Monday, January 8, 2024

A Year in the Life of a Living Historian - the Best of 2023

The best way to understand the way things were in the past is to research,  study,  then put yourselves in their shoes.   Do what they did...understand their lives and times from their environment,  not from our time. 
"If you could build up any muscle to be a historian,  I'd say it's the empathy muscle.  
Go out and do empathy exercises;  put yourself in their place."
David McCullough  (1933 - 2022  historian and historical author)
"We are tellers of stories,  we history folks.  Our decorative and utilitarian objects are not merely things,  but clues to tales of our past as a country.  We don't just purchase a lantern;  we investigate how it was used and the significance of the pattern of the piercing of the tin.
All of the looking back is also a looking forward as friends and families grow closer just as they would have in early America.  Make the right historical environment and let the situations and camaraderie unfold."
Tess Rosch - Publisher Early American Life Magazine

**   ~~  **

As I usually do this time of year,  I've been sort of reminiscing by spending these bland,  gray,  wet winter days going over photos and blog posts of all the time travel I have done during the last 12 months.  My own personal auld lang syne.  
Just as in previous years,  as I scroll through I am always somewhat surprised at how often I find myself wearing period clothing,  
So...let's go through...month by month...a year in the past...
Per usual,  the first months of the year is a much slower time in this hobby for us up in the cold north country.
But it'll pick up.

January
The year began with the 21st Michigan Civil War Christmas party.
This is always a fun time with our long-time reenacting friends.
Our Christmas parties are simply a bunch of friends gathered together,  enjoying each other's company,  laughing,  smiling,  and enjoying all that's good:  friendship.
January ~
My wife and I in our 1860s finest.
I remember wearing period clothing for the very first time so many years ago. 
It felt pretty odd initially,  but now I don't even think twice about it.

January ~
21st Michigan Christmas Party~
Quite a group!
We are friends and we are friends. 
Oftentimes we hang out together outside of the reenacting world...


February
It's usually late January or early February that a few of us will venture out and enjoy our time in the 18th century past.  It was on this day that I came up with the phrase  "experiencing our research"  while speaking philosophically to Larissa.  It just came out conversationally and we both looked at each and went,  "Hey!"  
So that is my sort of motto for what we do.
This is not pretending or acting - we're not kids playing house - this is the real deal...each and every cabin excursion is real.  That's why we do not plan out a scenario or anything like that.  We want it to remain real.  The only thing we plan is what food appropriate to the time and season we plan to have for our dinner meal and what chores/jobs we plan to do. 
February~  
Our winter jaunt to the frontier  (Waterloo)  Cabin.
Since this was close to February 2nd we celebrated the 18th century holiday known as Candlemas  (better known today as Ground Hog Day).  Being that it was a warm day for this time of year - temps in the upper 40s - we dipped candles and had them blessed by Minister Norm.  Hence our Candlemass celebration. 
Norm blessing the freshly-dipped candles.
To learn more about this ancient holiday,  please click HERE

February~
And afterward we had a fine meal cooked on the hearth.
A real blessing,  to be sure,  that I can  "work"  with some of the best in the  "business."

The president of the Waterloo Farm Museum,  Brian,  is also a reenactor his self,  though he usually will portray himself as a 17th century frontiersman.
Other times he may come out as a local Indian/Native,  as he did on this day in a surprise visit.
February~
We also had a local visitor - - 

Every year Tony holds a commemoration celebrating the birth of the Father of our Country,  George Washington,  usually held at the old school house in Eastpointe.  I personally think this is a very cool idea,  especially considering Washington is my favorite of them all.  Oh,  not necessarily everything he did I agreed with,  but considering he started with nothing and completed what he did,  I am pretty amazed.  So a birthday commemoration is a great way to celebrate the Father of our country as well as to get back into our period clothing.
February~
George Washington Birthday Celebration is a great excuse to have a a chance to get back into our period clothing  (for those who usually don't this time of year)  and visit with friends.
The idea of keeping the room all candle-lit actually can make this 1872 school house look close enough to 18th century as can be done.
February~
George Washington Birthday Celebration
Jennifer Long and I

Then there was the occasion to present as members of the Founding Generation - Founding Fathers and Mother:  the Patriots.  Larissa & I began doing this nearly a decade ago,  and a few years back we welcomed Bob Stark as Ben Franklin into our midst.  But me & Larissa also portray a farm couple,  either from the 18th century or the 19th century for a separate presentation.
February~
Larissa,  Bob,  and I did a winter Patriot Presentation for the Rochester  (Michigan)  Public Library,  presenting as Sybil Ludington,  Ben Franklin,  and I as Paul Revere.  It went very well - it was a packed house!
We enjoy calling out the myths and getting the truth out there.  What is the truth about Sybil Ludington?  You'd have to see our presentation to find out,  but Larissa begins with the infamous story about her then goes on to speak about whether it is fact or fiction. 


March
March was a slow month - slower than usual.  I very much enjoy going to the Kalamazoo Living History Show this time of year,  but we had some pretty nasty snow and ice come through and I chose not to chance the long three hour drive.
So,  I only had one gathering for this month:
March~
I had my annual Citizens of the American Colonies meeting to discuss upcoming events  and any ideas members may have.  It may not be the largest reenacting group in existence,  but I look more for quality of quantity.  And there were a couple members who could not attend on this day.
I always call for a period-dress meeting rather than modern dress.  I think most prefer to wear their 18th century clothing for the meeting for it keeps us more focused...and makes for better pictures lol!  But it's also the chance to make sure it continues to fit.


April
Yes,  it still snows here in Michigan during the month of April,  but we also begin having warmer and sunnier days.  But it's always exciting when this spring month arrives,  for there are at least two opportunities to get dressed and fall into times past  (or times passed).
April~
Members Opening Day at Greenfield Village is always a great time to get out into the open-air museum and visit the historic homes placed there,  such as you see us here in side the Daggett House.
This is the first of many upcoming Greenfield Village visits.
I consider Daggett to be  "my house."
Only because I can imagine myself and my family living here if we were born 250 years before.
But Norm and I also visited The Eagle Tavern for a noontime meal.  
Though this tavern was built in the early 1830s,  the style is still very similar to those built a hundred years before.
April~
During Members Opening Day at Greenfield Village,  Norm & I took made sure to eat
at the 1831 Eagle Tavern

Toward the end of April we have the first bonafide reenactment of the season in these parts:  Patriot's Day.  This is our own little  (but growing)  tribute and commemoration of what occurred on April 19,  1775 - the Battles of Lexington & Concord,  signifying the start of the American Revolution.
April~
I am very proud to see how many reenactors participated in Patriot's Day.
Given that in 2025 - just over a year from this writing - we will be celebrating the 250th anniversary of this very important battle.
I came up with this idea before covid,  and worked it all out by laying out my plans.  Well,  2024 will be the 249th anniversary,  meaning the 250th is just over a year away.  I hope to make both this year's and next year's even bigger and better!
Paul Revere needs a horse!
April~
The Recoats chased the Militia off of our version of Lexington Green.
We may not have hundreds of participants,  but my main goal is to show historical accuracy by utilizing Redcoats and Militia.  I speak to the crowds - the modern visitors - during the battles and explain how much larger it would have actually been.
Our audience grows larger each year as well,  I am proud to say.
April~
Is that a real gun?
Don't put your hand or anything else of value in front of the barrel,  son.
I always look forward to this Patriot's Day event. 
 
Because I want to keep it Redcoats and Militia,  I've actually had a few reenactors get angry at me.  I am actually not being exclusive - I'm just asking for the correct clothing;  so any can take part---just be correct for this scenario.  I've been insisting that all who want to portray the British Regular Army to wear redcoats,  or if they prefer to portray militia,  to have the right clothing for that.   Yes,  it is much smaller,  but growing.  And all are welcome.


May
A select few of us try to make it to what I call the frontier cabin at least once a season,  but oftentimes we'll be out there a few extra times.  It's here where we can make the valiant attempt to experience our research,  and live,  if only for a day at a time,  as those regular folk of the Founding Generation such as farmers.
In fact,  we even get to do a bit of farming/gardening ourselves - this day in May when we were there was Rogation Sunday---another religious holiday from the 18th century where the minister blesses our crop.
To read more about Rogation Sunday,  please click HERE:
May~
Here is our Spring Cabin  group.  We do look a bit like frontier colonials,  don't we?
We are not fancy,  silk wearing folk,  only simple farmers.
If you look to the right,  leaning against the cabin we have farming tools, 
of which we do use in our excursions.
Any who may be invited to come out with us will more than likely find that there are usually jobs to do,  which normally entails getting dirty,  so they'd better not be too concerned about their clothes having stains - that's why they're work clothes.  "But Ken,  it took me weeks to sew this"  or  "These clothes cost be a bundle."
Yep.
But that's the way we are here - 
May~
Patty & Charlotte spent a chunk of the day planting in our garden.
The wonderfully kind folks at Waterloo allow us a plot of land to plant upon,  which we do.  We've planted flax in previous years.  This year we had seeds for onions,  squash,  beans,  cucumbers,  turnips,  and even a few pumpkins.
We hope to enjoy a nice bountiful harvest come fall.
Which,  unfortunately,  did not happen as we had hoped;  we live about an hour and a half drive away from the cabin,  and to make it out frequently - at least every couple days...minimum of once a week - just wasn't going to happen with $3.50 a gallon  (and higher at times)  gas prices.  Plus,  that's an  awful lot of driving.
Oh!  If I only lived closer...!
May~
The ladies inside the cabin prepared a spring meal.
Being that this was still early May,  there were no vegetables yet...but...

May~
We did cheat a little by having green beans and beets.
We were all just happy to be back out in somewhat warmer weather.


June
Three events for June:
Patty and I did make the valiant attempt to head out to weed the Waterloo cabin garden initially,  but as I mentioned,  there was just too much against us.  Perhaps over the winter I'll do some research on plants that won't need as much care.  
June~
Patty and I did go out on our own to do some weeding
We agreed to keep it period and went out in our period clothing
June~
I bought a work smock to help keep my clothes in decent condition. 
Keeping it real...
In my modern life I am no where near to being a farmer,  though my wife knows her plants and keeps a good garden at our modern home.  And I'm not sure,  again in my modern life,  I would want to be a farmer.  However,  should I had been born a couple centuries ago,  I have no doubt that's what I would have been;  my ancestors,  from my grandfather on back,  all farmed the land.  
But farming is so much more than growing plants on a small patch of land.  And since we do not actually live at  (or near)  the cabin,  we do not have the opportunity to visit as often as required to keep the large garden in good order.
Perhaps if we got paid enough,  we could be cajoled into living there for a month or two in the summer - 18th century living,  of course - and see if we could do it.  I would need my back/lower spine cared for first.  But I truly believe Patty & I could make a good go of it  (obviously I could not live there with the other ladies lolol).  If I didn't think we could,  I would admit it.  
June~
I will be the first to admit that I am not a farmer,  but I am learning
quite a bit about the job - - - hands on!
My wife is a brilliant woman,  and I believe between the two of us we could make a good go.
June~
Patty and I relaxed inside the cabin for a bit before heading back out to the field.
'Twas a warm summer day.
Do you see the wood candle holder on the table in the top picture?  Brian surprised me with that as a birthday gift,  and in this bottom picture I am putting it to good use.

Every-so-often I will join up with the Ste.  Claire Voyageur group at one of their events.  I absolutely loved  their reenactment on the banks of Lake St.  Clair in Harrison Township.  Unfortunately,  that events seems to be somewhat on hold,  but they are working to bring it back in some form or another.
Anyhow,  the day after Patty and I went a-weeding at the cabin,  I visited with the Voyageurs at Chesterfield Historical Village for a timeline event.
June~
It was good to see my friend Mark,  a Native American who comes out as his ancestor.
And sometimes he'll join us at other events as a colonial.
Good guy all around.

The third week of June found me back at Waterloo Farms Cabin for the Blacksmith and Soldiers Weekend,  which is an open-to-the-public event.
This is the only event there at the cabin where I dress as an 1860s farmer rather than as one from the colonial period.
June~
Charlotte outsitting in her field  lol.
The garden was getting quite over-grown by this point.  I felt horrible but there wasn't much we could do.  Perhaps Patty & I could move into the cabin for the summer?
Ha!
Wouldn't that  be a trip!?

June~
At the Waterloo Blacksmith & Soldiers Weekend there was a musician named Eddie Josephs.
He graciously allowed me to play his  "Buck Owens"  guitar,  and we played the old Carter Family tune  "Hello Stranger"  (in more of the Emmylou Harris style).
That was great fun!

In very late June my daughter asked if she and I could go together to Greenfield Village just like we used to do years ago.  It would be a late Father's Day thing.
Of course I jumped at the chance!
June~
My daughter and I in the Firestone Farm sitting room  (or everyday parlor).
No,  she pretty much no longer dresses in period clothing,  but that's okay.
This was a nice time for me.  I really enjoyed it.
I am blessed.
We enjoyed nice conversation,  remembering those days when she & I used to go to the Village often together.  She's an adult now and works six days a week,  so our trips like this don't happen very often.
Sadly,  the second part of the day was rain-filled,  but we enjoyed the first half with the promise of doing it again. 
June~
A late June visit to GFV with my daughter.
Yes,  I asked if she minded if I dressed period...obviously,  she didn't!
Here we see the Village was preparing for their 4th of July/Independence Day celebrations.

June~
All summer long I had been visiting weekly to watch as Roy & Chuck made a new well-sweep for the Daggett House.  At times,  I was even able to help just a little.
What is a well-sweep?
Read THIS
Thank you,  honey,  for this day.  I loved it!


July
Patty & I went to Greenfield Village on the 3rd of July to enjoy their Salute to America extravaganza of celebrating America's Independence,  which includes all sorts of patriotic Americana,  including a performance by the Detroit Symphony Orchestra followed by fireworks.  It is a very cool event.  Patty and I dressed colonial - - in fact,  the only others we saw there dressed like the Founding Generation were the 1st Michigan Fife & Drum Corps.  Loads of people stopped us and took our picture.
3rd of July at GFV~
Patty and I enjoying the Independence Day Holiday
at Historic Greenfield Village.
We are in front of the Logan County Court House,  where lawyer
Abraham Lincoln once practiced law  (in the 1840s).

3rd of July at GFV~
The Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
They use real cannons for the 1812 Overture,  by the way.
Awesome!
Of course,  during the popular and well-known ending of the 1812 Overture the fireworks began to pop and light up the sky,  and they are spectacular - every bit as good as any I've seen.
3rd of July at GFV~
This was the second year for this type of pose for us.
Charlotte took this picture.
This really is a wonderful way to celebrate,  and since we are coming upon the 250th,  you can bet we'll continue!  I really have high hopes that Greenfield Village plans to do a little extra for the 250th and the important dates before and after July 4,  2026.  I don't expect another celebration like what was done for the Bicentennial back in 1976,  but they should go beyond for the 250th.
3rd of July at GFV~
I saw the horses on our way out and I had to stop and say  "hi"~
Patty was way ahead so I asked a visitor if she would be kind enough to
snap a photo - she took about a half-dozen awesome pictures! 
Thank you,  whoever you are!
As I've oft repeated,  celebrating the 4th of July is second only to Christmas for me,  as far as holidays go.  Being the lover of history that I am,  especially American  history,  how can such a day go without celebration? 
But my festivities usually go for more than just the one day.
This year it began for me on the 29th of June when my daughter & I visited Greenfield Village.  Followed a few days later again at Greenfield Village for their Salute to America. 
Then the very next day was the Day itself - the 4th of July---Independence Day - - - 
So a few of us spent it as we've been since 2017 - - - at Mill Race Village. 
This was quite the busy couple of days for me!
But so much fun!
4th of July at Mill Race Village~
And such grand folks to spend this day with.
And a nice gathering of us representing the 18th century all came out to celebrate.  Not only has this become the Independence Day celebration for me personally,  but I've heard many of the visitors,  especially recent immigrant,  express their gratitude for bringing a bit of National Pride and Patriotism back.  Screw all those college kids who were brainwashed to hate America.   
4th of July at Mill Race Village~
Tony Gerring and I.
(pic taken by Chris Robey)
Throughout the day we have readings of the Declaration of Independence  (from Ben Franklin),  the firing of muskets,  ringing of bells,  shouts of huzzahs,  and just a grand old time celebrating America!
4th of July at Mill Race Village~
There were actually a few more participants than this,  but had to leave before this  "quick sketch."
I actually begin looking forward to this day here at Mill Race all the year long.

I must admit,  I am not quite as fond of dressing in my 1860s clothing as I am my 18th century clothing.  However,  the people I reenact with make it all worth while.  Plus we look pretty darn good together.  Especially when we do a 1st person living history day at Charlton Park.
July~
It's inside the 1850s Sixberry House at Charlton Park where we have created an 1860s family scenario:  Larissa & I are portraying a married couple,  and Jackie is portraying my sister.  We even had a couple of Union soldiers come and visit this year.  They are actual brothers,  in fact.
We will spend the day having 1860s-type conversations and really make the strong attempt at 1st person,  which is much easier to do for the 1860s than a hundred years earlier.  It is amazing how much language style and usage had changed from the 1770s to the 1860s,  but how little  it actually changed from the 1860s to here in the 21st century.
July~
We also have an annual ice cream social at the Charlton Park event,  and we make out own ice cream - everyone takes a turn at the churn!

And toward the end of July 2023 a few of us took part in a timeline event at the Carleton Branch Library in Monroe,  Michigan.
This was planned and hosted by a young lady with a grand historical vision named Makenzie.
Makenzie also works at Greenfield Village. 
July~
This Monroe timeline event was officially called 
"An Interactive Journey Throughout American History."
Look at the amount of participants she garnered for her first time out.
From Voyageurs to colonial to War of 1812 to the Civil War to WWII,  visitors received a wonderful  "live and in color"  history lesson.  I recently spoke with her - she is spending months teaching students in Germany - and she said she plans to have another in 2024.
Exciting!
July~
Jackie and I also participated,  especially since we didn't make it to the Colonial Frankenmuth event this year due to road constructions and traffic jams. 

July~
That's Makenzie in the center there.
She said she was planning to repeat this event in 2024.

Late July,  once again,  also found us at the cabin at Waterloo,  this time for our summer excursion.
This place has become a sort of second home to me...to all of us to frequent the place.
And to think it all began with a dream I had...
July~
This is one of my absolute favorite pictures of my wife ever...and it
wasn't even taken by me!
Patty,  all stained and wet with dirt,  was coming in from weeding in the garden.
Remember I mentioned we do get dirty at the cabin?  Here's proof!

Even with my sore back I was still out weeding in the garden.  We all work to earn our meal out there,  which is only right.
July~
Norman also joined us again.
Norman portrays an 18th century Lutheran preacher.  The best part is he
researches the type of prayers used at the time - the Bible is the Bible, 
but prayers seem to have changed,  if that makes sense. 
Norm is pretty darn awesome!

