Thursday, April 1, 2021

Living History Photo Challenge for the Month of March 2021

Well...this is it - - the last of my monthly Daily Living History Photo Challenge collection of pictures.  I began on March 27,  2020,  and,  as of this posting,  covered 370 days.
I have enjoyed posting the pictures with the addition of  bits of social life history.  I have been able to reach so many people who are not reenactors or even necessarily history buffs,  but found an interest in our nation's past - not by hearing names and dates,  but by relating to the supplemental everyday life material that went along with each picture posted. 
Probably what I got most out of this project was realizing all of the different things I did.  I found the threads of present and past,  warp and weft,  weaving together until,  before I knew it,  I was immersed in the past - 1770 and 1860s - and was able to utilize,  pretty equally,  both eras.
And it takes more than clothing to tell stories of the past...yes,  it certainly does.
I also realized how much I do love our American history.
And there is so much to our past.  For every good and for every bad there is a story to be told.  And,  contrary to popular belief,  especially from the  "woke"  crowd of today,  there is a lot more good and positive than they would like you to believe.  But for the good and the bad,  there is always a large gray area that tends to be ignored by too many.

So,  as I wrote on my Facebook page on March 1st:
March is now upon us,  and the 27th of this month will be the one year mark I've been doing my daily Living History Photo.
I think a year is enough,  don't you?  Especially since bonafide reenactments are scheduled to begin this spring - almost getting us back to our normal.  That being said,  then,  this will be my last month to do this photo series. 
So,  for one last month:  to change up the news feed and help get away from all of the harsh and getting harsher doom & gloom of our modern time,  here is my daily Living History Photo - March 1:  Day 340----
March 1
In 2019 I put together a Patriot's Day Remembrance reenactment commemorating and celebrating the victorious Battle of Lexington & Concord:  the beginning of the
Revolutionary War.  If you remember your history,  the original battle took place on
April 19,  1775.  We are planning to have this event be an annual and to take us through
to at least the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 2026 - the sestercentennial.  Hopefully for years after that.
Unfortunately,  we could not have the event last year.  However,  we will be back this year on Sunday April 18 at Mill Race Village in Northville,  Michigan.
Reenactors who want to take part are welcome to contact me - we are looking for
American militia  (ca 1775)  and British Regulars.
*Unfortunately,  a few days after this was posted,  the Patriot's Day event had been cancelled again.  I suppose it's just too soon so we'll have to wait yet another year.


A couple days ago  (last month in this blog)  I posted about the Eagle Tavern in Clinton,  Michigan being the first tavern stop on the road west from Detroit.
Well,  I was wrong---it was actually the 2nd stop;  the first one was the Sheldon Inn,  established in 1825 at Sheldon Corners  (now Canton) right there on US 12 - the Chicago Road.  The next stop was the Eagle Tavern,  built in 1831,  in Clinton,  Michigan.  The stop following  "the Eagle"  was Walker Tavern,  located about 13 miles further west on the same road in what is now known as the Irish Hills.  And that's where our picture for today was taken. 
March 2
Walker Tavern was built about a year after Eagle Tavern,  in 1832.  During this time a stagecoach ride from Detroit to Chicago was a long and arduous seven to ten-day trip minimum,  depending on the conditions of the road and the weather.  Early on,  the roads were full of ruts,  bogs,  and tree stumps.  A stagecoach driver's goal was to travel fifteen to thirty miles in a day - sometimes more,  if they could -  but many times there were complications.  As one traveler in the 1830's pointed out,  "As soon as we had entered the woods,  the roads became as bad as,  I suppose,  roads ever are.  Something snapped,  and the driver cried out that we were  'broke to bits.' "
There is a story told of a stage that left the Eagle Tavern heading west one morning loaded with passengers.  The road was very muddy and the coach had managed to travel only a mile from  "the Eagle."  The passengers walked back to the inn to spend the night,  and early the next morning returned to the coach.  During the second day it got three miles from where the tavern stood.  Again,  the passengers returned to the Eagle Tavern to spend the night.  On the third day the coach must have reached the next stop,  for the passengers did not return. 
That next tavern would have been Walker Tavern,  which,  now restored to its 19th century appearance,  still sits in its original location.
The photos you see here were taken of members of the 21st Michigan during a Civil War reenactment about a decade ago.
There is nothing like reenacting around original historic buildings still on the land in which it was built.  It is unfortunate that the Civil War event no longer takes place here,  for this was one of the best.


March 3 
Living history and reenacting are two different parts of the same whole.  Living history is,  by definition,  the recreation of living conditions of the past and can take place at any historical location,  and may or may not include immersion.  Reenacting,  also by definition,  is to replay a historical event,  such as a well-known battle like Lexington & Concord or an important action of the past,  for instance,  the midnight ride of Paul Revere from April 18,  1775. 
I practice both reenacting and living history,  for both play an important role in this hobby,  and not one is placed above or below the other. 
It's a preference that can be changed at will or event.  
Often times,  by the way,   I will do living history with immersion,  which is an amazing experience in itself.  
The folks you see me with in these two photos - Larissa,  Charlotte,  and Rebecca  in the first shot  (winter),  and Larissa,  Jackie,  Tony,  Charlotte,  Jennifer,  and young EJ in the 2nd pic  (fall) - are some of the finest living historians/reenactors I have the pleasure to travel through time with. 
We take our history seriously,  going beyond the average history book.  We dig deep into diaries,  journals,  and letters to confirm the well-known information  (don't always believe your teacher,  professor,  or facebook memes),  as well as note the small nuances that were once so common that they were hardly written about but are now nearly forgotten.
Together we throw our collective historical knowledge into the big ol' pot,  and what comes out is what can only be described as the closest to time travel that can be experienced.  I am so very thankful for each who willingly takes this journey with me.
By the way,  these two photos - top in the winter and bottom in the fall - were taken at the frontier cabin at Waterloo Farm as we depicted farm life in 1771.
More living history at the cabin to come...


March 4
And yet another picture about Michigan taverns of the mid-19th century,  taken at Walker Tavern in Michigan's Irish Hills;  I am portraying a postmaster giving the young lady her letter from her beau,  and she was kind enough to allow me to read it.
The taverns were not just for out-of-town travelers - - - the local patrons from the village would also use the tavern for relaxing,   socializing,  and gossiping,  as well as for hearing news from the outside world.  Oftentimes during the Civil War,  the receiver of a letter from a son,  husband,  or beau off fighting in the south would read the letter aloud for all patrons to hear news written therein,  perhaps first-hand accounts of a battle in which the writer survived.  It's these letters that have been saved for over 150 years that give us the historical knowledge of life during 1860s wartime. 
The foods that tavern keepers offered their traveling patrons during the mid-19th century,  came from local farms and grew wild in the countryside,  and tavern menus varied tremendously with the seasons.  Fresh fruits and vegetables were available only at harvest time,  and winter meals relied heavily on foods preserved by salting or drying.
People of all types and classes mixed together in taverns.  Tavern patrons ate at a common table,  slept in common bedrooms,  and socialized in common rooms.  There was little privacy.  
I hope that one day the Civil War reenactment at Walker Tavern will return.  It's a great venue for immersion/living history.


March 5 - 251st Anniversary of the Boston Massacre
Today is the 251st anniversary of The Bloody Massacre on King Street in Boston  (aka The Boston Massacre),  and since I do not live anywhere near that historic city,  this is the best I could do for a colonial scene locally:  a photograph of me in my 1770s attire in early spring moving up to one home from the colonial period,  the Plympton House,  while we see another,  the Daggett House,  in the background.  It makes for a scene ripped out of the past.
It is unfortunate that so many who pertain to  "know history"  actually know very little.  But in my opinion,  anniversaries such as today's should be remembered.  The founding generation are my greatest heroes - truly an amazing people - and my collection of books to research them and their time is ever-growing.
By the way,  in the first comment below is a link to a concise article about the events leading up to and occurring on this date---March 5th---in 1770.


March 6
These two pictures were taken back in the days when my whole family reenacted.  And what fun we all had!  Now it is mainly me and Robbie who still find ourselves in the past.  Patty comes out every-so-often,  as does Rosalia and Miles.  Tommy has his own thing going with his growing family.
All is good and well,  but it certainly was a joyous time.


March 7
This photo was taken on the 4th of July a few years back.  Independence Day has moved up from being a long summer weekend to becoming 2nd only to Christmas for me in my list of favorite holidays,  for even though I may not always agree with current affairs - or even past occurrences - I am still a patriot. 
And this is why I enjoy spending that holiday immersed in the past,  whether at Greenfield Village or Mill Race Village or any other historic location,  for our founding fathers and mothers are my most cherished heroes.
What I like about this picture is that it is not posed;  it is almost as if one is peering through a window into another time...a time from 250 years ago.  Perhaps friends stopping for a moment to visit neighbors...maybe speaking about the news of the day,  as many tend to not do today.  You see,  for the most part,  with some exception,  speaking face-to-face is my favorite way to discuss current events,  for the vocal intonations and the facial expressions are seen and heard,  which can make a far greater impact and response than the written word on social media.
And,  chances are,  while speaking in person,  we will continue to remain cordial and friendly,  even though we may disagree.
Not always,  unfortunately,  but most of the time.
By the way,  in this picture the woman I am speaking to in the doorway,  Sharon,  is one of the most brilliant people I've had the pleasure to speak with when it comes to social 18th century history. Unfortunately,  she no longer works at Greenfield Village,  but I have learned much from her sharing her well-researched knowledge.


March 8
Robert Beech is an amazing wet plate and early film photographer and is well-known throughout the Civil War reenacting world.  This is one such likeness he took of 
a few of us in front of a 19th century house located along Officer's Row at 
Detroit's Historic Fort Wayne.
We all strive for that  "we are there"  moment during our reenactments,  and posing for a period photographer - and then seeing the outcome - really becomes  "one of those moments."  And so,  when doing the Civil War era there is rarely a better souvenir of your time in the past than an ambrotype or a tintype image.
Now if we could just sit for a painting during an 18th century reenactment (lol)!


March 9
Today,  for the first time in over a year,  Larissa and I did a historic colonial farm presentation for kids kindergarten through 6th grade at a Montessori school.  It felt so good and was so close to normalcy for us AND the kids who,  by the way,  were excellent and very respectful.  
We told them about what their everyday lives may had been like if they were children in 1771.  We brought numerous artifacts to show and speak on including eating utensils,  a trencher,  candles and accessories,  raw wool,  an axe,  quill & ink,  yoke & buckets,  and other such items.  
We also spoke of the clothing they would have worn,  chores they would have done,  and gave them an opportunity to ask questions as well.


March 10
On what was perhaps thee hottest day I ever wore period clothing -  4th of July,  2012 - a few of us attended the historic festivities at Greenfield Village to celebrate our Nation's birth.  And while there,  much of our time was spent at the Firestone Farm in particular,  where patriotism abounded.  The temperature hit 101 degrees that afternoon.
We are a hearty bunch!
But,  oh!  What a day we had!


March 11
I posted a picture very similar to this last July,  but since there were about a half-dozen taken taken that are like this,  I chose one slightly different.  And the reason I chose this is because it's of my grandkids and my daughter-in-law,  Samm,  and today is Samm's birthday.  Knowing that her father-in-law is a bit historical in nature,  to say the least,  and likes to present himself every-so-often as one from the past  (more often than not!  lol),  she still married into the family!
Yeah...we love her!
Happy Birthday Samm!
By the way,  this photo was taken at the Colonial/Revolutionary War reenactment 
up in Frankenmuth,  which takes place in July.


March 12
In this picture taken a few years ago,  me and my lovely wife are at the Port Sanilac Civil War reenactment.  Patty could wear anything and still look beautiful,  but for me she is most attractive in period clothing.  
Good news:  after a covid hiatus in 2020,  this event will be back here in 2021 and will take place during the weekend of August 7 & 8!  I am hoping that not too many reenactors have dropped out of the hobby over the past year.  Now is the time to get into your blue or gray or civilian attire and bring it on back. 
As for the rest of you who do not reenact,  we certainly would appreciate your support by coming out to visit us and see the past come alive!


March 13
This photo was taken last October during our 1770 fall harvest excursion at the frontier cabin at Waterloo Farm.  I was hunting for fowl---okay,  not really,  for I was only using black powder...but I was getting to know my 1760 musket.  
Not having much to do with muskets before,  my friend Tony was teaching me the ins-and-outs of the piece,  including proper cleaning procedures.  I am looking forward to more firings this coming season.


March 14
No,  I am not in this reenacting photo of the day,  but I did put it all together.  The original cartoon meme this picture is based on was not my idea,  but I did come up with the  "human"  version of it,  and I found the two perfect people to be the  "actors."


March 15
Participating in a reenactment is like nothing I've ever done before.   Even after nearly 20 years in the hobby,  as soon as I put on my period clothing,  the excitement is comparable to waking up on Christmas morning.  For a history geek like me to be able to  "live"  in the past,  even in day-by-day increments,  just satisfies the history in my soul.  So,  as you can probably guess,  this past year was mighty tough.  However,  I was able to attend one actual public-invited event in early October - Vermillion Creek,  located in rural mid-Michigan.  It was there they had a log cabin being used as a frontier trading post with an Indian encampment nearby.  
It's little extra things like this that bring the past to life in very cool ways and allow for wonderful teaching moments for the public.
This year,  along with Vermillion Creek,  other events will be returning,  such as Colonial Kensington,  Colonial Frankenmuth,  and hopefully encampments with the Lac Ste. Claire Voyageurs.  Also recently announced:  historic Fort Wayne in Detroit will be bringing back their colonial event in June.
Plus,  you know,  I do some on my own with a little help from my friends...


March 16
The 21st Michigan Civil War reenacting group is,  um,  rather large,  as you can see in this image taken on the side porch of the birthplace of Henry Ford.  We are pretty active and inclusive and open to finding different kinds of scenarios to help bring the past to life in interesting and accurate ways.  For all we've done at previous reenactments,  we continue to search and research and have numerous ideas in the works,  though it's doubtful much will be done this year due to the fact that most of us haven't seen each other since 2019...meaning it'll just be good to get together and visit.
Our group also has a rather large range of members,  from the youngsters to the oldsters,  which gives us leeway to do numerous different activities.  But what I like most about the 21st is that everyone,  at some time,  will participate in an activity we do,  whether it is fall harvest,  Christmas,  country fair time,  mourning,  some in 1st person,  some in immersion,  farm life,  Christian Commission,  period photography,  others sharing their period talents and well-researched knowledge...  
Now,  this is not to say that other groups don't do the same - they do.  But since the 21st is the group I belong to,  I suppose I have a right to shine a light on us.


March 17
There is something to be said about reenacting the colonial past...especially on the 4th of July - Independence Day,  which was when this picture of me,  my son Robbie,  and my friend Charlotte was taken.  
As reenactors,  we certainly live interesting lives,  don't we?  We can experience times past in ways most folks can't even imagine.  It's almost like we've jumped into our history books.  Some people think we are totally off our rocker because of our hobby!
I suppose, in a way,  we are.
Bonkers,  that is.
But then,  all the best people are! 
Of all the days in a calendar year,  I have found one of the best days to enjoy the time-travel experience is on July 4th.  You see,  Independence Day has become my second favorite holiday;  only Christmas garners more anticipation from me.  And the more I continue to research and study our Founding Fathers and their generation,  and the true facts about the birth of our Nation is found  (no,  it was not on July 2nd---'twas on the 4th as the date written on the Declaration itself states),  and especially studying the daily life in which those from the past lived,  the more excited I become.
As a living historian,  I take extreme pleasure in researching the past.  I learned decades ago not to trust any one book on history because it comes from a popular or controversial author or because it goes against the grain,  but to dig deeper---to read multiple studies,  current and past,  on a subject at hand,  and to seek out the bibliographies the authors have used.  And then seek out the bibliographies and sources from those earlier books.  In other words,  not only do I find multiple sources for my information,  but I go back generations for the bibliographies and sources as well.  I think that's why when I see simple,  usually false  "history"  statements on Facebook memes with all these  "likes"  as if they're saying,  "yup, yup,  I agree---this is right!"  because they prefer the myth over truth,  my blood boils. 
Ahhh...but that's just how I and numerous others in this hobby  "do history."
Always learning...


March 18
One of the little  "extras"  Greenfield Village would give to the reenactors during Civil War Remembrance Weekend was a Grand Ball.  It was a  "no public allowed"  ball - only for period-dress reenactors.  Held inside Lovett Hall during Civil War Remembrance,  a good many of us reenactors would wear our finest clothing,  many times being our Sunday best,  and quite often the ladies would make special ball gowns based on those from the 1860s.  The large group would dance the evening away to the sound of a string band playing period dance music and teaching the latest steps.  We danced contra dances,  The Virginia Reel,  The Spanish Dance,  and quadrilles to such songs as Jenny Lind,  Camptown Races, Road to Boston,  and Sir Robert de Coverly,  among others. 
It was another view of the past,  and a highlight for all who attended.
If you look below,  you can click on the link of a video I made of the Grand March. 



March 19
Pictures like you see here are the kind I like the best,  for it gives the impression of peering into the past to see life as once lived.  
We tend not to think of those who lived 250 years ago as regular everyday people;  instead,  when we hear of the 1770s our minds seem to head in the direction of the Founding Fathers such as Washington,  Adams,  Franklin,  and Jefferson.  And that's a good thing,  I suppose.  But it was the hardworking everyday people - the farmers,  the brickmakers,  the coopers,  the silversmiths,  the printers - who made this country what it is.  It was the men on the lines - militia and minutemen - who fought and won the war ultimately.  And it was the women who 
kept the household in check,  fed,  clothed,  and healthy.
History is so much more than what the school history books tell us - it is more than 
war and politicians.  It is the everyday people.  
Like us.  
In the picture here,  walking along a road from the 18th century,  we see perhaps a blacksmith,  a housewright  (when he's not in the 1st Pennsylvania regiment),  and possibly a chandler - all necessary to the times in which they lived.
This is what is my hope for members of Citizens of the American Colonies living history group - to have people representing everyday life of a time long past.  Everyday people.


March 20
Living history at Charlton Park:
I've been privileged to have had the opportunity to utilize this 1850s home as my home during the Charlton Park Civil War reenactment,  and in doing so I have put together an 1860s family.  My requirement for those who participate is to get into the 1st person/immersion mode.  
The background for the picture posted here,  this was the day when soldiers came and requisitioned our house.  They entered without my approval,  took our food,  again,  without our approval,  and then,  after about 45 minutes of being terrorized while the soldiers went through our cupboards and belongings and not knowing if we would be shot or what damage they may do,  the men left,  leaving us with little-to-nothing to eat.   
After the ordeal had ended,  Carrie,  who portrays Agnes our domestic servant,  truly was concerned over the amount of our food the soldiers had eaten.  Our turkey and ham and pies and bread were all but gone.  What were we going to eat now?  This was our dinner meal for the reenactment.
That's when I told her and everyone else who were a part of our little scenario that it was all planned out...that Patty & I actually set aside food for the soldiers to confiscate,  and the food for our own meal was well hidden.
Carrie and the rest had such a look of relief...and were pretty surprised how well we pulled this off.  But the looks on their faces - the fright and concern - was real. 
This was one of the best we'd done.  And the years following we continued in this 1st person/immersion manner with new and different scenarios anytime we reenact at Charlton Park's Sixberry House.  Hopefully we'll be back there again this year.


March 21
Springtime is here!
Preparing the 18th century kitchen garden:
The importance of the kitchen garden in the 18th century cannot be overstated.   The kitchen garden was where plants for use in the kitchen and homelife were planted and cultivated.  Though there would be vegetables,  herb seeds were among the first things to go into the ground,  and included plants used for medicinal purposes,  for the wife was also the family doctor.  Included in this section would be wormwood,  which was a purgative for stomach issues or worms,  tansy was used to stop bleeding and bruising,  St.  John's Wort,  used to help with wounds,  skin irritations,  and consumption,  and chamomile,  which was used,  same as it is today,  to make a calming tea.
Some plants,  such as garlic,  pennyroyal,  and even wormwood,  were used for pesticides to deter flies,  fleas,  and moths.  And dill,  fennel,  rosemary,  tansey,  thyme,  sorrel,  and basil were considered to be essential to any colonial garden.
Alongside the herbs,  this is what many colonials in the northern colonies and in the settlements on the frontier Great Lakes region planted in their kitchen gardens in April or May:  onions,  potatoes,  peas,  skirret,  lettuce,  leeks,  cabbage,  and asparagus.
Parsley,  skirret,  and sorrel were planted for use in salads  ("sallets")  as well as seasonings for meats that had been heavily salted for preservation.  Oh,  and by the way---they called it  "cold slaw,"  not  "cole slaw."
The family that did not have time to plant a garden,  especially those out on the frontier,  faced a winter of intense hardship.  John Reynolds and his family survived on very little while on the Pennsylvania frontier:  "Our bread was flour and water without salt or leaven,  baked in the ashes in thin cakes.  Bacon was our standing dish of meat.  Chocolate with sassafras or winter-green tea was our drink at meals.  Vegetables we had none."
The importance of the kitchen garden cannot be overstated.


March 22
Ten years ago I took part in a springtime lantern walk at the Troy Historical Museum.  I presented as a storekeep and a postmaster during the time of the Civil War.  I spoke on the importance of foodstuff for the soldiers and especially letter writing during that time,  and of how it was these letters that traveled back and forth from family to soldier to family that we have learned so much about the daily lives of both soldier and civilian,  for there are thousands of these letters from both Yankees and Confederates still around,  past down from generation to generation.  Lucky for the rest of us who enjoy deeper and more minute research that many have been printed in book form.  Even luckier for me that I have numerous of these letters books.
I often wonder what our descendants will know about us,  for hardly anyone writes letters anymore,  nor are diaries & journals kept.  It seems the only thing the future generations will know about us is what the media will tell them,  and we know just how awesomely wonderful and honest and fair a depiction the media can give  (*puke*).  Oh!  But there is Facebook,  so at least there will be photos of what we ate,  our pet animals,  and our brilliantly self-righteous political and current hot topic opinions.
Then again...aside from my journal,  my descendants won't know what to make of me! lol  ("Did great grandpa Ken think he lived 250 years before his time?").
How I would love to know what they'll think lolol.
However,  I have printed out many of the emails I've received...and have also kept a journal for many years.  So there's that.


March 23
Here I sit with one of our Nation's finest citizens,  Benjamin Franklin.  His inventions,  such as the Franklin Stove,  bifocals  (possibly more of an innovation rather than his invention - no proof either way),  and lightning rod,  are still in use today.  Well,  not so much his stove...lol
He also played a huge role in the formation of the United States as an independent nation,  including adding his own thoughts and views on the text of the Declaration of Independence.  In fact,  Benjamin Franklin is the only founding father to have signed all four of the key documents establishing the U.S.: the Declaration of Independence  (1776),  the Treaty of Alliance with France  (1778),  the Treaty of Paris establishing peace with Great Britain  (1783),  and the U.S. Constitution  (1787).
And yet,  he was a human with human faults and frailties.  He was also a man of his time and environment,  which,  in my opinion,  makes him an even greater person than he already is.
My friend Bob Stark,  who,  as you see,  portrays Franklin,  has studied the man like no other,  and through his research has busted the ever-popular myths so prevalent by too many who believe the media and Facebook memes - you know...the Facebook University scholars.
But I am here to say that Benjamin Franklin is worthy of all the praise that can be mustered.  
America's greatest citizen indeed.
And Mr.  Stark does a wonderful job in his portrayal.


Next up we have a four-photo living history story to tell:
March 24
Living history - - 
About a decade ago we did a Civil War reenactment in Ohio called Wildwood,  and during the event my son Robbie was asked to portray a wounded soldier...a 58 caliber bullet went through and destroyed his hand,  so the field doctor had no choice but to cut it off at the wrist.  To give it some look of authenticity,  the doctor put raw meat and bone down Robbie's sleeve,  having it look like a pretty mangled hand. 
Other soldiers then carried him to the field hospital area and placed him on the table where the doctor then administered anesthesia.  Chloroform was the anesthetic of choice in the 1860s because it was easily inhaled,  acted quickly,  and was seen to be more efficient than ether.
Robbie played the role beautifully,  moaning and groaning and sometimes even writhing in pain.  The expressions on the faces of the audience in the background,  in some cases,  is priceless.  I believe they got more than they bargained for upon seeing 1860s surgery.
Of course,  I was there to help comfort Robbie after the surgery was completed.
We have done scenarios similar to this at the different events we've taken part in over the years,  and it's always good to show some of the horrors of war,  lest people not realize that war of any era was as horrible as any war before or since.


March 25
A few times a year I portray Paul Revere for kid's birthday parties at the Plymouth Historical Museum.  This is known as  "A Night at the Museum Party" - based on the popular movies - and a number of us portray people from the past,  including Thomas Edison,  Amelia Bloomer,  Abraham Lincoln,  Annie Oakley,  soldiers of various wars,  and any number of other folks from the 18th through the 20th century.  What makes me happiest about this is the fact that these kids - usually anywhere from around eight through 12 years of age - actually want this sort of historical party.  I know this would have been a dream party for me.
Anyhow,  after the party ends,  oftentimes a few of us will go to the local Burger King fast food restaurant while still in our period clothing to get some quick food.  One particular evening it was Abigail Adams & Paul Revere  (me!)  and a Civil War soldier & Civil War female spy.
(Not sure if Paul Revere would be going anyplace where there is a king,  but...)
When we walked into the restaurant,  the workers just looked at us like  “who are you and what is going on?”  so I asked the girl at the register,  “Quickly!  What year is this?” 
Another girl fumbled for a moment then answered with,  “1934.” 
***Really?  1934??***
Okay...
So I went with it,  after all,  for the way we were dressed,  I suppose it was the future,  so I looked at Jim the Civil War soldier and exclaimed,  “We did it!  Our time travel experiment worked!” 
The workers just stared at us like we were off our rockers.
We then laughed and asked them if they knew what year we represented.  
Our hopes were that they saw two colonials and two Civil War folk. 
Again we heard  “1934?” 
As well as,  “1890?”
"1840?"
"1915?"
The workers just couldn’t get it right:
Then someone,  looking at Jim,  said,  "World War II?"
World War II---?!?!?!
Yikes! 
I then said,  "Look,  if you can't guess the period in history we're from,  we get free food."
The girl called her boss out.  He looked at us and said,  "Are you from 1550?"
*sigh*
Finally,  a frustrated customer yelled out at them,  “What school did you all go to?  Those two are from the Revolutionary War,  and the other two are from the Civil War!”
Well,  it's about time! 
We laughed about it - we had to,  for the lack of historical knowledge was befuddling - better to laugh than to cry,  right?.
And who knows,  maybe they even learned something. 
So...when they took my order and asked for my name,  I told them  (of course)  Paul Revere.  Now,  look at the name on the receipt pictured directly above.  
Ha!  You see it?
Yep!  There  "I"  am!
Who ever said history was boring never hung out with us!
My friend Lauren,  who was there with us,  commented:  "That was a great night!  It was so much fun being Abigail Adams while you were Paul Revere.  Its not every day you can play your hero or heroine." 


March 26
Something a little different for today:  welcome to 1915 and the start of the Kiwanis Club.  Kiwanis International was founded in 1915 by a group of businessmen in Detroit.  The organization was originally called the Supreme Lodge Benevolent Order of Brothers,  but changed its name to Kiwanis a year later.  The name  "Kiwanis"  was coined from an American Indian expression,  "Nunc Kee-wanis,"  which means,  "We trade."  In 1920,  the motto of Kiwanis became  “We Build.”  It remained the motto until 2005,  when members voted to change it to  “Serving the children of the world.” 
Pancakes, playgrounds and parades are among the service projects Kiwanis club members have offered for 100 years to serve the children of the world.
The Detroit club kicked off its century celebration with a book distribution for children,  a reception and display at the Detroit Historical Museum,  and a gala at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center.  I,  along with a number of others,  was a part of the Detroit Historical Museum celebration,  dressed in 1915 fashions and recreating that atmosphere in the very cool Streets of Old Detroit exhibit.
The early 20th century is not necessarily  "my"  era  (too modern for me!),  but I did have a fun time with friends.


March 27
1771:
In this image we were quite cold.  The hearth does not throw out the heat as depicted in movies and TV shows,  so the wearing of our outdoor cloaks and mitts and even hats while inside the cabin is common for most folk of our time.  However,  we also know that springtime is nigh,  and the annual rituals that will take place once the winter weather begins to permanently subside and not be as bitter is looked forward to as much in our time in 1771 as it will be in the 21st century,  I suspect.  All winter we had gathered near the hearth,  even with the little warmth it gave off,  and,  in this manner,  the women spun on the spinning wheel,  darned mittens,  and knitted stockings,  while I,  among other things,  continued the outdoor chores of  repairs of tools and fences,  chopping of logs,  and caring for the animals.  But with an air of spring about,  events such as maple sugaring can take place,  and thoughts for the majority of the populace in our 18th century America was the need to accomplish a successful growing season,  for Spring is considered a time for preparing for the rest of the year;  a time for a new beginning.  A time for leaving the winter darkness and cold behind to look toward sunny warmth and renewal...rebirth.  A good planting season can set the pace for the rest of the year.
And that's what we pray for this spring.
I welcome it.


March 28
This was such a fun day - - 
Back in 2013,  a few of us decided to throw on our 1860s clothing to spend a beautiful summer day at Crossroads Village up near Flint.  
Crossroads Village is an open-air museum,  along the lines of Greenfield Village,  though it is on a smaller scale.  The historic buildings here are all from the 19th century  (with one or two 20th century exceptions),  and are all from Michigan.  Crossroads first opened to help celebrate America's 200th birthday in 1976 - the bicentennial.  
The layout of this Village is excellent,  for it does depict a Michigan small town of over 100 years ago very well.  What they need to work on are the presenters inside most of the houses,  including their clothing and their information  (it gets me every time when I hear them state as a matter-of-fact that  "people didn't live very long back then,"  a myth that has been proven to be just that---a myth).   That being said,  the broom maker,  the miller at the gristmill,  and the men at the train all do an excellent job in their presentations.
But the over-all feel as one walks about the tree-lined wood-plank sidewalks along the dirt roads is being immersed in the time of our great and great great grandparents...especially if you are wearing their fashions.
I hope to go back this summer,  and bring along a few friends again.


March 29
Colonial Ken~
As a historic reenactor,  I do what I can to present history as best I can.  I mean,  unfortunately,  we cannot always utilize a historic structure - and some never have that opportunity.  That being said,  as reenactors we are also history teachers and try to educate the visiting public in a sort of  "show and tell"  manner.  To some in this hobby,  that is simply not good enough.  And yet,  it is,  for there are different levels of reenacting:
MAINSTREAMERS - use general-line clothing and accessories from sutler-row and usually exhibit a  "this is only a hobby"  mentality.  Mainstreamers are generally accurate in their outward presentations.
PROGRESSIVES – are reenactors that reach the stage when they begin making an all out effort  (within the limits of their finances and abilities)  to get things as right as possible.  They'll usually have an increased interest in doing Living History,  and a 1st Person mentality prevails.
HARDCORE - Many cases private events,  this is the big leagues where complete immersion is the goal.  Finances be d***ed,  there are no excuses to be made at this level.  Do it right or don't do it.
                                                                  So where do I fit in?
Depending on the situation,  I believe I am what I will call a progressive mainstreamer  (this is not  "only a hobby"  to me!)  to definite progressive;  if I am at a regular reenactment,  I become more of a teacher to the public in a more progressive-mainstream style,  whereas there are other times when I have opportunities to bring the past to life in fairly authentic strong progressive ways,  such when utilizing a house or the cabin.
As far as hardcore---well,  true hardcore will live it for days or perhaps a week,  and,  as much as I truly admire that,  for me that is the point where I believe my real life may prevent me from participating. 
So we do what we can with what we have and with our own abilities.  However,  one thing that all reenactors should agree on...research,  research,  research.  And then research again.
All three levels are important in this hobby,  meaning not one should be placed above the other.  Sometimes the uppity attitude between the three groups can be very disconcerting and disappointing.    


March 30
Throughout my time doing living history,  I have had the opportunities to meet many wonderfully and amazing people.  One such person is standing next to me in this photo taken at Greenfield Village,  Mr.  Anthony Lucas.  Tony is not a reenactor but an actor,  and he is also employed at Greenfield Village,  where you might see him in a multitude of roles,  from portraying and presenting as a slave at the Susquehanna House in the summertime to telling stories as Edgar Allen Poe during Hallowe'en at the Village to holiday storytelling during Holiday Nights at Christmastime.  But he's not an  "actor"  as in he sounds scripted.   No.  He is a natural at what he does and he brings you into his world in such a manner that you have a much better understanding of times past - good and bad.
Simply put,  he is one of the best.
By the way,  today,  March 30,  is his birthday.
Happy Birthday Tony! 


And then,  on the last day of the month I wrote:
For the final month - - and today the final day:  to change up the news feed and help get away from all of the harsh and getting harsher doom & gloom of our modern time,  here is my daily Living History Photo - March 31:  Day 370----
March 31
The first of today's photos is a sort of fantasy photograph - it sort of shows me heading back in time to 1770.   The picture is about 70% authentic and 30% photo-manipulation:  me and the three structures you see me walking toward - the Daggett House,  the Farris Windmill,  and the Plympton House - are all a part of the original picture. The distant background was taken from elsewhere rather than show the brick wall and parking lot as is per normal.  Think of it as me moving through the looking glass into the past.
The 2nd photo was taken while inside the Daggett House,  visiting friends.  
Immersed in 1770.
And the 3rd picture was taken at the end of the 1st actual bonafide public invited reenactment that I put together - Patriot's Day,  commemorating the beginning of the Revolutionary War.  In this photo you see the majority of reenactors who made it a success  (the Redcoats who participated had to leave early).
Yep---amazing times with,  God willing,  more to come.
Nostalgia,  as defined by Mr.  Webster's dictionary,  is described as a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life,  to one's home or homeland,  or to one's family and friends;  a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time.
That would mean nostalgia is a very personal experience then,  correct?  And according to the above definition,  only those who actually experienced the time period first-hand actually have the right to feel an attachment to it.
However,  I once read that  "Nostalgia is portable,"  meaning it can be possible to feel a sentimental attachment to a time period one did not personally live through.
Hmmm...but that's not according to definition - - how can that be?
If nostalgia truly is portable,  is it possible,  then,  that those of us who reenact a time long before we were even born,  via living history,  experience these same nostalgic emotions?   I mean,  it's pretty obvious that I was not around during the horse-and-carriage days,  and yet I still have a sort of nostalgic feeling for those times.
When one thinks about it,  if I added up each day I spend reenacting and include the times I visit open-air museums,  I am immersed in the past an awful lot,  aren't I?
With taking everything into account,  does this mean that I can actually feel a sort of Webster definition of nostalgia for times long past?  Real memories of a time before my time...?
In other words,  after reading what I wrote here,  and knowing that I,  and oftentimes my family,  have many of the same memories that the people of the 18th and 19th centuries had,  can we be nostalgic for that period in time?
Is nostalgia really portable?
To add to this thought,  maybe there is also a sense of longing as well...
Longing is defined as a strong,  persistent desire or craving,  especially for something unattainable or distant.
"Unattainable or distant?"
Because of what I just wrote in this post,  and if you've followed my reenacting picture of the day for this past year,  you can see that experiencing a time long past has not necessarily been unattainable or distant,  has it?
And maybe...just maybe...I do have a nostalgic longing for times before my own time,  even if it's only through living history experience,  because many memories can and would still be the same.
Maybe nostalgia really is  portable.
I have met so many wonderful people of all ages in this hobby - male and female -  and I am proud to call them my friends.  And many have become my close friends---best friends,  even.
I've also learned so much more about life in the past than I ever dreamed.  
As living historians,  most of us do our best to be as historically correct as we can,  and those in my Citizens of the American Colonies group and in the 21st Michigan try to make that gallant effort.  Not saying we are perfect,  but we are striving toward the period-correct goal.
Reenacting is not for everyone,  but I can tell you this:  it has made me a richer man.  It is a fulfilling hobby;  I become part of the history books I've read.  I became part of a unique club that helps keep history alive.  And I become part of the founding generation...and,  at times,  a part of the mid-Victorian era. 
I suppose most of you would not understand...
Thank you for all your kind words over the past year.
Now I ask my other friends in the hobby to please post a reenacting/living history picture with a small explanation on your own page and/or in the comments here.

And I received some wonderful comments following this last one:
Ken,  I have truly enjoyed the daily historical updates you have been posting.  Seeing Greenfield Village and other familiar locations brings back a lot of nice memories.  Thanks for providing both an informative and entertaining respite from the every day stresses of Covid.
Dave B.

I hope to see you in the past in the future. Hopefully the near future. ❤Meanwhile I owe you a large debt of gratitude for making a huge difference in my days of quarantine during Covid. I truly enjoy all your excellent posts and blogs.  After events I will continue to look forward to your photos.  I love reading your accounts of history.  Thank you for following your calling and sharing time with us all.
From Joyce V.

Ken,  I have genuinely enjoyed your chronicles.  Not only have they been informative but they have animated our shared past;  your narratives have given vitality to the past, you have made the study of history fun.
Well done.  Thanks.
Dave B.  (a different Dave B)

Thank you so much for the history lessons and beautiful pictures.  I learned more from you than I did in school.  I will miss the lessons.
Marie M.

I am truly honored.
And humbled.

..............................

And thus ends my year-long series of postings that began,  simply enough,  as a small sort of protest that began with - - -   
"Quarantined reenactor photo challenge:
Day 1 of 10..."
10 pictures...yeah...right...

With that,  until next time,  see you in time.  




To see my other photo-challenges as they have occurred month by month from April through December 2020,  please click 
HERE for February
HERE for January
HERE for December
HERE for November
HERE for October
HERE for September
HERE for August
HERE for July
HERE for June
HERE for May
HERE for April and Late March 2020































~   ~   ~

4 comments:

Olde Dame Holly said...

Please, please, compile your fantastic work of the past year into a book! Even an e-book although I think a large, beautifully bound book would better fit the value of your compilation! I had to laugh and laugh at the expressions at the "surgery" on the wounded soldier's hand, and the wild guesses as to the historical periods you were representing (1550??? LOL).

Historical Ken said...

Thank you so much, Dame Holly!
I appreciate it!

Lady Locust said...

Just wanted to add my X to the list of appreciative individuals. Though a late-comer to the show, I've enjoyed it greatly and as you stated, compare your knowledge with what I've formerly "learned" and dig a little deeper so to gain a better understanding. And one other tid-bit: I so agree that little things picked up in old script can lead to greater understanding like looking up a word to find it's part of a wagon wheel that would get wet. Then to question the significance and find the answer - so rewarding now, but common knowledge then.

Historical Ken said...

Very well stated, Lady Locust.