least  
here in Michigan.  In times gone by,  autumn was a period of 
hard  work.  Preparation for the upcoming winter and the 
harvesting of  the crops that our ancestors cared for over the 
spring and summer  were,  perhaps,  the most important and 
arduous jobs of the year.
 Yes,  every year we do our best to replicate the spirit of harvest  
time through a variety of presentations throughout the weekend.
 And at the end of the harvest came the Thresherman's Dinner.
 A thresherman's dinner was the celebration meal in which the  
ladies of the house prepared a fine serving of food to all who  
helped in the harvest - the farming men,  the women,  and the  
children,  including neighbors who helped as well.  Oh!  It was a  
grand spectacle of a meal,  and wonderful servings of fresh  
vegetables and fruits abounded,  along with fowl and other 
meats,   just as you see here.
A regular true Thanksgiving.
And we wash it all down with freshly squeezed apple cider,  
made earlier in the day with our replicated 1860s cider press.


June 23
Here I am,  Patriot Ken,  standing with my Grand Union flag 
from late 1775.  It was also known as the Continental Union flag,  
or sometimes just the Union flag.  It had the British Union Jack as 
a canton on a field of 13 red and white stripes representing the 13 
colonies.  It is said that the symbolism apparently carried a 
double message–loyalty to Great Britain but unity of the 
American colonies.
The Grand Union Flag was the flag of the united colonies on 
July 4,  1776 when they declared their independence from 
Great Britain,  as well as on September 9,  1776, when the name  
"United States"  was chosen for the former British colonies.  It 
remained the first American flag,  though unofficial,  of the 
United States until the Flag Resolution of 1777,  which was 
passed on June 14 of that year, making the 13 star flag the official 
United States flag.  The new 13 star flag replaced the British 
Union with  "13 stars,  white in a blue field,  representing 
a new constellation."
Over the past decade or so I have been collecting historical 
American flags and,  if you saw my photo on Flag Day last 
week,  you can see what I have.


June 24
Okay - it's going to take a bit of searching to spot me in this 
picture,  but I am there,  on the gazebo,  center right.  I like to call 
this picture  "Ladies and Gentlemen of the 1860s,"  for the group 
you see here brought the past to life in a way rarely seen or 
experienced.  My friend  (and reenactor extraordinaire),  Sandy,  
put together what became the reenacting event of the 2010 
season:  "A living history event for the serious historian."  It took 
place in July at Flint's Crossroads Village - one of the most 
authentic-looking open air museums  I have visited,  with plenty 
of trees,  dirt roads,  wood-plank sidewalks - the real deal.
Sandy had ensured for this to be the ultimate living history 
experience for all involved.  She encouraged first person 
impressions and the Village allowed usage of the period houses 
and buildings to accent interpretations.  Activities on the agenda 
included a welcome home parade for the Union men in blue,  a 
political rally and town meeting with Mayor Morgan,  authentic 
activities for children including school and games,  a period 
church service and picnic,  and numerous other features.  All 
civilian participants had to have a period impression - no camp 
sitters.  This was every bit a  "grand spectacle"  of an 1860s 
village celebration as a living historian could hope for,  for we 
really did bring a small northern town of the 1860s to life in a 
way rarely seen in modern times.  We had hoped to have it 
continue and become an annual event,  but,  due to extenuating 
circumstances,  it wasn't to be. 
This 1860s Village Celebration was the catalyst for me personally to take reenacting to the time-travel limit,  and will always be a true highlight in my reenacting journey through time.  My hat is off to Sandy for all she did to make the past come alive.


June 25
Not at a reenactment,  but,  rather,  at a friend's farm.
Patty and I took riding lessons back in the days before we had 
kids,  and,  like riding a bike,  you never forget.
I absolutely love horseback riding.  Unfortunately,  I don't get to 
go nearly as often as I'd like to.  And riding in period clothing 
really does make for great photographs - it adds a new flavor.
I'm hoping to have the opportunity again  (hint hint),  for I have 
some very cool picture ideas in mind. 
In the meantime,  I can dream,  can't I?


June 26
A gristmill is a fairly large building that flourished in America by 
meeting an important local need in agricultural communities:  
grinding the farmers' grain into flour with large,  circular stones.  
Of course,  a toll,  usually in kind or in barter,  would be paid 
for the service.
From colonial times through most of the nineteenth century,  
gristmills,  such as Wolcott Mill,  in which you see Patty and I 
sitting in front of while we were wearing our 1860s clothing,  
were found in nearly every community.  Wolcott Mill is among 
the oldest mills in Michigan and was built in the mid 1840s in 
what is now Ray Township by the Arad Freeman family,  who 
were early Macomb County settlers.  It passed through several 
owners before Frederick Wolcott purchased it in 1878,  
hence its known name.
The Wolcott Mill Civil War reenactment,  now defunct,  is one of 
the events I miss most of all.