July~
Norm,  Patty,  Charlotte,  and myself sitting down to our dinner meal.
Neither Jackie nor Larissa had joined us on this summer cabin excursion.
Not a folding chair in sight - upping our game!
Being at the cabin is my most favorite of any of my living history/reenacting events.  That's not saying I don't enjoy any of the others,  but the cabin is pretty amazing...and so real.


August
As you can tell,  my style of reenacting and living history varies quite a bit from most others.  No,  I'm not saying my way is better  (though,  for me personally it is),  just on a different path.
So let's see where August had me going...
August~
I absolutely love  this sign at Colonial Kensington.
It's perfect for what we do!
Here I am with Charlotte.
Colonial Kensington has been a major event for a couple of decades,  and I haven't missed one since I crossed over to the 18th century in 2014.  It was in a different location back then.  The old location was fine and served very well,  but this new location,  teaming us up with a living history farm,  seems to give off the air of history.
August~
I presented processing flax while at Colonial Kensington.
Lucky for me,  they had their own flax processing tools so I didn't have to bring mine.
Having a purpose at a reenactment really makes a difference.
(Pay no attention to those colored plastic buildings in the back there--lol)~

August~
Jackie shared her knowledge about the uses of tow  (the leftover flax).

August~
A pleasant surprise was when my friend Rae joined us.
Rae is a seamstress and,  of course,  makes her own clothing.
In fact,  a few years back I commissioned her to make me a pair of knee breeches.

August~
Here you see me with my son,  Robbie,  who is a member
of the 1st Pennsylvania.

Mill Race Village,  where we hold Patriot's Day and our 4th of July extravaganza,  also has volunteers out throughout the summer.  And that includes me.  I mean,  any chance I can get to get into my period clothing,  I take it.
I always have a great time teaching the public about the past.
August~
I did a flax demonstration,  and spoke of its history and uses.
Did you know this process dates back thousands of years,  going all the way back to
that first civilization known as Sumer?
Well,  now you do!

So many thought that the Jackson Civil War Muster was done for----that this once largest Civil War reenactment in the Midwest had died a painful death.
Then along comes Maurice Imhoff,  with his youthful vim and vigor and positive attitude and saves the day---saves the Muster!
Jackson's back,  baby,  with no signs of going away!
August~
At the 2023 Jackson event,  Larissa & I were asked to present on Victorian farm life.
We spoke to a large crowd that was filled with interested folk.
Larissa & I have been doing this presentation for years.
For all those former or lazy reenactors who constantly make inane comments like,  "Jackson's not what it used to be,"  as they stay home and watch TV or cut the grass,  they should come on out and help make it what  "it used to be."  It takes participation to make anything a success,  and those who complain but don't take part,  well,  shame on them.  Jackson 2023 was one of the best I have been to,  and I've been going there since 2004.
August~
After the battle there was something I didn't know about:  a very cool after battle medical scenario.
Unfortunately,  I was not aware of it otherwise I may have been able to be more involved,  so I,  instead,  captured the excitement for posterity.
Perhaps this coming year...

August~
This doesn't happen very often for me...capturing the flames from the cannon fire.
It only goes to show just how powerful these weapons can be - even during a mock battle.
Many,  many thanks to Maurice and everyone else for all of the hard work,  time,  and effort that was put in to bring the Jackson Civil War Muster back,  better than ever!


September
Now we head into my favorite time of year - autumn!
Most people have a tendency to think of September 21st as the Autumnal Equinox  (first day of the Astronomical Fall),  but,  well,  here is a fun fact for you:  the Autumnal Equinox usually occurs on September 22 or 23,  though it can very rarely fall on September 21 or September 24.   A September 21 equinox has not happened for several millennia.  However,  in the 21st century,  it will happen twice—in 2092 and 2096.
Imagine that!
However,  I follow more of the meteorological fall:  beginning September 1st rather than three weeks later. 
September~
As I mentioned back in June,  I documented,  through photos and THIS blog post,  Roy  (and Chuck)  making a new well-sweep,  using the old ways.
Well,  I was honored to help Roy place the sweep onto the fulcrum ---- I got to help put it together!  This was great!

September~
So we took a picture together with it!
Again...such an honor.

September~
Roy,  myself,  and Norm - - guy talk...
Even though officially it does not begin until around September 23,  fall,  to me,  begins September 1st.  The feel,  the look,  and even the weather gives me that fall feeling so early on.
September~
...he beheld vast store of  apples;  some hanging in oppressive opulence on the trees;
This is one of the heirloom apple trees planted at Greenfield Village - Baldwin.  The Baldwin apples originated in Massachusetts around 1740.
No,  I am not actually picking an apple - I know better!

River of Time has been a long-standing timeline event going back,  I believe, 30 years or more.  More recently,  I have been able to play a part there as Paul Revere.  This year the event was held in a new - and dare I say,  better - location,  at Johnson's Pumpkin Farm in Saginaw.
September~
Here is Paul Revere  (aka me!)  at the River of Time timeline event.  I was pleased with not only a decently large audience,  but with many good questions asked afterward.  A good number of the visitors were not necessarily history folk,  and only came out to see us reenactors when they happened to notice all the tents and these people dressed in  "funny clothes"  while visiting the pumpkin farm/cider mill.  It was good to see so many interested in their American History.

September~
I really liked the new location for River of Time.  Being at a pumpkin farm/cider mill
this time of the year really beefs up the visitors for us.  And sometimes speaking
to those who are not necessarily history folk can actually be better and more
gratifying than talking to people who are big-time into history.  It's a wonderful
teaching opportunity.  And we also help to bring some pride in our country back.

September~
Larry,  the beer brewer.
This man has only been brewing a short time,  but he has been researching and studying the process and its history.  He makes a variety of beer,  including Ginger and Root Beer.

And the very next Saturday,  still being September,  a few of us ventured to the Lansing area for the Vermillion Creek reenactment.
Fall is my absolute favorite time of year,  and because of this,  it is my favorite time of year to reenact.  If you know anything about Michigan and cider mills,  you know these places of apple picking and cider making and doughnuts and pumpkins are packed every weekend from September through early November,  giving us a wonderful opportunity to teach history in a fun and exciting manner.
September~
With the Vermillion Creek event located at a cider mill,
what better place to be in the autumn time of year? 
It's what we do here in Michigan in the fall.
Got me a pumpkin!
Vermillion Creek is a very cool event,  for it is pretty much the last of the larger reenactments for the season,  so many turn out to take part,  and oftentimes Native Americans will join in to tell their story.  This event began a number of years ago at a different cider mill called Uncle John's Mill,  and moved to this other location on the property of Peacock Road Family Farm,  where they have all kinds of family fall activities,  a few years back.
September~
There's a little log cabin on the site as well near the creek itself.
You can see a bit of it running behind me.
Vermillion Creek has plenty of room for a battle.  In fact,  for demonstration purposes,  they sometimes will fire an actual cannon ball out of a period cannon!  But there are also many who show daily life for the diverse populace that made up 18th century colonial America,  including frontiersmen,  tradesmen,  natives,  and even doctors.
September~
The good Doctor Bloodsworth was also there.
Tom has a fine presentation indeed,  and will make you appreciate
modern medicine practices even more!

September~
Morning colors.
The fog that rolled in gave it an almost mystical feel.


October
Unfortunately there were only two events this October - one,  in all actuality - to take part in.  
Pioneer Day at Waterloo Farm and Museum is one of the highlights for me.  Literally thousands of visitors come through - by the end of the day voices are pretty hoarse!
October~
Pioneer Day at Waterloo Farm,  and we were inside the cabin,  demonstrating
18th century life!
Jackie & Charlotte were doing the food preparation and hearth cooking...

October~
...while my wife,  Patty,  spun on her spinning wheel.
Put Patty in front of an audience,  and she freezes.  Put her behind
her spinning wheel in front of an audience,  and she's as good as gold.

October~
I processed flax on the flax break.
Here I am showing a linen towel - no big deal until the people learn that
linen was made from flax,  which comes from the ground. 
Once the flax is processed and spun into linen thread on a spinning wheel, 
it can then be sent to a weaver so they could weave the
threads into fabric - linen - which can then be made into a large variety of items
such as clothing,  sheets,  and towels.
Charlotte shows the corn-husk broom she made.  This broom is very similar
to the one seen inside the Daggett House.  How cool she did this - she has quite
the knack for crafts such as this!
Pioneer Day has been going on at Waterloo since the 1960s,  and we are honored to take part.  There are Civil War soldiers,  Revolutionary War soldiers,  spinners,  weavers,  blacksmiths,  musicians,  and so many crafters there that it is easy to spend the entire day enjoying this fall event.

And it was back to Greenfield Village a week later.
Yeah,  I know,  I know..."Ken,  you sure visit Greenfield Village often!"
Yes I do!  It's my place of solace...my go-to place of history...and my place to enjoy the changing seasons of the year!  If I lived near Colonial Williamsburg,  Old Sturbridge Village,  or any number of the other historical open-air museums,  I would visit them often as well.
October~
One of the most important buildings  (and professions)  of times past was the gristmill
(and the millers who ran them),  for they would turn cereal grain into flour.

October~
Norm joined me once again for this visit.  If you look close you can see him strolling past
the home of  Noah Webster.
There are dozens upon dozens of historic structures here - 400 years of history!
No wonder I enjoy going so often!
Yes,  I visit the Village often - usually once a week.  I never cease to learn something new.  And they change it up per the season.  I believe it is visiting the two main farms - Daggett & Firestone - that attracts me more than anything else.


