Thursday, December 7, 2023

Black Friday at Greenfield Village 2023

The shadow and spirit of the present...
and the past...is within me.
Since 2009,  I've spent most Black Fridays - this "holiday for shoppers" - visiting the past at Greenfield Village.  Though this visit usually happens on Black Friday itself,  many times it has occurred on the Saturday or Sunday following,  sometimes with family and sometimes with friends.  Or with both family and  friends.
14 years so far,  and counting.
Thanksgiving weekend is the last time until April that Greenfield Village will be open during the daytime hours, so it is a must for me to make one last stroll along the historic streets before it's shut down.
Greenfield Village is my solace...my sanity...so,  yes,  it is a must for me.
Just like my first visit of the season in spring  (and numerous others during the summer and fall),  I like to accent my final visit by wearing period clothing.  And since 2014,  always in Colonial/1770s garb.
Okay,  I have to admit,  I really dislike the shopping premise of Black Friday  and the idea that many think of it as an extension of the Thanksgiving Holiday.
(((shudder)))
If you are a Black Friday person,  I hope your day is wonderful.  I really do.
Me?
Here is my version of celebrating the day after Thanksgiving - it is a meme I created from when I visited Colonial Williamsburg a while back - - - 
Well,  I figured that since I was already up to do my morning chores,  I might as well see what deals were to be had at the John Greenhow Store.  Well,  let me tell you,  I got such savings on feed,  candle wicking,  pottery cups,  journals & diaries,  quill and ink,  tins,  wrought-iron decorations,  playing cards,  barrels,  furs,  guns,  fabric...something for everyone on my list! 
Yes,  let's celebrate that day when millions upon millions of people,  just a day before,  were thankful for all they had,  and now feel they must awaken at 3 in the morning  (or earlier)  to stand in line,  freezing,  to purchase more more more buy buy buy!!!!!  Buy things.  Everybody buy.  It doesn’t matter what you buy.  Just buy.  It doesn’t matter if you don’t have money.  Just buy.  If you are alive you must buy.  Buy like you breathe,  only more frequently
Nope.  
Don't think I will.  
You do you,  and I'll do me.  
In fact,  I think I'll dive into the time-travel mobile and continue my time-travel adventures...
The first picture shows the year 1970 with a 
late '60s Ford Mustang traveling on a road through a mountain 
pass in North Carolina 

The second shows a bit of time overlap,  with two time periods 
blending a bit...

...and the third photo shows the same pathway,  as it was in 1768.
(The above three photos I snatched from the Outlander TV series)

For me,  the reason why Thanksgiving Weekend is so important to visit Greenfield Village is because it is the final weekend of the year for the Village to be open during the daytime,  for through December they are only open for the ticketed Holiday Nights event.  Now,  I do go to Holiday Nights,  but I will miss the daytime visits greatly.
We moved past this house built in the mid-19th century - the Ford Home.
A carriage pulled by a couple of horses moves past the Birthplace of Henry Ford.
The inside of the Ford Home is already decorated for a 1776 Christmas:

And if you look closely,  you can see the table-top Christmas Tree in the parlor.

We - as in my friends & I - moved past the Village business district to head to the far side...heading east toward the colonial portion of Greenfield Village.
We stopped to admire the natural beauty before crossing the Ackley Covered Bridge.
Norm & Charlotte~
The weeping willow tree leaves are hanging on,  even this late in the year.
So we then crossed the Ackley Covered Bridge,  built in 1832.   Now,  during the time we are dressed for  - mid-to-late 18th century - there were no covered bridges in America:  they did not come around until the early 1800s - 1805,  in fact.  I learned this only a few scant years ago.  To some it is no big deal;  it makes for a nice picture.  
Which it does,  but a few of us in Citizens of the American Colonies have a sort of rallying cry to  "up our game,"  meaning to do our best not to have anachronisms in our midst.  
Are we perfect?  
Are we there yet?  
No and no.  
But we are working on it.  
And I know to some this is only dressing up for a visit and not an  "official"  event.  However,  I am going to start insisting that for those wanting to be with our group on these quick made up day events to also work on  "upping their game,"  rather than just be blasé'  about it.  This is important to me - it's almost like a practice run - so we should always do out best to be  "there."  
Sometimes certain things cannot be helped,  such as while at Greenfield Village,  oftentimes you'll find photos of us dressed 1770s with a building from the 19th century in the background.  For the most part,  I really make a conscious effort to not have such a photo taken of me,  though if visitors ask to take pictures,  I don't argue. 
It happens.
But in virtually every picture in this week's post,  I am either in or near actual 18th century buildings or,  at the very least,  in or near a structure that can pass for one.
I will make sure to point each out here,  to keep it all on the up and up.
By the way,  I did do a fun sort of  purposefully farby  "creative anachronism"  posting a few years ago you might enjoy  (click HERE)

Our immersion experience is being surrounded by the past.
One of our first stops was at the mid-18th century home of John Giddings.
The home of John Giddings is a wonderful example of an upper-middle class merchant home,  showing life in the mid-to-late 1700s.
Up to the bed chamber inside the Giddings House...
"Bed chamber"  is the same as what we today call a  "bed room" - 
a place to sleep.  As far as I can tell,  the name changed over the course
of the 19th century.
As a living historian,  I often will try to use such verbiage  (as  "bed chamber,"  for instance),  though being a far cry from colonial 1st person.  And even sometimes I'll find a few of these words from the past sneaking into my present conversations.
You,  too?
Another posed photo in front of Giddings.
You see a variety of clothing styles here,  all of the same period, 
and all reflecting our class  (or status)  in life. 

A Kathy Brock photograph~

Across the street from Giddings sits the home once belonging to Thomas Plympton,  built sometime in the very early 1700s.  This is actually the second Plympton Home,  for the first one was built around 1640 but had caught fire and was burned down in the early 1700's.  I am not certain exactly when this newer structure was completed,  though we can safely assume it was probably not long after the first house burned.  And we also know that it was built around the same brick chimney and hearth from the first home,  which has a brick dated from 1640. 
Do you suppose Thomas Plympton,  the the leading Whig in Sudbury,  is home - - ?
In this case,  Whig meant that Thomas Plympton was an American colonist who supported the idea of,  and eventual act of,  the American Revolution
Lynn is knocking on the very same door that Abel Prescott pounded on in the early morning hours of April 19,  1775 to let Plympton know about the British Regular Army marching on Concord.  Abel was the brother of Samuel Prescott,  a rider with Paul Revere and William Dawes!
For some reason,  Greenfield Village does not make note of this house's small connection to the Revolutionary War.  I myself initially found this information while researching the house at the Benson Ford Research Library on the same campus as Greenfield Village.  I then took it further and found other books and information stating the same.
No question on this house's connection to history.
These walls talk---are you listening to their stories?
Yep---inside the Plympton Home.
As it stands currently,  upon moving through the doorway the visitor will hear a recording automatically begin to play...some singing initially,  then a dinner conversation, the voices almost like ghosts as we listen in on a family planning their day...a day three hundred years ago.
All help to tell the early 18th century  (hi)story of this house and those who lived in it.  
Life in the early 1700s~
This room,  which was the kitchen,  dining room,  and living room all rolled into one,  has its own story to tell.  For a quick overview we can see a large wooden box off to the right.  This was a rare inside well - most wells were outdoors.  We also know that the bricks of the fireplace were made by hand and are of various sizes.  There are various chairs surrounding the table,  known as a hutch table,  with two of them called Carver while the others are known as  "ladder back chairs,"  which were very popular during the time,  as was the red-painted wooden  "settle"  left of center with its high back.  With a quick scan of the room we can see various other historic objects such as the cooking implements near the hearth,  a bed warmer,  a butter churn,  a large  "great wheel"  (or walking wheel)  for spinning,  plates made of redware,  wood,  pewter or even tin,  candle sticks,  drinking vessels made of horn and pewter...
On the left we have a blanket chest from 1680 to 1700.  Next, on the back wall,  
there is a hutch  (with no year given). 

 
I have a Facebook friend,  Kimberly Elder,  who lives in New England,  and she has traced her direct ancestry to this house.
How cool is that?
So I do try to take photos for her during my visits.  And she has often thought of me as portraying her multiple-great grandfather,  Thomas Plympton,  who was awakened by Abel Prescott back in April of 1775.
And look what we have just across the way!
Daggett!

Sam Daggett's house,  built around 1750 or so.
Yes,  my favorite house - structure - inside Greenfield Village.
So what  "spell"  does the Daggett House hold on me?
Well,  it is not a spell at all.  Rather,  for me,  Samuel Daggett,  his family and his life,  just seems to fit the criteria of...me...had I lived back in those mid-18th century days.
But,  as for my passion for this house:
A)  The house is an authentic historical artifact that was built around 1750  (my favorite time-period)
B)  It is restored to look as it may have during the last half of the 18th century  (yes!!)
C)  As it sits inside Greenfield Village,  period-dress presenters work in and around the house,  doing chores and activities of those who actually lived in it when it was first built  (I,  myself,  have watched and learned from a few of these presenters,  and then I took their teachings a bit further and researched what they had told me about,  and even passed the knowledge along as well)
D)  This more than likely would have been my life had I'da'  lived back then  (and I'm sort of experiencing it every visit to the frontier cabin - see links at the bottom of this post)
Gotta have that posed group picture in front of the Daggett House!
Yes,  it is true that if I had the money and was at least 30 years younger,  I would replicate this house,  as I've read that a local couple did about 15 or 20 years ago.
In fact,  here is an article about it as it was in the February 2002 Country Home magazine:
Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5a
Page 5b

Page 4

Page 5
 
Page 6
Page 7

We all have our dream homes,  right?  This is mine.  I envy the young couple who were able to make their dream house into a reality.
Yeah,  I've had multiple people actually tell me that I'm obsessed  with this house.
I laugh at that - I've seen and heard of people who have real obsessions,  like some who watch football:
"I watch two games on Sunday.  I tape three,  then I watch the Monday game;  Tuesday I watch one of the three I taped,  Wednesday I watch another one...I watch the Thursday night game,  then Friday I watch the Sunday night game.  Saturday I watch college football."
Bill Burr  (comedian...but being legit here in his comment)  
Now,  I would say that  is a bit obsessive.
But it's cool - it's what he loves.
My point is,  no one blinks an eye at sports obsessions,  but me visiting the Daggett House once a week or so,  researching the family,  and perhaps writing blog posts about it is somehow extreme?
Yeah...you get the picture,  huh?
While inside,  I spoke a bit with Elda.
Or is she Anna Daggett?
Elda has been with Greenfield Village for only a year or so,  but she has taken
to her job wonderfully.  One would think she's been there much longer.

Preparing the dinner meal.

Jackie was so happy to be there,  she was just a-glowin'
while inside the Daggett kitchen!
Being that this is Thanksgiving Weekend,  I thought I would include a thankful note that has touched me.  I found this particular note,  written on Thursday November 21,  1793 by 75 year old Samuel Lane of Stratham,  New Hampshire,  in one of the books in my home library,  and it made me think of Samuel Daggett.  The two men were near the same age at the time and,  considering their religious conservatism,  were probably very similar in many ways:
As I was musing on my Bed being awake as Usual before Daylight;  
recollecting the Many Mercies and good things I enjoy for which 
I ought to be thankful this Day;
The Life & health of myself and family, and also of so many of 
my Children,  grand Children and great grandchildren...
for my Bible and Many other good and Useful Books,  
Civil and Religious Priviledges...
for my Land,  House and Barn and other Buildings,  & that they are 
preserv'd from fire & other accidents.
for my wearing Clothes to keep me warm,  my Bed & Bedding to rest upon.
for my Cattle,  Sheep & Swine & other Creatures,  for my support.
for my Corn, Wheat,  Rye Grass and Hay;  Wool,  flax,  Syder,  Apples,  Pumpkins,  Potatoes,  cabages,  tirnips, Carrots,  Beets,  peaches and other fruit.
For my Clock and Watch to measure my passing time by Day and by Night.
Wood,  Water,  Butter,  Cheese,  Milk,  Pork,  Beefe,  & fish, &c.
for Tea,  Sugar,  Rum,  Wine,  Gin,  Molasses,  peper,  Spice &  Money for to bye other Necessaries and to pay my Debts and Taxes &c.
for my lether,  Lamp oyl &  Candles,  Husbandry Utensils, & other tools of every sort...
Bless the Lord O my Soul and all that is within me Bless his holy Name...
I believe I could see Samuel Daggett reciting such a prayer,  a blessing...
Even though Mr.  Daggett did not write this particular prayer,  one can easily imagine this man sitting at his writing desk - perhaps in his bed chamber or at the table in the parlor or great hall,  quill in hand - early on a cold November morning,  the sun arising out of the eastern sky...
Such beautiful and sincere thoughts. 
So glad Samuel Lane of Stratham,  New Hampshire  "shared"  them with us.

It was not too busy of a morning so we were able to enjoy some time speaking with the presenters,  asking them questions of a deeper nature.
Jackie  and Charlotte speak to Kristen about hearth cooking ~

That's Kirsten & I at the window spring at the 18th century world~
Ope---I see visitors a-comin'  up the pathway.  Time for the rest of us to take our
leave so 
Elda and Kirsten can present.
When I see other Greenfield Village guests come into a house I happen to be in as well,  I try to make it a point to not remain inside the homes if I am also wearing period clothing,  as to not give off an impression that I am an employee,  so when I see visitors coming our way,  I try to duck out.
And if I am caught or stuck inside,  I keep my mouth shut,  for it is not my place to speak to the guests---it is for the house presenters to do so.
With other guests strolling into the house,  it was off to visit Roy outside!

Charlotte and Elda in the kitchen.

As guests came in,  the rest of us moved out to where presenter Roy was working chopping wood.
If you recall,  I visited Roy every week this past summer while he and Chuck built the new well-sweep.
That's the red Plympton House from the early 1700s that we visited earlier there,  and
on the right side of this photo is the 1633 Farris Windmill,  originally built on Cape Cod.
This could be Samuel Daggett gathering the wood he chopped for the upcoming winter months,  for all we know  (lol).  That's one chore that was never-ending,  for you can never have enough wood.  Most Colonial homes would have needed at least 40 cords of wood for heating and cooking over the course of a year.  A cord of wood is roughly a stack of wood 4 feet wide,  4 feet high,  and 8 feet long.
Roy here,  in his representation of a colonial man like Mr. Daggett,  spent a good part of his day with the axe in his hand.
On such a cool day as this  (mid-30s),  he was heated twice: 
the first time while chopping the wood,  and the second time by burning the wood he chopped. 
A farmer’s work is never done.
Spring - manuring,  plowing,  harrowing,  planting.
Summer - caring,  weeding,  haying.
Autumn - harvesting,  plowing,  harrowing,  late fall root plant harvest,  food preservation,  wood chopping and gathering for winter fuel  (as we see Roy doing in today’s picture).
Winter - repairs and odd jobs.
Throughout the year:  Daily meal preparation and cooking,  spinning,  candle-making,   mending,  teaching…
Life on a farm was seasonal,  and all family members,  from the tiniest child to the oldest of the elders,  were on deck to help whenever and wherever needed.
It was watching the workers at the Daggett House all those years ago that initially brought my history books to life for me and helped to charge my interest in living history.

In the kitchen garden -
photo taken by Loretta Tester

Daggett House continued to get more and more visitors so we decided to move on to the next stop.
We had hoped to visit the 1620 Cotswold Cottage group,  but it was locked.
During Holiday Nights it hosts American WWII soldiers  (reenactors)  and their collectibles were already inside.  Best to keep it locked up rather than take chances,  I suppose.

One of these times we'll have to take a horse & carriage ride...

With the 1789-90 McGuffey Birthplace cabin still a part of our own personal
timeline - 18th century - we knew it was a must stop.

Looks like Mrs.  McGuffey has a few items harvested from her kitchen garden. 

I never really noticed the chamber pot beneath the bed before,  for some reason.
I did this time,  and you get to enjoy it,  too!

Martha-Mary Chapel!
This church is not an original but was based on New England chapels
of the 18th century.
Henry Ford had it built in Greenfield Village in 1929.

You can make out Preacher Gerring as he makes his way to the Martha-Mary Chapel.
Henry and Clara Bryant Ford dedicated a series of churches,  the Martha-Mary Chapels,  as a perpetual tribute to their mothers,  Mary Ford and Martha Bryant.  The Fords built seven of these:  The first at Greenfield Village,  Michigan,  was completed in 1929.  The others,  completed in the 1930s,  were located in Dearborn,  Michigan  (site of the Fords' Fair Lane estate);  Sudbury,  Massachusetts;  two in Richmond Hill,  Georgia  (the Fords' winter home);  Macon,  Michigan;  and Willow Run Air Force Plant located between Ypsilanti Township and Belleville,  Michigan.

I have commented numerous times before that the Eagle Tavern,  though built in 1831,  could easily pass for a tavern built decades earlier,  during America's Revolutionary War era. 
And here is my proof:
Our little colonial group sauntering up to the 1831 Eagle Tavern.
The Raleigh Tavern in Colonial Williamsburg, with its latest restoration addition
 - a porch - you can compare it to the picture of the Eagle Tavern.
Close.  Very,  very close.
Above photo of the Raleigh Tavern courtesy of Susan McCall
I always enjoy eating at the Eagle Tavern.  Lately I've been getting their beef roast,  and it tastes as if my own mother made it - it's that  good!
So on this Black Friday four of us enjoyed a festive meal.
Unfortunately,  Charlotte had to leave on a family emergency.
But we did take a few more posed pictures of those of us who remained.

Lynn Anderson took this excellent shot of my hat and the menu...
'neath the flicker of a candle flame.

Another group shot:
Many thanks to the customer who willingly snapped this photo.

And yet another - all inside the Eagle Tavern.
This picture was taken in the original tavern kitchen,  and that's the hearth the food in those days long passed was cooked upon that you see behind us.

After we left the tavern,  Norm had to take his leave,  so the rest of us made our way to the future...at least,  it was the future from our point of view.
I have a  "thing"  for gristmills.
This is the Loranger Gristmill,  built in 1832.  Like the Eagle Tavern,  there was little change
in these mills from the later 18th century through much of the 19th century
As was done in so many of my early Greenfield Village visits,  I learned the the importance of gristmills in the old days.  This was not the history taught in schools,  so how else would I even know about such a thing if it were not for this historic Village?
If you are interested in gristmills - and this Loranger Gristmill in particular -
please click HERE

We did stop at the Firestone Farm,  depicting the year 1885.
Oh...only about a hundred years past our time...
but Larissa works there so we paid a visit.

There's Larissa and a few other workers celebrating
an 1880s Thanksgiving.

One more visit to the cold room in the cellar.
Everything seen here was grown on the farm,  including the salted meat
hanging from the rafters  (from their slaughtered pigs).

And then there were three...
This is an acceptable background for us.
This was a fine fine day,  though I always get a mite sad on the last daytime visit.  I have made weekly visits for most of this year and it has been such a pleasure.  Now I have to wait until mid-April,  though I will be attending at least once during Holiday Nights.
I am so glad I have made this last day-visit a period dress tradition.  It's the perfect way to close out the year.
Some of us take our dressing period seriously upon attending the Village.  I believe no matter where we go,  even if it is an unofficial event such as our visits to Greenfield Village,  we should always try to  "up our game,"  whether through clothing,  accessories,  or location.  You see,  being in my period colonial clothing with friends to visit such a historic place...well,  it really is difficult to explain the feeling I get...you see,  to me it's like having the spirits within the walls of the historic houses immersing within me - not in a ghostly eerie evil way...just in an...immersive  way;  one can almost feel  the past. 
I often hear the term  "if these walls could talk"...and yet,  they do - - - the connection is there.  And researching the past beyond the schoolbooks,  common history books,  and the horrible Facebook memes that some people actually believe as fact,  will connect you to the past in ways you'd never thought you'd experience.
That's why it is important to me to always do and dress my best when it comes to history - otherwise one is nothing more than a person wearing a costume.
That's kind of what it's like for me to visit Greenfield Village  (or the frontier cabin)  the way I do. 
And my blog postings are my diary of my time-travel adventures.

Until next time,  see you in time.


To read on other Greenfield Village homes and structures I researched,  please click the following links:

Ackley Covered Bridge 1832
At one time, covered bridges were commonplace. Not so much anymore. But Greenfield Village has one from 1832.

Daggett House  (part one)
Learn about the 18th century house and the family who lived there.

Daggett House  (part two)
This concentrates more on the everyday life of the 18th century Daggett family,  including ledger entries.

Doc Howard's Office - The World of a 19th century Doctor
It's 1850 and you're sick.  Who are you going to call on?  Why,  good ol'  Doc Howard,  of course!

It's always 1850 at the Eagle Tavern.  This post is filled with pictures and history of this marvelously restored piece of Michigan's past.

~Edison Posts:
Tales of Everyday Life in Menlo Park (or Francis Jehl: A Young Boy's Experience Working at Menlo Park)
Menlo Park is brought to life by one who was there. First-hand accounts.

Follow the route that Thomas Edison took as he rode and worked on the rails in the early 1860s,  including the Smiths Creek Depot.
 
The oldest windmill on Cape Cod is not on cape Cod - - it's in Michigan!
Lots of interesting things about this wonderful piece of Americana from 1633.

Firestone Farm at Greenfield Village
Learn about the boyhood home of Harvey Firestone, the tire magnate.

The Giddings House
Revolutionary War and possible George Washington ties are within the hallowed walls of this beautiful stately colonial home.

Recreating this store to its 1880s appearance was extremely important as the overall goal,  and so accurately reproduced items were needed to accomplish the end result,  for many original objects were rare or too fragile,  with some being in too poor condition.  

Research has shown that,  as a young attorney,  Abraham Lincoln once practiced law in this walnut clapboard building.  I think this post will make you realize just how close to history you actually are when you step inside.

Built in the late 18th century,  with some slight modifications from its original style,  this is one of the oldest original American log cabins still in existence.  

Mills  
These buildings were once a part of everyday life in American villages and towns and cities - including the Gunsolly Carding Mill,  the Loranger Gristmill,  Farris Windmill,  Hanks Silk Mill,  Cider Mill,  and the Spofford and the Tripps Saw Mills,  all in one post!

Noah Webster House
A quick overview of the life of this fascinating but forgotten Founding Father whose home, which was nearly razed for a parking lot, is now located in Greenfield Village.

The Plympton House
This house,  with its long history  (including American Indians)  has close ties to Paul Revere himself!

Preserving History
Henry Ford did more for preserving everyday life of the 18th and 19th centuries than anyone else! Here's proof.

Richart Carriage Shop
This building was much more than a carriage shop in the 19th century!

And for some haunted fun, 
Ghosts of Greenfield Village
Yep - real hauntings take place in this historic Village.

Yes,  some of the structures that now sit inside Greenfield Village have connections to America's fight for Independence.

Virtually each structure inside Greenfield Village has come from another location,  I took on a project to seek out the original locations of many of the more localized buildings and visited where they first were built and walked that hallowed ground.

Homes that played a role in our country's fight for Independence.

This post is part history and part family history:  a blending of the two.  And one way to show how you can place your ancestors in their time.

Saving Americana - that's what Henry Ford did - and in doing so he showed everyone the importance of  everyday life history.  This is how it all began.   

Nothing is placed randomly inside the structures at Greenfield Village.  The curators carefully consider each and every object before allowing it to become part of the site. 
And the Clothing Studio at The Henry Ford covers over 250 years of fashion  (from 1760 onward)  and is the  premier museum costume shop in the country.


I've mentioned  "upping our game"  throughout this post.  This is how we are doing it
To read about our 2020 autumn excursion at the cabin,  click HERE
To read about our 2021 wintertime excursion at the cabin,  click HERE
To read about our 2021 springtime excursion at the cabin,  click HERE
To read about our 2021 summertime excursion at the cabin,  click HERE
To read about our 2021 summer harvesting of the flax at the cabin,  click HERE
To read about our 2021 autumn excursion making candles at the cabin,  click HERE
To read about our 2022 winter excursion at the cabin,  please click HERE
To read about our 2022 spring excursion at the cabin,  please click HERE
To read about our 2022 summer excursion at the cabin,  please click HERE
To read about our 2022 autumn excursion at the cabin  (Pioneer Day),  please click HERE
To read about our 2023 winter excursion at the cabin - Candlemas,  please click HERE
To read about our 2023 spring excursion at the cabin - Rogation Sunday,  please click HERE
To read about our 2023 late spring - more planting at the cabin  (& early farming history),  click HERE
To read about the 2023 early summer weeding at the cabin  (and a timeline event),  please click HERE
To read about our 2023 summer excursion at the cabin  (Lammas Day),  please click HERE
To read about our 2032 Pioneer Day excursion at the cabin,  please click HERE
To read about our 2023 autumn harvest Thanksgiving at the cabin,  please click HERE


Many took part in taking such terrific images:
Lynn Anderson
Charlotte Bauer
Kathy Hall Brock
Norm Gerring
Chris Robey
Loretta Tester

























































































.......................................

4 comments:

Lady Locust said...

Well if nobody else says so, "I am grateful for your obsession." 😊 I have been absent so have some catching up to do. But I do have a question. Where do you find writings from the 1700's? I know at times one writing sites another and it's a great chain. I've dug those rabbit holes before. You listed some books a while back, uh-hem so are now in part responsible for the weight of my bookshelves. But the personal writings like journals and letters are so valuable to those wanting to know what the everyday life was like. Anyhoo, if you have any direction or "search words" to offer, I'd appreciate it.
Also, I get what you mean (or at least think I do) about the feeling of being at home in the past. We don't have any buildings that old out here, but when I end up in an "old" home, it's like I'm comfortable to the bones.
Blessings~

Historical Ken said...

Thank you Lady Locust, for your kind words.
I very much appreciate it.
Oftentimes I'll find quotes mixed into books Like "Our Own Snug Fireside." Then I have actual diaries/journals such as "The Diary Of Matthew Patten Of Bedford, N H" or snippets from other books like "The Seasonal Hearth." I try to notate quotes from diaries or letters when I read the books so I know where to go to find them, if that makes sense.
And, yep, them rabbit holes can get pretty deep - I love bibliographies and Amazon!

Lady Locust said...

Thank you again. Just ordered the diary and put the other two on my wish-list. 😊 Received a couple books for Christmas also so have my winter reading cut out for me.
Happy New Year to you and yours.

Historical Ken said...

I'm so glad! You'll love 'em!
Please let me know what you think - - I find that books like these will mentally transport me to their time.