June 27
Here you see me,  along with a few other members of  Citizens of 
the American Colonies living history group,  celebrating 
Independence Day at Historic Mill Race Village in Northville,  Mi. 
It was in 2016 when I formed the Citizens group;  since I do not 
portray military,  and since the civilians already attached to 
military units are well-established,  and since my style of 
reenacting was different than most - not better, not worse,  but a 
different style - and since a number of my friends who also did 
Civil War were interested in doing RevWar,  forming my Citizens 
group was,  I believe,  the right thing to do.
And,  for the members,  it was!
Citizens of the American Colonies has already made a good name 
for ourselves,  especially at Mill Race Village,  and we attend 
most every 18th century event in the area.  We accept nearly all 
levels of reenactors,  as long as they strive to improve their 
impression with continued research beyond what I've been 
calling  "Facebook University"  (those who get their information 
from memes or people who haven't picked up a history book but 
believe and come off as if they  "know history" - you'd be 
surprised!),  and movies  (great for entertainment but not so great 
for historical accuracy,  for the most part).  Reenacting is so much 
deeper than most non-reenactors realize,  for history itself is so 
much deeper than what most tend to believe.  Therefore,  research 
is a must!  My friends and members in this photo are always in a 
state of research,  and for that,  I commend them.
And yet,  we are nowhere near  "know-it-alls"...but we continue 
on the right path to gain historical knowledge.
As for the,  um,  angle of this shot,  I sometimes enjoy pictures,  
by the way,  taken from non-conventional angles.  
Again,  it adds a bit of life.
Yeah...I look at things differently...


June 28
Today we go way-back...to 2007 when I,  dressed in my 1860's 
finest,  met 2007 Miss Michigan Kristen Haglund,  who was 
dressed in her  2007 finest.  This happened when members of the 
21st Michigan marched in the Oak Park parade for the 4th of 
July.  Afterward,  all participants met in one of the city parks for a 
sort of special 4th of July city party.
So there we were,  Civil War reenactors,  tucked up in a little 
corner of the park,  alongside the school bands,  the floats,  
firetruck,  and other parade marchers.
And also Kristen Haglund.
So,  as I did the year before with the previous Miss Michigan,  I 
had a picture taken with her. 
But the 2007 Miss Michigan was different - it was later that year 
that she became Miss America 2008!
Pretty cool,  eh?


June 29
Visiting Greenfield Village in modern clothes is,  to me,  akin to 
attending a wedding in grubby work clothes;  
something just ain't right.
Late last fall a few of us were at the Village,  appropriately 
dressed for the 18th century,  and had what I believe we all would 
agree to be the best time ever.  Everything just felt right.  We 
seemed to accomplish that  "time-travel experience."
It's these little opportunities to sort of create our own events that,  
for us,  keeps our hobby  (and sometimes our sanity)  alive,  
especially with times being what they are.  I hate calling what we 
do a hobby,  but that's pretty much what it is,  though there are 
those who take it quite a bit farther than what I do,  believe it or 
not,  and I so admire them!  I've said it before:  I am every bit as 
comfortable in my 18th century clothing as my modern clothing - 
- even moreso,  to some extent.  If it wasn't so expensive - and if I could get away with it - I would wear them more often 
in my daily life.
Ah...maybe when I retire.  Ha!  Ha!!---where some call old 
women with cats  "crazy cat ladies,"  I would be known simply as 
that  "crazy old guy"!
Hmmm...quite possibly,  I already am!
Bully for me,  then!


June 30
A bustling street in Detroit in the 1860s.
In the early part of the 19th century,  a system of plank roads 
leading out of Detroit was established.  They followed precisely 
the paths of today's main arteries - Michigan Avenue,  Grand 
River,  Woodward,  Gratiot,  and Jefferson.  As the century 
progressed there were  "fine residential areas where huge elm,  
maple,  and chestnut trees shaded the streets,  and gracious 
homes,  most of them framed and painted either white or dark 
green,  gave the new residential areas an air of comfort and well-
being.  The streets were paved with cobblestones and cedar 
blocks,  and the sidewalks were made of wood.
In 1851,  gaslights began to replace the use of tallow candles or 
lamps which burned lard and whale oil,  (and)  the curfew bell 
rang at six in the morning,  noon,  and six and nine at night to 
give the citizens the time.  The first signs of major industry 
emerged in the 1840's and 50's as the value of Michigan's timber,  
iron ore,  copper,  and other natural resources became apparent.  
With all of this progress,  it was only a matter of time that Detroit 
would get the modern transport system of horse-drawn streetcars,  
which made their first appearance in 1863 on Jefferson Avenue."
Now wouldn't that be cool to show at a reenactment?
But this photograph,  taken at beautiful Historic Fort Wayne 
during a Civil War event,  shows a bustling residential street of 
1860s Detroit,  with the wood-plank sidewalks and homes from 
the 19th century.  It is as close as we can show of 1800s Detroit.

So here we are...July 1st,  and all  "official"  Civil War reenactments in my general area of Michigan have been cancelled,  and all but one  (that I know of)  of the Revolutionary War reenactments are also kaput for this year.  And because this  'pandemic,'  unfortunately,  continues on to some extent,  you'll see a July collection of reenactor's challenge pictures posted here come August 1st...and probably on September 1st as well.
That makes me sad.
And it seems I am pretty much the only one left on Facebook doing this Reenactor Photo Challenge.  It originally was supposed to be only ten days worth of pictures,  but as of  June 30 I am up to 96!
Well,  I am enjoying it,  so I will continue until whenever.
Here's to hoping and praying that new memories of old times can be made - - - and soon!

Until next time,  see you in time.

To see the May Photo Challenge collection,  click HERE
To see the springtime collection,  click HERE























~   ~   ~

No comments: