Monday, January 15, 2024

A Civil War Christmas and a Colonial 12th Night

“These are the shadows of the things that have been,”  said the Ghost.  “They will have no consciousness of us.”
As the words are spoken,  you pass through the wall of time,  and find yourself standing upon an open country road,  with fields on either hand.  The modern city had entirely vanished.  Not a vestige of it was to be seen.  The darkness and the mist had vanished with it,  though an overcast sky remained.
You are conscious of a thousand odors floating in the air,  each one connected with a thousand thoughts,  and hopes,  and joys,  and cares from a long ago distant time...
(Thanks to Charles Dickens for this inspiration)~

**  **  **  **

I reenact two time periods:  18th century  (the Revolutionary War Period of 1765-1789)
and
the mid-19th century  (the era of the American Civil War 1861-1865).
Therefore,  lucky for me,  often I have two Christmastide parties to attend!
In past years,  both parties - gatherings,  if you will - took place at the Eastpointe 1872 school house.  It is unfortunate that this year the school house is going through a few struggles and had to shut its doors until springtime.
So new locations had to be found.
For our Civil War party,  the Dearborn Historical Museum's McFadden Ross House ended up being the new location.
The McFadden Ross House was built in 1839 and was originally the powder magazine for the Detroit Arsenal at Dearbornville  (Dearborn's original name).  As built,  it was a relatively basic building with thick walls that can still be seen today.
Following the closure of the Arsenal in 1875,  the powder magazine building was sold to Nathaniel Ross who,  in 1882-1883,  began converting the structure into a farm house and homestead for his family.  Nearly 70 years later,  in 1950,  the house’s last inhabitant,  Mary Elizabeth  “Lizzie”  Ross,  willed the structure to the City of Dearborn to become part of the Dearborn Historical Museum.  After substantial renovations,  the McFadden-Ross House officially opened as a Museum in 1956.
The brick building is the McFadden Ross House,  and the smaller house in back there is the Gardner House.
The grounds of the Dearborn Historical Museum also cares for The Gardner House.
Originally located in the Scotch Settlement area of Dearborn Township,  the Gardner House was built in 1832 by Richard Gardner,  one of the original settlers of the area,  and he and his wife - with their ten children - lived in the relatively small house for many years. 
The Gardner House was originally restored by Henry Ford's team and brought over to his Greenfield Village.  
Andy & Sue move up to the front door of the 1832 Gardner House, 
once located in Greenfield Village.
Ford recounted his own personal memories of the Gardner House:  "This morning I was by a home called the Gardner Home,  where, as a boy,  I used to frequently stop when I was coming back from Detroit at a late hour.  Rather than go on to the house and disturb my father,  I would sleep with the Gardner boys.  This morning I was by that house because we plan on removing it to the historic village we are about to build."
The structure was in place inside Greenfield Village by June of 1929 and remained there until 1996 when it was removed to the premises of the Dearborn Historical Museum.  I've never read why it was removed,  but I am glad it is still being cared for and people can still tour it.  
I personally think it's a shame that this wonderful building,  which meant so much to Henry Ford,  was removed from Greenfield Village,  for it is a very fine example of an 1830s home,  something not seen very often.  Thank God that at least we can still visit this historic structure.
Another photo of Andy & Sue at the Gardner House.
It was closed up on the day of our party.

Though we were not able to go inside this historic home during the day of our party,  I do have photos I took a few years back when I visited and had a tour:
The kitchen

The hearth in the kitchen.

A portion of the master bed room.

So now we will enter the beautiful McFadden-Ross House where our party took place,  looking as it would have 150+ years ago:
Mrs.  St.  John admires the tree ornaments.
Vickie is a long-time reenactor who oftentimes likes to take it up
a notch or two
.  In fact,  just a week following this party,  she 
(along with friend Amanda) went ice skating at Campus Martious
in downtown Detroit...wearing their 1860s winter clothing---so cool!
I love this picture!
Vickie told me they received lots of  "wows"  from the other skaters 
who were dressed in more modern attire~
I bet they did~~~
Vickie,  this is awesome!
This should have been on the TV news!
Okay---back to the party - - - - - - 
This next photo leaped out at me as I sat on the sofa.  
It just seemed as if the 1860s came alive in an un-posed,  natural way.  In fact,  afterward I attempted to recreate it and improve on it by posing everyone,  but upon looking at all of those replicated pictures,  I felt that this,  the original un-posed snapshot,  turned out to be the best:
The husband and wife team of Roberto and Melody, 
with their three daughters.
Oftentimes there will be canned  (recorded)  music at such parties.  Sometimes that just can't be helped for whatever reason.  I love the fact that we have live music - just a simple fiddle and/or a piano,  just as parties in days of old.
Pearl played fiddle and Peter played piano - old-time carols and popular tunes of the day were played as the two dueted and Vickie & Amelia sang along.

In fact,  some were enticed to dance,  though there was little room.

We in the colonial cabin crew  also found ourselves in the 1860s together.
Jackie,  myself,  and Larissa.

I was joined by Larissa & Jackie as I sat on the sofa,  and we were acknowledging each other's cool period shoes.  So,  we snapped a picture of them.  Well,  others got in on the action and next thing you know,  my men's shoes were surrounded by all the lovely lady shoes.
It's interesting to see the different styles people wore 160 years ago.
Can you guess which are mine? lol
Yup---brand new and only worn once - purchased at the Jackson muster last year.

The food everyone brings - a potluck of sorts - is always enough to fill one's belly.
We had quite the feast to eat,  including ham,  mac & cheese,  mashed potatoes, 
green beans,  soup,  stuffing,  and desserts.

Mr.  &  Mrs.  Kushnir
Ian is President of the 21st Michigan.  
Carrie will often portray my domestic servant at certain reenactments.

Mr.  &  Mrs.  Lynch
They used to own and run the popular  "Dressmaker's Shop"  years back.
That is no longer,  so now they can enjoy reenacting.
We're very glad to have them as part of the membership of the 21st Michigan.

Mrs.  Assenmacher

Miss Amelia - our newest member~

Mr. Cary

The Pempeit Family

And,  as always,  we took a group picture.
I honestly enjoy and treasure my friendship with these good folk,  and I am so glad
to be fortunate enough to travel through time with them.
I really liked the new location for our Civil War Christmas party and would like to return to it next year,  for it definitely had a very strong and authentic Victorian look upon it,  though any more people showing,  especially ladies in hoop skirts,  and we could have had a rather uncomfortably tight fit.
A conundrum,  to be sure...
.  .

Well,  with the 1872 Eastpointe School House down for the winter,  I had to come up with a new location for my 18th century/Revolutionary War-era gathering as well.  My first thought was the 1835 Cady Inn,  located at Mill Race Village - the same historic village where we hold our Patriot's Day event  (Battles of Lexington & Concord)  in  April.
Luckily for me,  'twas available.
The Cady Inn may have been built in 1835,  but the look and feel of both its exterior 
(it's a saltbox/lean-to architecturally)  and interior has little difference to one from
the 18th century. 
Brian Dewey took these exterior shots of the Cady, 
well-showing its lean-to/saltbox style architecture.
I snapped a few interior photos:
This portion of the inn became the game room.

Here was where the majority of people sat and dined and entertained. 
This historical building has been moved only a few blocks from its original location to a quaint open-air museum known as  Millrace Village.
It was built about 1835,  and is one of the oldest structures in Northville.  It was moved to its Cady Street location sometime in the latter half of the 19th century,  and moved again to the Mill Race Village in 1987.  This saltbox-style building was not only a tavern but it’s believed to have been a stop on the underground railroad.

I am showing off my new scarf that my wife,  Patty,  made for me.
Once raw wool,  she skirted and combed and spun on her spinning wheel and finally
knitted it for me.
I learned that scarves have been around since about 1500 B.C.   However,  they were not like what I am wearing in this picture.  They were,  instead,  more of a fashionable wear...for women!  As far as I can find,  men wore cravats around their necks.  I have not been able to find any source showing men wearing scarves around their necks for warmth in the 18th century.
I suppose I am a trend setter then! lol
My wife made it out of love...and I certainly appreciate it.

I brought along the popular 18th century game called Shut The Box that I was gifted
with from someone who went to Colonial Williamsburg.
It proved to be a popular past time at the party as well.

Chess was also available to play.
Other games to play were playing cards,  dice,  and checkers.

We had a variety of delicious food there in which to dine upon:
Including a couple of pies!

Charlotte really gave the food table a festive look!
One of our very well-to-do guests brought a pineapple!

Preacher Gerring said a very nice prayer before we ate.
He researches the style of prayers that were said in those days of the 18th century.

I've been planning this party since early December,  and one never knows how it could all
turn out,  but for me it turned out very well.  So many friends joined in the fun.

Besides the games mentioned early,  such as Shut the Box,  Chess,  cards,  and checkers,  we also played old parlor games.  What was neat is that there were many who have not come to any of my Christmas gatherings before,  and it was great to see the participation during our parlor games and sing-a-longs.
As one example,  my particular favorite game for this time of year is the 12 Days of Christmas.  Yes,  that  12 Days of Christmas!  You see,  this game/song actually began as a memory parlor game,  not unlike the more modern electronic  "Simon"  from a few years back;  the rules of the game are simple:  each person took a turn recalling the verses the previous person(s) sung,  then they add a new verse to the end.  If a someone forgets a gift,  they had to pay a forfeit that typically involved kissing or giving the others a small gift - perhaps candy  (though we played it without the kiss or candy).  However,  nothing from the now popular Christmas song could be used;  no partridges in pear trees,  no maids a-milking or drummers drumming...we had to make up our own different  "gifts."  For instance,  eight deer a-running,  three puppies,  eleven stuffed mushrooms...and a candle in a tree  (lol).
You get the idea.
It's said this game may go back as far as the 1500s in England.
Did we have a good time - - lots of laughing!

Peter Kent was asked to play the fiddle.
He is an excellent musician.
He reenacts Civil War  (as you saw him play the piano at our
Civil War Christmas party),  WWI,  and WWII.
Methinks he needs to get in with us 18th century people
as well,  don't you?
We threw a Rev War-era jacket and cocked hat on him
so he would fit in.

He played a number of what was once the standard Christmas carols such as God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen,  the Sussex Carol,  I Saw Three Ships,  and Bring A Torch Jeannette Isabella.
Besides the Christmas carols of the period,  we also did a fun 12th Night song called  "Jolly Old Hawk."  For this carol there are 12 verses  (if that's what they're called in this type of song),  and a different person took a verse,  and,  for the most part it is not necessarily sung,  but shouted,  more or less:
 Jolly old hawk and his wings were grey
Sent to my love on the twelfth-most day

Twelve old bears and they was a-roaring

Eleven old mares and they was a-brawling

Ten old cocks crawled out in the morning

Nine old boars and they was a-quarreling

Jolly old hawk and his wings were grey
Sent to my love on the twelfth most day

Eight old bulls and they was a-blarring

Seven old calves and they ran before 'em

Six old cows and they was a-brawling

Five for a fifth and a fairy

Jolly old hawk and his wings were grey
Sent to my love on the twelfth most day

A four-footed pig and a three-thistle cock

And two little birds and a jolly old hawk

Jolly old hawk and his wings were grey
Now let us sing
Who's going to win the girl but me

This was the first time most here ever heard this so,  with that in mind,  here is a video taken at the party of us doing it:
I think we did pretty good!  Especially since there was no ale there!

Here is another video clip that I took just walking around and filming everyone:
We actually also sang The Gloucestershire Wassail,  which I hope to capture next year.  And I plan to do Jolly Old Hawk again next year...it helped to give that old style  "pub"  atmosphere.

 
Note the porringer at the forefront of the table here.
A porringer is a low bowl or dish that was commonly used for containing a wide variety of food and drinks such as bread,  vegetables,  soups/stews,  and milk. 
Both sides of the table are seen in these two pictures.

The always observant Larissa snapped this picture of our cloaks and hats.

We simply have to take a selfie!

Bob and his daughter Abby

Longtime reenactor,  Ken Roberts,  with Dr.  Bloodsworth  (Tom Bertrand).

Conversations abounded,  new friendships happened,  and old friends reconnected.
To me this was a times-past experience,  even without 1st person.

That's my son,  Robbie,  sitting with Brian Dewey & his wife,  Sue.

Brian and Rebecca~
Rebecca has come out to the cabin with us a few years back and,  I am pleased to say, 
she is joining us once again this winter.

Tony & Brian

Robbie & Rae

Jim & Ken

Let's imagine the conversation here...
"How do you do?  How does all at home?"
"My dear wife had planned to travel with me here only she felt unwell.
And,  some have catched cold but seem to be much mended."
"Aye,  I am heartily glad to hear this."  
"Pray,  good sir,  if I may be so bold as to ask why was tea dumped into the harbor in 
Bast'n on December last?"
"Aye.  I hear due to unwarranted taxes."
"Pray,  Mr.  Kula,  how has your beer fared this year?"
"Indeed my ale has fared well.  But I am afraid we shall make but little more 
unless I have help soon."
No,  we don't attempt 1st person,  though it would be an interesting project at a meeting sometime.

Guess the lady by her shoe!
Can you do it?

The only complaint I heard from anyone is that three hours was not enough time.  I mean,  we ate,  sang,  played games,  and had great conversations.  But not everyone could do all these things.  So perhaps next year I'll try and have it last a little longer - maybe an extra hour or so.
Peter the fiddler took our group picture - thank you sir!
Unfortunately,  Larry the Brewer left before we took it.
Thanks to all who came out - I hope everyone had a good time!

Just a snap before we go...

I am very lucky - blessed,  in fact - to be a part of two awesome reenacting groups from two different time periods.  I love the fact that we do strive for authenticity,  as best as we can,  and,  as my friend Mike used to say,  "take our fun seriously."

“Yule is come and Yule is gone
and we have feasted well;
so Jack must to his flail again
and Jenny to her wheel.” 

Until next time,  see you in time.



Besides my own photos,  many thanks to these fine photographers:
Andy Assenmacher
Charlotte Bauer
Brian Dewey
Larissa Fleishman
Ian Kushnir
Jennifer Long
Vickie St.  John
Knute Wales

































~~  ~~  ~~  ~~




2 comments:

patriotsparade1776 said...

The event keep getting more educational and fun all the time! Thanks, Ken!

Historical Ken said...

I appreciate the kind comment - - thank YOU!