November
At this late season of the year,  most reenactors are done until the following spring.
Uh uh - - not me...er,  us
There are new past adventures to experience.
One of the best of the year for me was when we celebrated an 18th century Thanksgiving harvest at the cabin,  taking place the first weekend in November.
November~
Yep,  we had an actual Thanksgiving celebration at the Cabin,  and the ladies really did
a wonderful job on our meal.  It actually felt like Thanksgiving - that's what happens when you  "work"  with such wonderful people such as my friends you see in this photo.
It's our rule that if we invite anyone to join us in these cabin excursions,  we all must agree on said person,  for it is our own private gathering most times we are here.  And we look for people of the same mindset - not all reenactors think the way we do  (lol)  in that we try to immerse ourselves,  totally unscripted,  into our chosen year of 250 years prior to our modern year - so,  at the cabin 2023 became 1773.  And then 2024 will become 1774 at the cabin.
November~
Getting a little dirt and wax and ash on our hands...and clothing.
Autumn time is candle-making time,  and that's what we did,  using linin thread
that was grown as flax,  processed,  and then spun for our wicks.
See the pumpkin cooking there?
Well...

November~
Charlotte cooked a wonderful pumpkin in the fire outside utilizing a 
"trick"  she learned by watching a local Native American presenter,  Sue Dewey.
So Charlotte cooked this pumpkin in the same manner,  and it was so good!
This was impressive~
I am proud to say that my wife grew the pumpkins we were using here - "fresh from the garden!"  she would say.

November~
I truly love the fact that we are so trusted to cook on the hearth inside the Waterloo Cabin.  Larissa,  dressed in blue,  has been doing it for decades,  and she has been teaching Charlotte and Jackie as well.  They have it down.
We refer to each improvement we make as  "upping our game."
That's what we strive to do each and every outing,  especially at the cabin:  up our game:  to note what may not be correct and then research it and then improve on it.
Obviously,  we cannot make everything perfect,  for there are items which may be difficult or too expensive to come by,  but we'll try and,  at the very least,  get the closest or next best thing.  Our goal is to be as such that even if someone from the past should somehow come to the future and see us,  they would not be able to tell the difference.
Um...until we spoke  (lol).
Yeah,  our speech patterns would be a dead give-away.
November~
This was such a nice time - so real and historically accurate. 
We truly celebrated Thanksgiving!  
The four of us make a great team,  which only improves when Norm and/or Patty join us
(and once in a while,  one or two others may as well)!
As I mentioned earlier,  this is not pretending or acting - this is the real deal...each and every cabin excursion is real.  We don't attempt first person,  we don't speak of events such as the Boston Massacre or Tea Party or anything like that as if it were really happening in our time.  Now,  if visitors happen to show up - and every-so-often they will,  even though we are doing a private event - we always will enjoy speaking with them and we may throw something like that in our conversation for their sake to give them a better perspective of what we are doing and why.  Believe it or not,  so many - too many - people have no idea the period in time we are representing.  So giving them a bit of  "current"  news helps.  But that's it - there's no pretending on our part when and while we're on our own.

This entire Thanksgiving celebration day was amazing,  but one of the nicest and most immersive moments came after the sun set:
November~
And we spent some time in the cabin lit only by the hearth and a few candles.
I am very happy that my camera picked up how dark it actually was,  even with candles.
Simply magical.  It was the perfect way to end the day.
The cabin Thanksgiving took place on the first weekend in November - - - for the last weekend of the month a few of us were back at Greenfield Village to celebrate our time away from the stores and shopping malls on Black Friday.  It was also the final daytime weekend for visits to the Village;  aside from the ticketed Holiday Nights event in December,  the Village closes up from the end of December through mid-April.
November~
Our group began rather large,  but over the course of the day some had to leave.
I have been doing this Black Friday at Greenfield Village for at least a decade.
I love it when friends join me.
In all honesty,  there is not too much for us to do at Greenfield Village other than walk around and take pictures.  It's just being there surrounded by all that history...colonial houses and the like,  that makes it all so special for us.  The thing is,  we try to change it all up here and there,  or find ways of keeping an authentic feel in the photo.  The best shots are without flash:
November~
The above photo was taken inside the Daggett house -
I know I've said it before,  but it is a rare deal for us in Michigan to be able to be in and around homes built in the 18th century.  This is why we continuously head to Greenfield Village where there are six structures built before the 1800s:
Daggett House
Plympton House
Giddings House
McGuffey Cabin
Farris Windmill
Cotswold Cottage
Standing at the front of the Giddings House from about 1750.
This is an upscale home built by a shipping merchant.


December
December is a different sort of month,  as far as living history goes.  My period vocal group,  Simply Dickens,  takes up most of my weekends.  We dress mid-19th century and perform Christmas,  New years,  and 12th Night carols of  (mostly)  pre-20th century,  some going as far back as the medieval & renaissance period.  I am including a couple of Simply Dickens photos just because...well,  though it is not reenacting...it is still period.  And,  yes,  I am wearing my 1860s clothing. 
December~
A very Victorian Christmas!
As you can see,  we were not a cookie-cutter  "Victorian"  group.
We tried for historical accuracy in our look and  our carols.
2023 was the final year for Simply Dickens.  My son,  Tommy  (far right with the guitar in this photo)  and I decided that after 22 years as a group,  it was time to say good night.  And we went out with a bang!  Of course,  I am doing a blog post about the group...but it will not be posted until next Christmas time,  most likely.
Our main place place to perform was where we began - at the Holly Dickens Festival in Holly,  Michigan.  This is a pretty amazing and fun festival - no,  not necessarily period authentic,  but it is not meant to be.  It is mostly to give an illusion of a Dickensian Christmas.
December~
Holly Dickens Festival - Yes,  I did get a carriage ride.
In fact,  we all did:

click the arrow to watch and listen to the video.

Perhaps one of the best things we've done while in Holly was to have a sort of  "pub sing" - -  in an actual 19th century pub!  You can witness how this went by checking out the two videos below:


As you can see,  Simply Dickens is/was not your typical cookie-cutter vocal group,  and for that I am quite proud.

Very near the end of December I visited Greenfield Village one final time for the year for their Holiday Nights Christmas program.  We went on December 28,  which was the final night the Village was open..we now have to wait until April 12th to visit again.
My reenacting friends,  Jennifer and Amy,  joined me,  as they've done in past years:
December~
Having our image taken near the cresset in front of the Daggett House.
A cresset is a metal cup or basket,  often mounted to or suspended from a pole,  containing oil,  pitch,  a rope steeped in rosin or something flammable.  They are burned as a light or beacon.
The earliest reference to a Cresset that can be found is in England between 1066 and 1122. 

If you look closely at the photo below,  you can see how fark it is,  and the lantern truly did light our way.  I am carrying the lantern,  while Jennifer and Amy are trudging along with me.  It was a bit of a muddy walk for there was a light rain coming down.
December~
The three of us seem to be making a tradition of having our photos taken along what I would consider to be the more rural part of  Greenfield Village.  It's a sort of back road that runs behind a few of the historic houses,  and it is perfect for this type of photo. 

December~
And then came this shot of us walking up toward Daggett...
lit lantern and all.
With the Daggett House silhouetted behind us,  it is one of my most favorite of photos taken that night.

Since Giddings was having some sort of a winter party,  Jennifer and I danced to a fiddle tune playing through some hidden speakers.
December~
What do you do at an 18th century social gathering?
You dance!
And now we have to wait til April to visit Greenfield Village again...sigh...

This posting began over 80 pictures ago with the 21st Michigan Civil War reenacting group's Christmas party,  for we've always held it in early January.  However,  this Christmas season it was held on December 30...and,  for the first time in nearly 20 years,  it was held in a different location.
December~
 The 21st Michigan - not as many military as we once had,  but that's being worked on.
It's a great group,  if you are interested...
I plan on doing a blog posting next week about this party,  as well as our colonial Christmas party.  There will be plenty more pictures there.
Stay tuned...

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

I've written the following on other posts,  but the words really sit strong with me:
The following notation,  mixed with a few of my own thoughts,  comes from the book  "A Time-Traveler's Guide To Medieval England"  by Ian Mortimer,   and bears repeating here:  "As soon as you start to think of the past as happening  (as opposed to it having happened),  a new way of conceiving history becomes possible.  Reenacting and,  to an even greater extent,  living history,  allows us to to see the inhabitants of the past in a more sympathetic way:  not as a series of graphs and charts showing data of age,  race,  sex,  or occupations,  but,  rather,  as investigations into the sensations of being alive in a different time.  You can start to gain an inkling as to why people did this or that,  and even why they believed things which we may find simply incredible.  You can gain this insight because you know that these people are human,  like you,  and that some of the reactions are simply natural.  In being able to accomplish this sort of  time-travel allows one to understand these people not only in terms of evidence through research,  but also in terms of their humanity,  their hopes and fears,  the drama of their lives.                                               
It is in this way we can be reminded that history is much more than a strictly educational process.  Truly understanding the past is a matter of  experience as well as knowledge;  it is a striving to make a spiritual,  emotional,  poetic,  dramatic,  and inspirational connection with our forebears.  It is about our personal reactions to the challenges of living in previous centuries and earlier cultures,  and our understanding of what makes one century different from another.  We know what love,  fear,  pain,  anger,  grief,  sadness,  and anxiety is like today.  Those in the past knew as well.  This is the human relation we have with our forebears."

At home - winter...with a warm mug of wassail...
May the coming year be filled with all the wonderful blessings a year can hold...
...and then some.


Until next time,  see you in time.

To see the full posts with plenty more pictures of the events listed in this post,  please skim through this Passion for the Past blog.





































~~   ~~   ~~




No comments: