Friday, August 30, 2024

Jackson Civil War Muster 2024: Just Like the Old Days in More Ways Than One

I keep saying it,  but it is repeated often because it's true,  and I'm excited:
Jackson Civil War Muster is BACK!

Of any Midwest Civil War reenactment,  the Jackson  (Michigan)  Civil War Muster has always been the one to not miss.
My first Jackson event was in 2004,  and I was blown away by the sheer size of it.  Never before had I seen so many reenactors in one place.  It seemed I was transported through time.
The event grew for the following decade.  It grew beyond expectations.
Then,  after the 150th anniversary of the War,  the bottom seemed to have dropped out.  I stuck with the event through 2016,  and by 2017 the venue changed and I stopped going altogether.  However,  in 2022 I returned,  for Jackson returned to its original location.  But,  rather than spending the entire weekend camping as we used to do,  I began to day-trip it.  And I do continue to do so at present time.
2022 saw an upswing in both reenactors as well as visitors.  2023 saw an even greater upswing.
This year of 2024 was the best in probably a decade!
That makes me happy.
And,  of course,  I brought along my camera and spent a fine Sunday roaming and visiting and participating as best as I could.
Here is how it went:
The 2024 program features Amelia,  from the 21st Michigan,  as the
cover girl!

Robert Beech,  tin typist,  was on hand for period photographs.
It wasn't just reenactors who wanted their images captured - this is quite a souvenir!

Patrick Kent and...
...Jason Monarch.

Meanwhile,  at the Assenmacher tent:
Mrs.  Lamkin preparing herself for the day...

...as her husband looks on...

Jenna and Karen
all the way from Wisconsin!

"Escape into history through movies,  documentaries,  docudramas,  and how-tos! 
Find your own way to enjoy history!"
I,  myself,  am a subscriber,  and very much enjoy the history shorts most of all.

I thought the picket fence was a super idea!
If I still camped & set up a tent,  I would probably do something similar.

Crossing the stream without falling in!

This year, Jackson began guided tours of the event!  The guided tour showcased the different aspects the Muster had to offer,  including special presentations,  and a walk around the entire site. This was held once per day.
In this photo we see Vickie St.  John speaking to one of the tour groups.
I feel this is a great addition!

These ladies are simply wonderful in the 1860s fashions~
In fact - - - - - - - - 
Godey's Lady's Book,  alternatively known as Godey's Magazine and Lady's Book,  was an American women's magazine that was published in Philadelphia from 1830 to 1878.  It was the most widely circulated magazine in the period before the Civil War.  Its circulation rose from 70,000 in the 1840s to 150,000 in 1860.  In the 1860s Godey's considered itself the  "queen of monthlies".  After several changes,  it ceased publication in 1896.
(from Wikipedia)
A  "Godey's"  pose~
Godey's Lady's Book influenced women's tastes and position in society.  
Today,  when we want to be updated on what the current fashion trend is,  you look to social media,  celebrities,  influencers,  popular fashion designers,  as well as big fashion magazines like Vogue.  Prior to the internet and social media,  women got their up-to-date fashion news from weekly and monthly magazines or catalogs,  such as Harper's Bazaar,  Women's Wear Daily,  the Delineater,  McCalls,  Butterick,  Sears & Roebuck,  and others.  Going back even further,  prior to the 1870s,  you had Godey's Lady's Book - arguably the most popular and well known of the United States'  fashion sources in the 19th century.
(from THIS site)
The magazine was edited by Sarah Josepha Hale,  and was innovative for its time because it was not only edited by a woman,  but had a mostly female workforce.

The coffee man!

Jefferson Davis and Varina Davis.

President Lincoln

Fashion Show with your host,  Varina Davis  (aka Holly Ray)
Mrs.  St.  John

Sandy is here with Holly.

The Alexanders in their  'go-to-meetin'  clothes.

I,  too,  was a fashionista!
I cannot compete in the high class and beautiful fashions of the
Alexanders and the others,  so I am in a bit of a different league as a
farmer.  Besides,  I feel most comfortable in my work clothes!

There were more sutlers this year than I've seen in a while,  including Fall Creek.

Everyone was very excited at the return of  Little John's Root Beer!

Talkin'  'bout time travel!
Here we have 1860s Larissa and Cyndi  (with Larissa's son,  Zane).
And only a week earlier,  both ladies were in the 1940s!
(Thank you, Cyndi,  for these two photos!)

Gary Alexander plays a few period tunes for the visiting public.

These two young girls also played period music.
It was wonderful to hear so much music of the era being performed throughout the
entire area.

The 73rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment Brass Band

The Cavalry was there in force!

Artillery 
The infantry were on the other side of the battlefield,  so I didn't get any shots of them.
Probably my favorite picture ~~~
Sadly,  I only made it for the Sunday of the event,  but I still had a very good time.  My sciatica and lower back issues somewhat prevented me from walking the distance,  though I'll also blame the heat and humidity,  for it was pretty scorching.
My son,  Robbie,  with  "Cousin Charlie."

It's events like Jackson  (and Charlton Park)  that reminds me how great reenacting the Civil War period in American history can be.  And when you get someone like Maurice Imhoff heading it up - a young guy who knows his stuff,  has vision with his mind,  heart,  soul,  with his feet firmly planted in actual researched history and not in today's modern version of the past,  and is a reenactor himself - it keeps us all revitalized and excited and glad we didn't drop out of the hobby.
Yes,  yes,  the Revolutionary War period is still my favorite,  but that doesn't mean that Civil War reenacting isn't still in my blood!
However,  there was another reenactment going on this very same weekend:  The Grand Encampment at Fort Meigs in Ohio.
"Become immersed in the sights and sounds of the American Revolution!"
(Picture taken by Norman Gerring)
Military & battle demonstrations
An interactive ambush
Hands on activities for kids
Live music fife and drum concerts
Colonial Farming
A historic Tavern
Army bread & baking
Coffee in the colonies
Textile production
The 18th century duel
Since there are so many reenactors who cross numerous times lines:
World War II
Civil War
War of 1812
Revolutionary War
French & Indian War
methinks the heads of reenactment events should get together and actually plan reenactments amongst the different periods.  
That's my opinion,  at least.

Until next time,  see you in time.
A few good folks from Waterloo - Arlene & Ron - showed up to the Jackson Civil War event to promote Historic Waterloo Farm and a few upcoming events-----Do you see the signs advertising Pioneer Day and Christmas on the Farm?
I plan,  God willing,  to participate at both!

Thanks to Holly Ray,  Robert Beech,  and Ian Kushnir for allowing me to use a few of their photos as well.













































_____----____

No comments: