Sunday, January 8, 2023

A Year In the Life of a Living Historian - 2022

"We are tellers of stories,  we history folks.  Our decorative and utilitarian objects are not merely things,  but clues to tales of our past as a country.  We don't just purchase a lantern;  we investigate how it was used and the significance of the pattern of the piercing of the tin.
All of the looking back is also a looking forward as friends and families grow closer just as they would have in early America.  Make the right historical environment and let the situations and camaraderie unfold."
Tess Rosch - Publisher Early American Life Magazine

~   ~   ~

It's easy to say what a crappy year 2022 has been.  
Sometimes yes.  But sometimes no.
Politically,  it has had its issues,  to say the least.  I believe the politics of the day has divided us as a people,  and it seems many people - too many,  in fact - actually enjoy the division that's occurring,  for some reason  (maybe they feel division gives them some sort of a purpose?). 
I don't know...
However,  many of us go against the grain and remain friends no matter what political beliefs one may have,  for we are historical reenactors and living historians,  and our collective love for the past tends to bring us together instead of dividing us.
Damn the torpedoes,  full speed ahead,  right?
Well,  as I do every year,  I like to include each and every time I found myself in period clothing as a sort of memory book of the time-traveling year.  It helped me to realize that 2022 wasn't such a bad year after all.

Beginning in January:
The Citizens of the American Colonies Christmas Party~
It's not a large group,  but a good group!

The Citizens of the American Colonies Christmas Party~
We played parlor games including the 12 Days/Gifts of Christmas.
You see,  this game/song actually began as a memory parlor game,  not unlike the more modern electronic  "Simon"  from a few years back;  the rules of the game were simple:  each person took a turn recalling the verses the previous person(s) sung,  then they added a new verse to the end.  If a someone forgot a verse,  they had to pay a forfeit that typically involved kissing or giving the others a small gift - perhaps candy.  It's said this game may go back as far as the 1500s in England or may possibly be as recent as the early 1800s.  Well,  without the kiss or candy,  we played this old parlor game.  However,  nothing from the now popular song could be used;  no partridges in pear trees,  no maids a-milking or drummers drumming...we had to make up our own  "gifts."  For instance,  eight jugs of Madeira,  seven candles burning,  six horses running,  and on and on.  

And only a week later,  the colonial party was followed by - 
The 21st Michigan Civil War era Christmas Party~
It's not like from previous years when we've had 80 or more members show up.
Perhaps the party for 2023 will be larger?
No matter for we all had a lot of fun.

The 21st Michigan Civil War era Christmas Party~
Whatta buncha goodballs!
And I love  'em every one.

And then toward the end of  January a few of us found ourselves bearing extreme cold - low 20s heading down to the single digits:
Wintertime at the Colonial Frontier Cabin in Waterloo~
Wintertime,  indeed!
Our time is 250 years ago,  so we are in 1772 here.

Wintertime at the Colonial Frontier Cabin in Waterloo
Only three of us were there,   and due to the extreme
cold we stayed close to the hearth.

Wintertime at the Colonial Frontier Cabin in Waterloo
I got to use my pipkin for the first time!
Look at the steam coming from our fresh-off-the-hearth food!


Wintertime at the Colonial Frontier Cabin in Waterloo
We're one tough lot,  that's for sure!

And in mid-February we celebrated the birthday of the father of our Country,  George Washington:
Celebrating the Birth of George Washington.
It was a pleasant time for each of us.

And now we head into March:
Bob,  Larissa, and I were finally able to present to members of the local
Detroit Chapter of the SAR:  the Sons of the American Revolution~
We represented Ben Franklin,  Sybil Ludington,  and Paul Revere.
But there was a surprise in store for me:
I was very surprised to learn that I was to receive
the Bronze Good Citizenship Medal
It was in recognition for important contributions I made to the community.  "Ken Giorlando has been a living historian for almost 20 years.  (He)  actively writes multiple history-based blogs including Passion for the Past...and Greenfield Village Open-Air Museum.  He also maintains the Friends of Greenfield Village Facebook page...
In recognition of Ken's ongoing efforts to keep history alive in our community,  the Detroit Metro Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution is very pleased and honored to present him with the SAR Bronze Good Citizenship Medal."
Yeah...you can have your  "degree" - I'd rather be honored by those who know history,  such as the Sons of the American Revolution.

Look what event returned after a two year covid break:
The Kalamazoo Living History Show!
And it was packed as if there was no break.
SO glad!

Spring hath sprung in April:
Plymouth Historical Museum's  "A Night at the Museum"  is always great fun!
The kids always appreciate our  "past comes to life"  gathering.

Dr.  Franklin & I sat for a chat.
Plymouth Historical Museum's  "A Night at the Museum"

Also in April:
Patriot's Day at Mill Race Village~
I am so proud of the reenactor turn out - 
we had such a large group of participants!  I hope we can match this in 2023!

Patriot's Day at Mill Race Village~
Since we had a goodly amount of reenactors,  I was able to speak to the guests
who were there to witness history come to life.

Patriot's Day at Mill Race Village~
The Battle of Lexington Green commences!

Patriot's Day at Mill Race Village~
The American Militia.

And now we'll head to the Merry Merry Month of  May:
Spring at the colonial Frontier Cabin~
Planting flax.
My wife Patty actually came out with the cabin crew for the first time!

Spring at the colonial Frontier Cabin~
Having guests experience the past.
Most of our cabin time is us on our own,  but in the springtime we
present to people who come out to visit.

Spring at the colonial Frontier Cabin~
Taking a few minutes to relax before dinner.
Here in the late afternoon many of the visitors had left.

Spring at the colonial Frontier Cabin~
Our 2022 1772 springtime group!

And,  all of a sudden,  it's June!
And I participated in the Chesterfield Historical Timeline event.

The Chesterfield Historical Timeline event~
Another colonial!

Later that month - actually,  just a week later:
I found myself  at another cabin up,  this time in Port Sanilac
for the Lac Ste.  Claire Voyageur event a week later.

Now we head into July:
In particular,  the 4th of July!
It's been years since I celebrated our Independence Day as much as I did this year.  Of course,  the great weather helped.
Salute to America at Greenfield Village~
Patty and I dressed for the occasion.
Don't we look patriotic?

Salute to America at Greenfield Village~
We walked around the Village in the summer heat
so we found a place to rest under a tree.

Salute to America at Greenfield Village~
One of my favorite images taken of us!

The next day was the 4th of July,  and we were back at Mill Race Village celebrating.
It's been a few years since we did it like this:
Independence Day at Mill Race Village!

Independence Day at Mill Race Village!
There were thousands of people who came through.
We didn't let them down.
Independence Day at Mill Race Village!
This is the most fun I've had celebrating this holiday since 1976's Bicentennial!

A couple weeks later and I found myself living the Victorian life:
In mid-July we were all together again recreating our 1860s family at
Charlton Park after a few year absence. 

At Charlton Park our 1860s family gets a period house to  "live"  in for the day, 
much in the same manner as the cabin at Waterloo.

Charlton Park has some of the best Civil War battle scenarios.

We get together to make ice cream and invite many of the other reenactors to partake -
a sort of ice cream social.

The very next day I could be found in the town of Frankenmuth:
The reenactment is called Colonial Frankenmuth.  
I enjoy this event for all of the activities,  including axe throwing.

And the day after Frankenmuth - Monday - I was in my colonial clothing once again:
Larissa & I did a historic farming presentation for the summer activities
class I worked at - Building Bridges.  It is a three-week program for high school teens.

And I love the kind note we received!

Still in July:
At the end of July we were back at the colonial Frontier cabin
 for our summertime excursion there.

Too many weeds ruined my flax crop this year.

Our summer 1772 group!

No Larissa this time,  but the three of us did great!

We're already in August!
Civil War Days at Port Sanilac~
It was a hot summer day,  so I found a most comfortable spot to lay my head.

Civil War Days at Port Sanilac~
A group shot of most who were there.

Civil War Days at Port Sanilac~
I titled this blog post  "The Sun Sets On Port Sanilac,"  because,  well,  this was
it.  Due to lack of participation from reenactors,  this event has officially ended.
For good.
Very sad...

Port Oneida Farm Fair~
Since 2016,  Larissa and I have been doing 1860s farming
presentations at the Port Oneida historic farming fair, 
and I really hope it continues.  

Port Oneida Farm Fair~
We have a great audience for each one we do and get quite a few compliments.


Colonial Kensington~
This was the comeback of the year!
Many thought this event was dying,  yet it came back with a vengeance!

Colonial Kensington~
I was very please that they allowed me to show processing the flax.
That was a highlight for me.

Colonial Kensington~
Horse and wagon tours!
Yep - can't wait til August!

And another comeback:
Jackson Civil War Muster~
Like Colonial Kensington,  folks thought Jackson was done for.
But...
Jackson Civil War Muster came back as strong as ever!

Jackson Civil War Muster~

August was a busy month!
The Armada Fair~
Here is 1860s farmer Ken with a hand flail up against a much more modern
 mechanical threshing machine.

The Selinsky-Green Farm House~
I spent a day at the historic farmhouse in St.  Clair Shores with my friends.

Now we head into the season of Fall - September:
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of  Eastpointe's Erin-Halfway
School House.
I gave the history and Melody portrayed a 19th century school marm.

Bay City River of Time  (timeline event)~
I was asked to speak as Paul Revere - - and I'm on the program!

Bay City River of Time  (timeline event)~
I had a very good crowd of people there -
I'm so proud to be able to represent my childhood hero!

That was it for September,  so we'll move into October:
Vermillion Creek is always a fine event!
Again,  the four of us are quite a group!

Vermillion Creek
Larissa forced me to switch hats with her. 
Luckily,  we switched back because I look mighty silly!

Vermillion Creek
The 1st Pennsylvania

Later that night...here I am at my home...having historical fun.


Pioneer Day at Waterloo - we got the cabin back!
And,  again,  I got to show the flax process.

Pioneer Day at Waterloo~
We had a  "beet eating contest"

Pioneer Day at Waterloo
Dinnertime.
Yes,  my wife Patty was here again!

Pioneer Day at Waterloo~
Those of us representing the 17th and 18th centuries.

Twice I visited Greenfield Village for their Hallowe'en event,  wearing different historical clothing each time:
The first time I went I wore my colonial clothing.

Yeah,  I helped stir the beer they were making...or was I?

I also had my photo taken at the makeshift Van Tassel Farm 
 (from Legend of Sleepy Hollow).

A week later my wife & I had our photo taken at the same spot...sort of pseudo-Victorian. 

October quickly turned into November.
Sometimes the speed of time is astounding!
Our fall cabin day fell through due to unforeseen circumstances,  which was unfortunate,  for I was planning a major candle-dipping day;  for the first time I had hoped to make tallow candles.  Well,  'twas not to be so I thought perhaps I could do it in my own yard.  I mean,  I dip candles back there every year,  so why not get a few friends to dress and come over and help,  right?
Not when 50 mile an hour winds were a-blowin'!
So,  instead,  we all just sort of hung out,  had many laughs,  and enjoyed each other's company. 
I am flanked by Larissa and Rebecca,  both of whom have a long history
working at the Daggett House..

Here's a group shot on this windy November 5th day.
Yes,  the ladies are wearing my hats.
What is it about hats lately??
lol

We had such a fun day,  but I also enjoy the peace of the late afternoon...
Of course...that's when the wind died down..

Toward the end of the month of November - the Saturday following Thanksgiving,  in fact - found a few of us back at Greenfield Village,  spending a good part of our time in and around the homes from the 18th century:
A photo taken by Chris Robey

Chris also took this shot,  but with my camera,  of us inside the Plympton House.
There were plenty more photos taken - click HERE to see 'em.


And with that we are now in the month of DECEMBER:
You may or may not know that I head up a period vocal group known as Simply Dickens.  We do old world Christmas Carols.  The kind not often heard on the radio or elsewhere.  Oh,  I am not a singer,  through I do take part in one of the carols  (Jolly Old Hawk);  I am manager,  part director,  part arranger,  and call them together for rehearsals.  I also announce each tune while on stage and give a bit of history for each one we do.  We dress in mostly Victorian clothing  (though I've been known to wear my colonial clothes at certain performances).
So!  Since I am in period clothing,  I added a couple pictures to this collection:
The original Simply Dickens began at the Holly Dickens Festival back in 2001.
And we still perform there.
So that's where these photos were taken.
This is the 2022 version of  Simply Dickens.

Wait---could it be----Charles Dickens?
Naw!  It's just ol'  Ken!

(Picture taken by Heather Thornton)

One of my favorite reenacting groups,  of which I've never seen or met for they are from England,  are the Ragged Victorians,  living historians beyond compare.  I based the look of this photo on what they do. 
Check out the Ragged Victorians HERE.

We are now in the end of December,  and for my last  "dress up"  of the year I traveled,  once again  (and for the last time until April)  to Greenfield Village for their Christmas event,  Holiday Nights.
In front of the Daggett House - 
There is a complete different feel in these night time photos.

And inside to have a warm before the fire.
And with that,  another year of experiencing the past is done,  and a new one has just begun.  As I wrote in the very first lines on my very first Passion for the Past post back in November 2007:
"Why is it that the past enthralls me so much?  I have asked myself that question many times but I have no absolute answers."
And I still don't.
Since I was a young child still in my single-digit age I have loved the past.  
Now I live it.
But why?
Perhaps the challenge to recreate a time long gone accurately is a part of it.  Perhaps it is to learn the truth about the past and the way folks lived.
Then again,  maybe it's experiencing  the past - finding myself inside my history books - is what does it for me;  to see,  hear,  smell,  touch,  and yes,  sometimes even taste what once was - immersiveness.  I wrote the following about my time in the 18th century cabin in January 2021:
I was taken at how prominent the sounds of the past were so strong a part of our experience.  And it was as I worked the various  (flax processing)  tools that I came to realize just how immersed we actually were;  I heard the crunching of the dried flax between the hinges of the flax break,  while the clanging of the cast iron pots and pans - lids lifted for checking the food then lowered...and spoons stirring - came forth,  with the women speaking to each other about the dinner being prepared,  all the time the fire in the hearth snapping and crackling to fill in the gaps...even while I was outside on the small porch,  pulling the flax through the hackle,  I could hear the continuous sounds of the clunky 18th century shoes thumping across the cabin floor as the ladies moved about.  My own shoes added to that particular sound when I,  too,  was inside.
Pretty telling,  huh?
Some people are totally into sports,  and even have rooms - "man caves"  is what they're called  (geez---I hate  that term!) - where all of their sporting memorabilia is displayed.  
Here is my room:
Not very sportsy or cave-like  (lol).
It is based on the 18th century Daggett House -
I call it "Daggett-izing."
Recreating the past in my own house,  which is definitely not  a  "man-cave."
So,  yeah,  for whatever reason,  history has always been very important to me,  and I have been blessed - absolutely blessed - to have been able to experience  life in a former time in the manner that I do,  and with whom I do it.

Until next time,  see you in time.































~   ~   ~










No comments: